News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

Paramount dumps The Watchmen

Started by Beef, June 07, 2005, 05:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dots

I saw this last night.

I thought it was good.  The music selection was very spot on even during the odd sex scene in Archie. It really could have been about 20-30 minutes shorter, but overall, I liked it.  There were a few people that walked out.

I've never read the novel, but from I was told about the ending, I think that the movie ending was better.  It has a lot less WTFness.

And best line?  When Rorschach is in prison and says, "I'm not locked in here with you! You're locked in here with ME!". That got major cheers.
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Jessie

Finished reading last night.

I liked it, it was good.  I'll probably see the movie this weekend.

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on March 10, 2009, 03:06:05 PM
Dude, the amount of that junk was slightly disturbing. Especially the way it wobbled.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on July 21, 2009, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on March 10, 2009, 03:06:05 PM
Dude, the amount of that junk was slightly disturbing. Especially the way it wobbled.

Yep.  Blue dong was the exact conversation I had with friends immediately after the show.  Did like seeing the boobs of the hot superhero chick!!  Veddy Nice.

Bishamonten

Watched it last night. 

For all its flaws( which are numerous but not overwhelming ) Snyder made the unmakeable film. 

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on July 23, 2009, 07:02:37 AM
Watched it last night. 

For all its flaws( which are numerous but not overwhelming ) Snyder made the unmakeable film. 

I'm about half way through.  It's not perfect, but it gets a lot right.  Morgan is fantastic as the Comedian.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on July 23, 2009, 11:59:22 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on July 23, 2009, 07:02:37 AM
Watched it last night. 

I'm about half way through.  It's not perfect, but it gets a lot right.  Morgan is fantastic as the Comedian.

Yea, I'm looking forward to him as Cole in "The Losers" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Losers_(Vertigo) )

ReBurn

Amazon dropped the ball and shipped my copy late. But it should be here today.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

eo000

Beefy

Finished it last night.  Ending didn't satisfy so much, but that might improve upon another viewing.  It just felt very abrupt compared to the pacing of everything that came before it.

I didn't think Malin Akerman killed the film at all.  The guy playing Nixon was a bit too cartoonish for me.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on July 24, 2009, 10:14:56 AM
Finished it last night.  Ending didn't satisfy so much, but that might improve upon another viewing.  It just felt very abrupt compared to the pacing of everything that came before it.

I didn't think Malin Akerman killed the film at all.  The guy playing Nixon was a bit too cartoonish for me.

Malin Akerman did fine.  It's not as if the Silk Spectre II was an incredibly deep character.

Bishamonten

Oh yea, one thing I couldn't help but think:  Thank god Zack Snyder didn't want to make League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

That would have been one very disturbing film.

dazie

I actually really dug League.  You just reminded me.  I should put it in Catchr's/DJ's thread.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on July 24, 2009, 11:03:17 AM
I actually really dug League.  You just reminded me.  I should put it in Catchr's/DJ's thread.

Watching League was "the winter of my discontent!!"

Bishamonten

Such a travesty of a film. 

Have you read the source material?

dazie

Quote from: Bishamonten on July 24, 2009, 11:37:02 AM

You mean King Solomon's Mines, Tom Sawyer, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Grey?  ;)  Yes. (well, 3/5 of them anyway)

I have not, however, read the graphic novel/comic book/whatever they based the movie on.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

I just noticed that Stephen Norrington hasn't been allowed to direct another film since.

Bishamonten

Quote from: dazie on July 24, 2009, 11:43:21 AM

You mean King Solomon's Mines, Tom Sawyer, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Grey?  ;)  Yes. (well, 3/5 of them anyway)

I have not, however, read the graphic novel/comic book/whatever they based the movie on.

The graphic novel pulls NO punches. 

Quartermaine is fished out of an opium den.  Hyde is a savage murderer w/ no respect for life.  The invisible man is a thief, rapist, and all around see you next tuesday.  Mina is no g-d vampire, simply a woman who survived a horrific ordeal with the scars to prove it. 

The movie had -none- of this.  The dirtyness was polished away along with any chance at character development.  Characters like Tom Sawyer and Dorian Gray were added to, in my opinion, include more pretty people. 

The scene where they all put their hands out for the "lets come together and beat the bad guy from Moulin Rouge" made me throw my bag of skittles at the screen. 

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on July 24, 2009, 11:46:55 AM

I just noticed that Stephen Norrington hasn't been allowed to direct another film since.

Yea...about that:

On December 14, 2008, Stephen Norrington announced in Variety that he planned to write and direct a "reinvention" of The Crow. Norrington distinguished between the original and the remake: "Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style."[2] Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media is currently negotiating with Ed Pressman for both the film's rights and financing.

TL;DR - I like the crow and I was a fan of BSG so I'm going to ape that style!

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on July 24, 2009, 12:28:35 PM
Quote from: Beefy on July 24, 2009, 11:46:55 AM

Yea...about that:

On December 14, 2008, Stephen Norrington announced in Variety that he planned to write and direct a "reinvention" of The Crow. Norrington distinguished between the original and the remake: "Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style."[2] Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media is currently negotiating with Ed Pressman for both the film's rights and financing.

TL;DR - I like the crow and I was a fan of BSG so I'm going to ape that style!

Is there really an audience for another Crow film?  Even the straight to video releases didn't fair that well.

Beefy

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

A friend of mine was Silk Jupiter or whatever the crap she's called for Halloween, so I eventually decided to watch this to figure out who the hell she was.  Good lord, this movie was one of the longest pieces of dreck I've ever seen.  Except the big blue dong, that was entertaining.

dots

I bought the novel a few weeks ago.

So far, it's great. Will have to watch the movie again after...which will probably be months from now.
You're an asshole and I hate you.