News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

Paramount dumps The Watchmen

Started by Beef, June 07, 2005, 05:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Gamplayerx

I've been saying that for weeks now.

ReBurn

aintitcool needs a filter like Fark has for the first post.  Except that instead of boobies it calls the submitter a cockmonster or something like that.  That would be cool.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 16, 2005, 03:31:53 PM
aintitcool needs a filter like Fark has for the first post.  Except that instead of boobies it calls the submitter a cockmonster or something like that.  That would be cool.

haha

Dry then Catch

its a comic book series, supposedly one of the best ever, right?  sort of obscure though, i think a bunch of xmen, fantastic four and like avengers all team up.  but im probably wrong

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 17, 2005, 11:59:43 AM
its a comic book series, supposedly one of the best ever, right?  sort of obscure though, i think a bunch of xmen, fantastic four and like avengers all team up.  but im probably wrong

You are correct in that you're wrong.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on August 16, 2005, 06:29:56 AM
Dead.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21010

Insert sigh of relief.

Thank God.

I love this book.  It doesn't need to be a movie.  Frankly, I don't see why Alan Moore keeps letting people make films of his work!  None of them have worked out.  In fact, they've all been trainwrecks.  V for Vendetta looks -horrid-.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on August 17, 2005, 12:13:22 PM
Dead.

Insert sigh of relief.

Thank God.

I love this book.  It doesn't need to be a movie.  Frankly, I don't see why Alan Moore keeps letting people make films of his work!  None of them have worked out.  In fact, they've all been trainwrecks.  V for Vendetta looks -horrid-.

Swamp Thing is a work of genius!

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on August 17, 2005, 12:30:16 PM
Dead.

Insert sigh of relief.

Thank God.

Was that based on Moore's run on Swamp Thing?

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on August 17, 2005, 12:37:05 PM
Dead.

Insert sigh of relief.

Thank God.

I doubt it, but I'd be amused if it was.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on August 17, 2005, 12:37:56 PM
Quote from: Bishamonten on August 17, 2005, 12:37:05 PM
Dead.

Insert sigh of relief.

Thank God.

I doubt it, but I'd be amused if it was.

Moore's run on Swamp Thing is considered a high water mark.

Beefy

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on August 17, 2005, 12:41:38 PM
Quote from: Bishamonten on August 17, 2005, 12:38:56 PM
Swamp Thing... high water mark.

You did that on purpose.

There may have been some leaning toward a pun.  But I'll deny it if asked directly.

Beefy

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on March 28, 2006, 11:28:20 AM
New director attached.  Not necessarily bad news, either.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22841

Moriarties diatribe aside, I still think it's a bad idea to make this into a movie.  The original art form was enough.  It doesn't need the eventual "retelling" it will surely get.  It has form and substance and lends itself well to the media in which it was originally presented.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 28, 2006, 12:07:34 PM
Quote from: Beefy on March 28, 2006, 11:28:20 AM
New director attached.  Not necessarily bad news, either.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22841

Moriarties diatribe aside, I still think it's a bad idea to make this into a movie.  The original art form was enough.  It doesn't need the eventual "retelling" it will surely get.  It has form and substance and lends itself well to the media in which it was originally presented.

That's a totally legitimate stance.  And I lean towards agreeing with you.

That said, I am adamantly of the opinion that Alan Moore's works, and any other narrative work in any other medium, can be made into a respectible film given the right people working on it without suits calling the creative shots.  You'll never get a completely faithful translation, as the mediums tell their narratives differently, but you can retain the spirit and intent and as much of the story as is necessary.

I purposefully avoided reading V for Vendetta until after I saw the film so I could watch the movie objectively.  Now I'm ready to read the trade and decide which I like more.  I can't do that with Watchmen, but at least the project seems to keep landing in the hands of people who express an interest and doing the project right.

Of course, doing it right would make the suits very uneasy.

But yeah, it probably ought to stay in it's medium.  The reality is that too many compromises will likely have to take place.  Perhaps the decision will ultimately be decided upon V's box office totals.

Bennyhana

Without reading any comics, I can say that this argument would be moot if hollywood would accept some new ideas.  It's getting seriously stale down there.  When I went to see V for Vendetta, there were 5 previews- 2 remakes and 3 sequels.  Pathetic.

Beefy

Quote from: Bennyhana on March 28, 2006, 02:28:52 PM
Without reading any comics, I can say that this argument would be moot if hollywood would accept some new ideas.  It's getting seriously stale down there.  When I went to see V for Vendetta, there were 5 previews- 2 remakes and 3 sequels.  Pathetic.

While I would love to see more original content, Hollywood is first and foremost a business, and so they make the kinds of films that generate profit.  Blame the parents who took their kid to see Shrek 2 four times.  If people didn't go see or buy these films, they wouldn't be making them.  Occasionally, they get bit, like with Bewitched last summer.  But by the time that usually happens, a new popular trend has come through.

Some of the blame for remakes also has to lay with the current youth, most of whom can't be bothered to watch older films.  So that leaves a huge door open for modernizations and profit.  The Hills Have Eyes is a great example of this, and it's not even 30 years old.  You can just rent the original!

Bennyhana

Quote from: Beefy on March 28, 2006, 04:08:34 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on March 28, 2006, 02:28:52 PM

While I would love to see more original content, Hollywood is first and foremost a business, and so they make the kinds of films that generate profit.  Blame the parents who took their kid to see Shrek 2 four times.  If people didn't go see or buy these films, they wouldn't be making them.  Occasionally, they get bit, like with Bewitched last summer.  But by the time that usually happens, a new popular trend has come through.

Some of the blame for remakes also has to lay with the current youth, most of whom can't be bothered to watch older films.  So that leaves a huge door open for modernizations and profit.  The Hills Have Eyes is a great example of this, and it's not even 30 years old.  You can just rent the original!

My prediction is that the next trend will be Theatrical Re-releases.  They'll probably re-mix the sound for Dolby Digital and maybe include some scenes cut from the original theatrical release.

Listener

Having read Watchmen, I'd like to see it as a film, but the problem is that it takes place back in the 80s and Hollywood would update it to 2000+ standards.  Then the story would lose something.

Beefy

Rorschach sighting!

Looks like this is happening.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31814

Beefy

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on March 20, 2007, 07:05:40 AM
http://www.reelzchannel.com/moviedetail.aspx?movieid=223693&clipid=18326

Looks like Snyder is out to prove the worrying fanboys wrong.

Jesus fuck, keep Tom Cruise as far away from this film as possible.