News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

CAKE TACOS!

Started by Alice, May 11, 2006, 10:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I have talked it over with the roomie.  We are going to attempt some cake tacos on Saturday.  We have worked through some of the logistics and think we have a good solution to some possible cake taco problems.

We have also found some friends that are willing to be taste testers and let us know the truth about cake tacos. 

PICTURES AND TESTIMONIALS WILL BE POSTED!

Jessie

Ok, so is this cake shaped like tacos, or taco shells with cake inside, or cake with mexican seasoned icing?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

Quote from: Jessie on May 11, 2006, 10:12:01 PM
Ok, so is this cake shaped like tacos, or taco shells with cake inside, or cake with mexican seasoned icing?
I was on the phone with Anthony when I typed this.  He asked what I was doing, so I read it to him.  He is quite confused now.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on May 11, 2006, 10:12:01 PM
The plan thusfar is this (may be modified depending on how the initial steps work out):

1. Fry flour tortillas on the stove, in oil, to make them taco shells.  (If you've never done this, you should.  They are way better than store bought shells.)
2. Dip recently fried tortillas into a sugar/cinnamon mix.
3. Bake a cake.
4. Crumble said cake into a bowl.
5. Mix in a tub of Cool Whip.
6. Stuff shells with cake/whip mixture.
7. Pipe buttercream frosting on the top for the "sour cream" effect.
8. Run 8 miles to work off the sugar rush.

WileE

You should seriously consider some fruit, like strawberries or mangos or something fruitish.  It will help break up the texture and enhance the flavor experience.  I would also suggest a shot of rum, or perhaps Grand Manier (however you spell it).  You could also use some nuts for texture.
Snakes on a mutha-f%$#in' plane!!!

"The Temple of Syrnix is havin' the bake sale of the year."

Alice

Quote from: WileE on May 11, 2006, 10:20:31 PM
You should seriously consider some fruit, like strawberries or mangos or something fruitish.  It will help break up the texture and enhance the flavor experience.  I would also suggest a shot of rum, or perhaps Grand Manier (however you spell it).  You could also use some nuts for texture.
Oh trust me, we'll go crazy if it works out.

I was thinking about making a cake taco with chocolate cake, mixing some caramel topping in with it and the cool whip, the sprinkling coconut on the top.  Also, using angel food cake and mixing it with strawberry cool whip.

Mmmmm... cake tacos.  :drool:

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Yeah... you need some nuts up in that sweet, sweet taco.

*giggle*

WileE

Trust me, from what you have described, it will definately work.  I would suggest mascerating the fruit....that would be the tastiest. 

Maybe I will make these for the next poker night.  :)

Alice

Quote from: WileE on May 11, 2006, 10:25:30 PM
Trust me, from what you have described, it will definately work.  I would suggest mascerating the fruit....that would be the tastiest. 

Maybe I will make these for the next poker night.  :)
I will let you know how they turn out!

And I'll post our "final" recipe on here.  Do you know how to make your own taco shells?

Jessie

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on May 11, 2006, 10:24:06 PM
Yeah... you need some nuts up in that sweet, sweet taco.

*giggle*
hah!

WileE

Nope.

You could also make a cake con queso, where you put the mascerated fruit, cool whip, icing, et al.  in a shallow bowl, almost like a casserole, and use pita or tortilla chips to dip.

nishi

Quote from: WileE on May 11, 2006, 10:20:31 PM

i'm with you on this. i'd also 86 the buttercream and go with sweetened sour cream or even yogurt - like what you'd put on top of a cheesecake. but buttercream is so sweet that it makes my teeth hurt, so that's why that would be out for me.

also - chopped mint in place of cilantro.

also, chocolate cake, so that it would look more like taco filling.

macerated mangoes and strawberries or raspberries for the salsa....

alice, you make your version, and wilE and i will work on the alternative version!
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

I also have a mix for Red Velvet cake.  I was debating using that too.

I definitley want to try other forms if this works out.  I'm just all about getting the basics down first.  :)

Oh, and how to make your own taco shells:

1. Heat up oil in a pan, a half an inch should do it.
2. Place half of the tortilla in oil.
3. Make sure to hold up the other half, out of the oil, with tongs.  Yes, you have to hold it the whole time.  Hold it so it looks a bit like a taco.
4. Flip the tortilla shell over, holding up the already fried part. 
5. Dry on a paper towel.

The nice thing about making your own, besides the taste, is that you have total control over how crisp the shell is. 

WileE

Something else to think about, though it will likely sound crazy.

When you mascerate the fruit, I would add in one very fresh, and very finely minced, jalepeno pepper.  That would really enhance the salsa experience, and the spice of the pepper would help offset the sweet of the taco.  Spicy and sweet are a natural together, like tobasco sauce on devil's food cake.

Alice

Quote from: WileE on May 11, 2006, 10:55:44 PM

When you mascerate the fruit, I would add in one very fresh, and very finely minced, jalepeno pepper.  That would really enhance the salsa experience, and the spice of the pepper would help offset the sweet of the taco.  Spicy and sweet are a natural together, like tobasco sauce on devil's food cake.
Are you pregnant?

nishi

you are my new best friend. i love hot with sweet fruit. especially with mango.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

[/b]

That makes me...want to die.

Alice

Quote from: nishi on May 11, 2006, 11:04:26 PM

If you have a Target near you, they have a marinade in their store brand (Archer Farms, I think) that is Mango Curry.  It is freaking amazing.  I think for the last 3 months, that's the only way I've made chicken.

WileE

:)

I make a mean mango salsa which is served with toasted french bread and a marinaded and roasted roast.  It is fabulous.

Sock, trust me, it is fantastic.  It has to be the rich devil's food cake, with the heavy, rich chocolate icing.  It also must be Tobasco brand pepper sauce.  You only use a drop or two.  The peppers they use, blended with the rich, sweet cake is truly something to experience.  Anytime I bring it up, people look at me like I am insane, but try it before you mock it...it really is quite good.

Alice

What about a "tropical" cake taco?  Lemon cake, mixed with vanilla yogurt, mangos and pineapple?

WileE

That could work...I would suggest grilling the pineapple.  It deepens the flavor, and will help dry out some of the juice, which would turn your taco into paste.  :)

nishi

Quote from: WileE on May 11, 2006, 11:08:31 PM

:)

I make a mean mango salsa which is served with toasted french bread and a marinaded and roasted roast.  It is fabulous.

*i* also make a mean mango salsa!!

i mostly eat mine with a spoon, but it tastes pretty awesome on any number of things, especially chicken hot off the grill.

mango salsa is totally the deal.

i also put either peaches or mangos into gazpacho. mangos just lend themselves to hot peppers, onion, garlic, and cilantro.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

Quote from: WileE on May 11, 2006, 11:11:58 PM
That could work...I would suggest grilling the pineapple.  It deepens the flavor, and will help dry out some of the juice, which would turn your taco into paste.  :)

agreed. and i might use a coconut cake instead of lemon.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

obviously, we have developed an entirely new line of desserts and must find a marketing concept immediately.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.