News:

Incontinence Hotline ... Can you hold, please?

Main Menu

I might be a bad dog owner

Started by swolt, February 22, 2010, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

So I haven't owned a dog in a long time. I did a bunch of research before we got Skeeter and got a book on how to train him.

Then I got sick on Friday and we got him on Saturday. I haven't been able to set up the dog house or get him a collar or the toys I wanted to get him. I've tried to make it up by playing with him a lot but today I'm not feeling so great and just had enough of him biting and trying to eat my face and put him outside. I did get the fence ready before he came so he has a big yard to explore.
I just feel bad because I had planned on giving him a lot of attention and starting to train him right away. Right now the only training that has taken place is him teaching us to give him what he wants.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

dazie

don't worry about it.  Think of it as good prep for a baby.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

I hope the back yard's fence is baby safe so you can put the kid out back and let them fend for themselves when you are too busy to take care of them.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

swolt

Quote from: BigDun on February 22, 2010, 03:50:35 PM
I hope the back yard's fence is baby safe so you can put the kid out back and let them fend for themselves when you are too busy to take care of them.

It is, and we already got the baby a food and water bowl too!

I let Skeeter back in and finally found a toy he will play with instead of chewing on me. He is now taking a nap at my feet, because being a puppy is hard work.

meredith

any offspring of swolt could fight off a pack of wolves, screw your damn fences!

Jessie

People who intentionally have puppies and babies at the same time are insane.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

swolt

Quote from: Jessie on February 22, 2010, 06:31:37 PM
People who intentionally have puppies and babies at the same time are insane.

Well the puppy will be 5 months old when the baby is born

Jessie

I'm not sure if you know how this works, but five months old is still a puppy.

Poor, dumb swolt.

swolt

Quote from: Jessie on February 23, 2010, 08:57:33 AM
I'm not sure if you know how this works, but five months old is still a puppy.

Poor, dumb swolt.
:-[

Dry then Catch

swolt

Ok so I need some advice from you dog people.

The house training is going great. He hasn't had an accident since Sunday night. He has learned where his sleeping spot is and he doesn't whine when we put him to bed. The only problem we're having is he won't stop trying to eat us.
The book I got says Labs like to chew on everything so you should get some toys that he likes to chew on and praise him for chewing on those. Over time this will train him to chew on the toys and not on other stuff.
But he doesn't like any of the toys we've gotten. He likes to chew on us; fingers, toes, whatever he can sink his teeth into. And he has those sharp puppy teeth and it freaking hurts. He just doesn't like his toys. Anyone every had a dog like this? Any ideas?

swolt

Oh, and we have been very careful not to fuss at him. The book said Labs don't respond well to negative reinforcement, so we have been positive and give him treats when he does something we want. Like I said for the potty training that has worked very well.

Jessie

Everett is a monster about chewing.  He can destroy the average dog toy in about two minutes flat.

The only ones he really likes and doesn't instantly eat are big rope chews and tires. 

He's a lot bigger that Skeeter, so Skeeter probably doesn't have his powers of destruction just yet.  Anything left within reach at night is game for Everett's mouth of death, though.  I've lost several shoes, throw pillows, a netbook charger, books, etc etc. 

dazie

Teach him "no bite" when he starts to chew on you.  It'll take a bit, but if you say very clearly "no bite" and pull his mouth off you, he'll get the idea.

Another thing that has worked with our dogs in the past is "OW!" quite loudly, but not angrily.  What that did with our dogs was surprise them to the point they stopped chewing on us.  When they took their mouths off us, we'd then praise them and pet them.

Don't worry if he doesn't get it right away.  Labs are smart dogs, but a little stubborn in the brain pan.

Infobahn

Quote from: dazie on February 25, 2010, 09:31:45 AM
Teach him "no bite" when he starts to chew on you.  It'll take a bit, but if you say very clearly "no bite" and pull his mouth off you, he'll get the idea.

