News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

Concerts

Started by Alice, August 30, 2005, 12:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

Quote from: DownSouth on August 30, 2005, 02:46:09 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on August 30, 2005, 02:40:15 PM
BEST:  Social D the first time, U2 the first two times, INXS front row, STP, Green Day, REM (for very cheap no less)

WORST: The chick, the wild guilded yak that Beef mentioned opening for Yo La Tengo.  She was the worst I've ever seen aside from Mystic Cross.

MOST ODD: Aquabats!

MOST DISAPPOINTING:  Dave Matthews 2nd time, Smashing Pumpkins, Bruce Springsteen 2nd time
Smashing Pumpkins were bad.  I couldn't understand any words and his voice sounded like shit.

That reminds me, add Def Leppard to the list of disappointments.  The guy had zero vocal ability left after years of hard drugs, smoking and drinking.

Beefy

Quote from: vikingjuice on August 30, 2005, 02:52:29 PM
BEST:  Social D the first time, U2 the first two times, INXS front row, STP, Green Day, REM (for very cheap no less)

WORST: The chick, the wild guilded yak that Beef mentioned opening for Yo La Tengo.  She was the worst I've ever seen aside from Mystic Cross.

MOST DISAPPOINTING:  Dave Matthews 2nd time, Smashing Pumpkins, Bruce Springsteen 2nd time
Smashing Pumpkins were bad.  I couldn't understand any words and his voice sounded like shit.

That reminds me, add Def Leppard to the list of disappointments.  The guy had zero vocal ability left after years of hard drugs, smoking and drinking.

"I've got one question for you... do you know where I can find a good burrito?!"

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on August 30, 2005, 02:59:20 PM

"I've got one question for you... do you know where I can find a good burrito?!"

I'm thinking I should know that but it isn't ringing a bell.

Beefy

Quote from: vikingjuice on August 30, 2005, 03:00:06 PM
Quote from: Beefy on August 30, 2005, 02:59:20 PM

I'm thinking I should know that but it isn't ringing a bell.

You and BT and I spent that entire show coming up with different foods that Joe Elliott wanted to have.  The correct answer to the question, obviously, is Do You Wanna Get Rocked, but Joe was so pudgy we changed it to foods.

VikingJuice

A great moment in a show once, but NOT a great show, had the lead singer of Great White verbally pissing on Nirvana and how they sucked.  Wow, talk about balls.  If there ever was a case of the pot calling the kettle black...

VikingJuice

I do recall that.  Chicken wing was my vote!

dazie

In comparison, I haven't been to any concerts.   :-\

However- Chick Corea and the Acoustic Band was great, Wynton Marsalis Blood on the Fields sucked.

REM/10,000 Maniacs was good, the Bangles were horrid.  (booed off the stage horrid)

Barry Manilow was AWESOME!

Most of my kids' concerts have been pretty kickass too.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on August 30, 2005, 03:27:19 PM

However- Chick Corea and the Acoustic Band was great, Wynton Marsalis Blood on the Fields sucked.

REM/10,000 Maniacs was good, the Bangles were horrid.  (booed off the stage horrid)

awww.. did you not know how to walk like an egyptian....... walk like an egyptian?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

dazie

Quote from: Marixis on August 30, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

awww.. did you not know how to walk like an egyptian....... walk like an egyptian?

:hit:

No.  They just flat out sucked.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on August 30, 2005, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: Marixis on August 30, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

:hit:

No.  They just flat out sucked.

I know.. sad to admidt i had a crush on them.  what a lousy fantasy to have growing up.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

BigDun

One of the worst concerts I have seen was The Cars. Rick Ocasek has no stage presence and I don't think he moved anything other than his mouth through the entire concert. It was kind of like watching a life size poster of him sing his songs.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: BigDun on August 30, 2005, 05:08:50 PM
One of the worst concerts I have seen was The Cars. Rick Ocasek has no stage presence and I don't think he moved anything other than his mouth through the entire concert. It was kind of like watching a life size poster of him sing his songs.
the poster does seem to command more of a stage presence.

VikingJuice

When did you see them?  I saw 'em in '87 but all I remember is the two chicks in front of me that smoked 4 fat ass joints in like 30 minutes.  I'm sure I had a good contact high going.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: vikingjuice on August 30, 2005, 06:27:02 PM

When did you see them?  I saw 'em in '87 but all I remember is the two chicks in front of me that smoked 4 fat ass joints in like 30 minutes.  I'm sure I had a good contact high going.

