News:

I went to the general store.  They wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

Main Menu

hey dc (and other computer types)

Started by swolt, January 17, 2007, 10:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

Jessie is having some odd internet problems. She can access AIM and other web services, such as Remote Desktop, but she can't pull up web pages. I think comcast is blocking port 80. This only happens at night.
Is there a way to set up a page that opens on another port? I mean I know it can be done, I just don't know hard it is or if you have that kind of access on the server.

I was wondering because ... well I wanted to know, but also maybe we (and I mean you) could set up a mirror junto site on another port so Jessie can still access it.

Of course if this is too much work don't worry about it. I'm really just curious if it can be done easily.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

meredith

I could easily set a proxy on my site so she could try through the ssl port (https://hattmoward.org/juntoproxy/  for example)  but all the links here are absolute links so it won't work so well.

swolt

I opened port 81 on my server and set up a test page. But now she can access everything, so we have to wait to test it.

I really want to figure this out before comcast does :)

ReBurn

Maybe you should send them a bill!

It sounds to me like they might be having DNS issues if the issue is related to web pages.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dc

Quote from: ReBurn on January 17, 2007, 11:39:01 PM
Maybe you should send them a bill!

It sounds to me like they might be having DNS issues if the issue is related to web pages.

I can't believe they would block port 80...  Not intentionally, at least.  But it is Comcast.

It could be DNS.  Have her try OpenDNS instead of the Comcast DNS.  Go to www.opendns.com and they have instructions there.

Edit -- They do block incoming port 80 traffic at least.  That prevents people setting up servers.  But they shouldn't be blocking attempts to connect with 80 on an outside server.  Try the DNS stuff first.  Comcast has had a lot of problems with that.

Jessie

I hate Comcast.

Yesterday, they tried to tell me that it was a well known issue with electricity in my apartment complex, and that the management here refused to fix it.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

BigDun

I have Comcast and I have a webserver setup in my basement. They aren't blocking incoming http requests on port 80 where I live.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

Whatever the issue is, it's my entire neighborhood, and it's been going on for a while.

I just wish they'd told me that BEFORE I switched my service.  Dicks.

swolt

I had her switch to the Cox DNS and it didn't work. I had her pull up my site on port 81 and it worked, but it wouldn't work on port 80.

meredith

Do connections timeout or are they kiboshed immediately?

swolt

Quote from: hatt on January 18, 2007, 08:28:47 AM
Do connections timeout or are they kiboshed immediately?

They seem to drop immediately.

I had jessie remote desktop into my test computer at work and she got in fine. She was connecting to the domain name, not the IP address.

It's odd, I tells ya.

meredith

Comcast's filter was a black hole last time i checked.  Did you try telnet to see if the connection opens at all?

given "http://hattmoward.org/":

telnet hattmoward.org 80
(once connected)
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: hattmoward.org

(enter twice to indicate end of request and request headers)

Beefy

C'mon now, guys.  I like a good challenge as well as the next person, but is Jessie really worth all of this effort?

swolt

Quote from: Beefy on January 18, 2007, 08:52:01 AM
C'mon now, guys.  I like a good challenge as well as the next person, but is Jessie really worth all of this effort?

Yes. Yes she is.

swolt

I didn't think about telnet, I'll have to try that.

As a side note, jessie didn't ask me to do any of this. I just want to figure it out. Plus it's a good distraction from homework, which is what I was suppose to be doing last night :)
(I did finish my homework, btw)

Beefy

Quote from: swolt on January 18, 2007, 08:58:01 AM
As a side note, jessie didn't ask me to do any of this. I just want to figure it out. Plus it's a good distraction from homework, which is what I was suppose to be doing last night :)
(I did finish my homework, btw)

Okay, as long as it's mainly for the challenge and not for Jessie.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on January 18, 2007, 08:52:01 AM

haha.  GFY <3

meredith

i dunno about swolt but i expect a hand job

swolt

Quote from: hatt on January 18, 2007, 10:19:32 AM
i dunno about swolt but i expect a hand job

I am not giving out hand jobs

Jessie

I can't get in touch with the local bitch who lied to me yesterday so I called the number that routes to their Nashville call center.

Apparently I have an appointment sometime between 1 and 5 today that nobody bothered to inform me about.  Nice.

Bennyhana

This is why I refuse to patronize comcast until I absolutely have to.  (and by have to, I mean can't get cable any other affordable way)

Jessie

For me, it's either Comcast, or the slow ass DSL through a small local company that I've had for the past year.

I didn't want to use them, either, but I really wanted high speed internet...

Gamplayerx

I've never had a problem with Comcast.  They just don't like you.

Alice

We've had Comcast for a month - even before we had them they dicked us around.  We were without cable for about a month because they're idiots. 

meredith

I've never had much trouble with comcast, but they have a terrible reputation.  Personally, I've probably screwed them out of more money than they've managed to screw me out of.  I was providing free internet over wireless to at least 8 apartments in Indy.