Another thing that has worked with our dogs in the past is "OW!" quite loudly, but not angrily.  What that did with our dogs was surprise them to the point they stopped chewing on us.  When they took their mouths off us, we'd then praise them and pet them.

Don't worry if he doesn't get it right away.  Labs are smart dogs, but a little stubborn in the brain pan.

I am sure the baby will pick up on those commands right after birth.

Jessie

I wish Everett had been younger when we got him, because NONE of that worked for him.  He's a very smart, but very stubborn and even more excitable dog.  He's getting there, though.  We're six months in and he's mostly bearable these days.  He's come a long long way. 

I highly recommend doing an obedience class with him.  It made all the difference in the world with Everett, and you'll find that it's more you than him that needs to be trained on what to do and how to do it.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on February 25, 2010, 11:23:01 AM

I wish Everett had been younger when we got him, because NONE of that worked for him.  He's a very smart, but very stubborn and even more excitable dog.  He's getting there, though.  We're six months in and he's mostly bearable these days.  He's come a long long way. 

I highly recommend doing an obedience class with him.  It made all the difference in the world with Everett, and you'll find that it's more you than him that needs to be trained on what to do and how to do it.

2nd on the obedience class.  Also, if you can afford it, take him to doggie day care now and then to get him socialized.  Zeus is similar to Everett- it's taken us 3 years to get him settled down because he had no training at all as a puppy.

Jessie

I really need to do the doggy daycare thing with Everett.  He's so big and has been aggressive towards other dogs so I'm just terrified to let him near anyone else's pet.

I don't worry at all about him being around kids or anything though.  He loves kids and even cats.  Just hates dogs.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on February 25, 2010, 01:43:18 PM
I really need to do the doggy daycare thing with Everett.  He's so big and has been aggressive towards other dogs so I'm just terrified to let him near anyone else's pet.

I don't worry at all about him being around kids or anything though.  He loves kids and even cats.  Just hates dogs.

maybe you should stop being such a BITCH
get it
cause he hates dogs
hahahahhaa

grace

Quote from: Jessie on February 25, 2010, 09:09:40 AM
Everett is a monster about chewing.  He can destroy the average dog toy in about two minutes flat.

The only ones he really likes and doesn't instantly eat are big rope chews and tires. 

He's a lot bigger that Skeeter, so Skeeter probably doesn't have his powers of destruction just yet.  Anything left within reach at night is game for Everett's mouth of death, though.  I've lost several shoes, throw pillows, a netbook charger, books, etc etc. 

i gave my dane pups traffic cones with heavy rope through them. designed to be indestructible ... it worked, but not a great "inside toy." 
they are super well behaved now, with the exception of food theft on occasion. lost a great loaf of french bread yesterday...but left it on the counter and went out, my bad.

BigDun

Quote from: grace on February 28, 2010, 11:33:03 PM

i gave my dane pups traffic cones with heavy rope through them. designed to be indestructible ... it worked, but not a great "inside toy." 
they are super well behaved now, with the exception of food theft on occasion. lost a great loaf of french bread yesterday...but left it on the counter and went out, my bad.

We're so lucky. Our last two dogs haven't chewed anything that wasn't a dog toy, and although they act very interested in human food, they only jump on the food that drops to the floor.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Dry then Catch

Quote from: BigDun on March 01, 2010, 12:15:13 AM

We're so lucky. Our last two dogs haven't chewed anything that wasn't a dog toy, and although they act very interested in human food, they only jump on the food that drops to the floor.

its a shame you didnt rear children

VikingJuice

Quote from: Dry then Catch on March 03, 2010, 07:22:54 PM

its a shame you didnt rear children

Most of the time that'll get you put in jail these days.

grace

these guys can lay their head in the kitchen sink, but usually don't go there. they never destroy anything and very sweet. i'm gone @ work from 8-5 or 6 sometimes. feel soo guilty slamming them for anything that i forgot to remove as tempt material. gentle- always hungry -giants! oh well...

dazie

I concur.  I have more damage done by the (relatively) tiny dog than by the giant moose.