SEE, point proven.  you go see a big name concert of its time and all you remember is 2 chicks 4 joints.  Atleast you remembered the joints.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Marixis on August 30, 2005, 06:29:11 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on August 30, 2005, 06:27:02 PM

SEE, point proven.  you go see a big name concert of its time and all you remember is 2 chicks 4 joints.  Atleast you remembered the joints.

Sorry, I had a hard time reading that because my eyes were STILL blurry.

Dry then Catch

Strong Sad likes Godspeed You Black Emperor

ursus

This'll take a few.

Best:
NY Phil live in central park. I heard/saw Bernstein conduct Candide and Let Your Garden Grow with 300,000+ of my closest friends.

Chick Corea. Elektrik Band I, Elektrik Band II, Akoustik (the original trio w/Pattitucci and Weckl) after a 3 month break, they wanted   to play and play they did!

Wynton Marsallis Septet. Majesty of the Blues, testify brother!

Lan Xang. Quite possibly the best concert I have ever been a part of, the buzz in the music dept was classic: "Did you see Lan Xang?"  "No G*D Fraplmangin work had to sonumcakbubby...(etc)"

Tim's stuff at school, he's scary good.

Odd:
Blood, Sweat and Tears. David Clayton Thomas was wayyyyy past his prime. The first time was at the old mile high after some lame-o NFL "all stars" vs Broncos "all stars", the place kicker shanked the ball off of the upright. But the second time I saw them the warm up was Russ Freeman and the Rippingtons.  :barfy:

Any number of concertband concerts. I don't get the attraction, unless my kid is in there.

Ann Sophie Mutter. One hell of a fiddle player, but she broke the G string during the intro to her big concerto. I had to hang out in the Orange County Performing Arts Cente lobby and listen to lecherous old rich guys make "G-String" jokes.

Suck:
Wynton and the Lincoln Center Orchestra "Blood on the Fields". Yeah, it won a pulitzer. I'd have hated to hear the other shit that BotF "beat". Plus, he's such a pompous jackass anymore. And the 20 minute clap-fest/curtain-call at the end...don't go away mad, just go away.

Rippingtons. See above, the only time I've seen a supposedly popular band booed off.

Barry Manilow. (sorry Dazie) I've fallen asleep at one concert, guess which one? We had the 8 track of this show when I was a kid, I was hoping for more.

I'll remember something later... ::)

I was just wondering...

ignom

Elliott Smith was really good live until a speaker fell and busted a guitar and they cut the show short.

It was a small venue and I was right up front. I yelled out a song I wanted to hear and he said ok, and started playing it. That was cool.

They had sent one of the roadies next door to Taco Bell for some food, so I waited around after the show and talked to the member of the band who's guitar had broke (I forget his name) and got to meet Smith and get his autograph.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

BigDun

I saw Huey Lewis and the News in a small venue (think VFW hall) back in the mid 80's. He had great energy and, in the small venue, really connected with the audience.

He sweats a lot when putting on a show.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

Best:  CAKE and IIIrd Tyme Out.  Awesome.

Worst:  Lynyrd Skynyrd and Def Leppard.  The first was free and I saw a lot of old, saggy boobs.  It was gross.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ursus

I told you I'd remember...

Odd:
Playing a Benny Goodman gig. It was a bit like have Disney's audio-anamatronic figures watch us play, and yet I felt like the exhibit.

Goulet. He's still got pipes, but when he pulls the old schmoozola it just kept going and going and going and...
Ask Dazie, she was at one of the Goulet shows.
I was just wondering...

Bishamonten

Quote from: ignom on August 31, 2005, 10:29:18 PM
Elliott Smith was really good live until a speaker fell and busted a guitar and they cut the show short.

It was a small venue and I was right up front. I yelled out a song I wanted to hear and he said ok, and started playing it. That was cool.

They had sent one of the roadies next door to Taco Bell for some food, so I waited around after the show and talked to the member of the band who's guitar had broke (I forget his name) and got to meet Smith and get his autograph.

Man I miss Elliott Smith. 

Gamplayerx

BEST:  any of the dozen or so Squeeze concerts I've been to - those were such fun shows, smaller venues, lots of audience participation, no smelly moshing

WORST:  Prince - the show was awesome, but my friend Anthony puked on my shoes

cnamon

I want to see Prince in concert so bad. 

But not as badly as I want to see Tom Jones.

vampirepenguin

The best Sevendust,Queens of the Stone Age,The Roots, Basement Jaxx and Tori Amos
The worstNo Doubt, The Cult, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(don't ask), AND barf!! The Distillers.
full of mulatto goodness since 1979!