BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

23 days and counting

Started by Beef, June 23, 2005, 10:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Beefy

Midnight tonight.

Rumors are running rampant that one of the three leads will actually bite the dust this time.

I doubt it would be Harry, though I would be impressed if it was.

nishi

Quote from: Beefy on July 15, 2005, 10:41:45 AM
Midnight tonight.

Rumors are running rampant that one of the three leads will actually bite the dust this time.

i'm curious about why you'd be impressed....
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dc

Midnight tonight.

I know who it is!!!

eo000

Quote from: dc on July 15, 2005, 10:54:45 AM
Midnight tonight.

I know who it is!!!

you like being evil, don't you?

dc

Quote from: eo000 on July 15, 2005, 11:01:17 AM
Midnight tonight.

I know who it is!!!

I do.  I'm still contemplating posting spoilers in random threads.....  Like this -- The "Half Blood Prince" is Michael Eisner.

Beefy

Quote from: nishi on July 15, 2005, 10:54:24 AM
Midnight tonight.

Because it would break from a successful formula to do something truly exciting and different.  Take a character you have an emotional investment in and show that sometimes good doesn't always win.  Have the cojones to kill THE major character of the series and then take the story in a new, unforeseen direction.

Of course, killing Harry wouldn't inherently be cool if it wasn't handled in a unique and credible way.  Otherwise it's just death for shock value.

Then again, shock value might not be that bad a thing with a staling formula.

eo000

Quote from: dc on July 15, 2005, 11:03:31 AM
Quote from: eo000 on July 15, 2005, 11:01:17 AM
Midnight tonight.

I know who it is!!!

I do.  I'm still contemplating posting spoilers in random threads.....  Like this -- The "Half Blood Prince" is Michael Eisner.

hahahahahhahaha.

dc

Quote from: Beefy on July 15, 2005, 11:04:13 AM
Quote from: nishi on July 15, 2005, 10:54:24 AM
Midnight tonight.

Because it would break from a successful formula to do something truly exciting and different.  Take a character you have an emotional investment in and show that sometimes good doesn't always win.  Have the cojones to kill THE major character of the series and then take the story in a new, unforeseen direction.

Of course, killing Harry wouldn't inherently be cool if it wasn't handled in a unique and credible way.  Otherwise it's just death for shock value.

Then again, shock value might not be that bad a thing with a staling formula.

Without revealing anything, this book in my opinion, at least, is decidedly more adult in tone and structure.  Less focused on action than on structuring the entire story and completing it for the final part.  Things happen that have to happen for the story to reach its conclusion.  Even the death has to happen.

Plus, for those of you with a vested interest in Hermoine, we find out that wizards and witches "come of age" at 17, which gives you a year less to wait.

Beefy

Let's see if I can articulate this properly.

Each of the novels, thus far, have followed the same basic formula: Harry has unfortunate summer with Aunt and Uncle before getting rescued by his magic friends, he goes to school where he gets to play Quiddich, learn some new magic that will undoubtably come in handy for whatever lifethreatening foe he will face, and all is somehow and somewhat resolved in time for a bitter sweet goodbye.

Each new tome introduces a new outlandish mystical creature, but with each new one you gain a greater sense of, "Okay, here's this book's latest creature", instead of having a real point to it's existence.  The threat level to Harry increases with each new book, which is nice, as is the adult shift in tone, but the formula remains the same.  Even dying characters have become part of the formula each time, meaning that they hold less weight.  The death in Goblet of Fire held more weight because it hasn't happened before.  In book five and now six, the impact gets lessened because you're expecting as part of the established formula.

What if Harry went to rescue Ron and didn't succeed?  What if he was killed?  It would hold weight as shock value, but also as an abrupt departure from the formula.  What would the seventh book now be about?  There would be no telling how it would map out, and suddenly without an established formula, anticipation for what would happen next would be delicious.

I guess I get frustrated because she created a world and characters that took the world over by heart, but they're dying under the weight of familiarity.

Shut the damn school down.  Increase the threat so that the comfort zone of the usual formula isn't feasible anymore.  Tell us a new story instead of regurgitating the old one.

All that said, I'll probably be at the store at midnight.

dc

Quote from: Beefy on July 15, 2005, 11:28:58 AM
Let's see if I can articulate this properly.

Each of the novels, thus far, have followed the same basic formula: Harry has unfortunate summer with Aunt and Uncle before getting rescued by his magic friends, he goes to school where he gets to play Quiddich, learn some new magic that will undoubtably come in handy for whatever lifethreatening foe he will face, and all is somehow and somewhat resolved in time for a bitter sweet goodbye.

Each new tome introduces a new outlandish mystical creature, but with each new one you gain a greater sense of, "Okay, here's this book's latest creature", instead of having a real point to it's existence.  The threat level to Harry increases with each new book, which is nice, as is the adult shift in tone, but the formula remains the same.  Even dying characters have become part of the formula each time, meaning that they hold less weight.  The death in Goblet of Fire held more weight because it hasn't happened before.  In book five and now six, the impact gets lessened because you're expecting as part of the established formula.

What if Harry went to rescue Ron and didn't succeed?  What if he was killed?  It would hold weight as shock value, but also as an abrupt departure from the formula.  What would the seventh book now be about?  There would be no telling how it would map out, and suddenly without an established formula, anticipation for what would happen next would be delicious.

I guess I get frustrated because she created a world and characters that took the world over by heart, but they're dying under the weight of familiarity.

Shut the damn school down.  Increase the threat so that the comfort zone of the usual formula isn't feasible anymore.  Tell us a new story instead of regurgitating the old one.

All that said, I'll probably be at the store at midnight.

I think you'll like this one.

eo000

have you finished it already?

ignom

I'm going to go to the bookstore tomorrow and just scan the last chapter or so.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

nishi

time for me to hit the trail, kids - i'm heading out to cincinnati for my harry potter read a thon weekend, with a break at noon tomorrow to see mr. depp portray willie wonka.

i'll check in.

don't get into too much trouble.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Quote from: nishi on July 15, 2005, 03:17:59 PM
time for me to hit the trail, kids - i'm heading out to cincinnati for my harry potter read a thon weekend, with a break at noon tomorrow to see mr. depp portray willie wonka.

i'll check in.

don't get into too much trouble.

have fun.  ;D

Beefy

Some jackhole just blew the spoiler on TF.   >:(

ignom

Quote from: Beefy on July 15, 2005, 03:52:18 PM

If it's true, the same thing is all over the greenlighted thread.

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on July 15, 2005, 03:59:49 PM

So I'm noticing.

Beefy

And if it wasn't true, dc would be in here refuting it.

ignom

Quote from: Beefy on July 15, 2005, 04:05:46 PM
And if it wasn't true, dc would be in here refuting it.

Or he could just be sitting back and laughing.

dc

Quote from: ignom on July 15, 2005, 03:59:49 PM

I haven't been to fark today, so I can neither confirm nor deny the rumors.

Beefy

The death in book 5 was spoiled for me, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some tard would do it again. 

Meanwhile, people are stupid:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/4682519.stm

dc

OK, I've seen the spoilers, but I still will neither confirm nor deny it.  If people over there want to post stuff, let 'em, but I won't do it here.

BigDun

I finished it. Anyone else?
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.