News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

Serenity

Started by Bishamonten, May 31, 2005, 09:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

We went to see the screening of Serenity on thursday night in CT.  The flick was incomplete - not yet color treated, some effects were missing, and there was some stand-in soundtrack, but damn the entire thing was great.  If you haven't seen Firefly, I'd suggest renting it.  It is, for my money, one of the best 'space dramas' made and is totally unique in many aspects.  Hopefully the movie hits big.

ursus

I was just wondering...

Jessie

Quote from: ursus on June 22, 2005, 12:26:12 PM
:drool:

That thing looks like it has a mouth full of spooge.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ursus

I was just wondering...

Beefy

Why are international posters always cooler than American ones?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Beefy on September 06, 2005, 06:49:42 AM
Why are international posters always cooler than American ones?

Red x's sure are sexy.

EDIT:  ;)

Beefy

ReBurn

Me, too.  Did you fix it or sumpthin'?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Beefy, a/k/a Dirty Dirty Hotlinker, fixed his pic.  So I edited my post to have the pokey red x gif.

Listener

When I saw "Must Love Dogs", on the way out of the theater we got a couple of free passes from Delta.

I'm totally using them to see Serenity.

I won't be first in line -- I have to work on the 30th -- but I will be there for the 10:00 show.  With bells on.

Bishamonten

I'm not a fan of that poster.  It doesn't strike me as a good poster for a space movie.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on September 06, 2005, 11:11:49 AM
I'm not a fan of that poster.  It doesn't strike me as a good poster for a space movie.

See, I had the opposite reaction.  It's focusing on the thing that the show really focuses on: the characters.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on September 06, 2005, 11:22:05 AM

See, I had the opposite reaction.  It's focusing on the thing that the show really focuses on: the characters.
It looks a little too "Resident Evil: Space!" for me.  I dig shots of the characters, but I'd rather see more of Serenity.

cnamon

Quote from: Bishamonten on September 06, 2005, 11:35:33 AM

It looks a little too "Resident Evil: Space!" for me.  I dig shots of the characters, but I'd rather see more of Serenity.
I was expecting Cris Angel:  MINDFREAK to pop out of that poster.

I have no clue what the movie is about.  I'll go ahead and just put that out there.

Jessie

Quote from: cnamon on September 06, 2005, 11:56:24 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on September 06, 2005, 11:35:33 AM

I was expecting Cris Angel:  MINDFREAK to pop out of that poster.

I have no clue what the movie is about.  I'll go ahead and just put that out there.

Haha!

I don't know what it's about either.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

I saw it again last night.  It is much clearer to me now why this wasn't a big hit.  While it is a very enjoyable romp, the truth is that while they tried to open the story up to non-fans, they just didn't do as good of a job with that as they wanted.  A lot of emotional reaction you have to things in the film comes from having been familiar with these people before.  To an outsider, I bet it would be feel very jumbled and a bit distant.  Also, Whedon's style of humor takes a little getting used to, so if Serenity was your first exposure to it, that might be offputting as well.

The intro he taped for audiences at the Browncoat screenings was quite amusing.

ignom

I rented Serenity today. I'll let you know what I think as someone who never saw the series.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ignom

It was pretty good. Seemed more like one of the better Sci Fi Channel movies than something you'd see at the theater. Better than say Wing Commander or Starship Troopers.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

swolt

I asked for this movie for christmas. I am a huge Firefly fan and the movie 4 times in theaters. Best Sci-Fi I've seen in a long time.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

BigDun

We bought and watched it tonight. It's only the second time I've seen it (since seeing it in the theater) and it just keeps getting better with each viewing. Some of the camera work is amazing.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Dry then Catch

should i finish watching my Firefly set before I see Serenity?  I am delaying seeing the rest of the episodes I dont want it to end.

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on December 23, 2005, 02:53:11 AM
should i finish watching my Firefly set before I see Serenity?  I am delaying seeing the rest of the episodes I dont want it to end.
Yes.  Don't watch Serenity until after you finish the show.

(I've watched Serenity three times since I bought it.)

Mr. Ubiquity

curious, what was the big draw to Firefly.  I tried watching it when it first started and just couldnt get into it.  I really tried.  Anytime a sci fi show is on tv, it deserves merit.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 23, 2005, 09:31:19 AM
curious, what was the big draw to Firefly.  I tried watching it when it first started and just couldnt get into it.  I really tried.  Anytime a sci fi show is on tv, it deserves merit.

Part of the reason why people couldn't get into it was that they didn't run the pilot episode first - the one that introduces everyone & they ran it out of order.  If you grab the DVD & watch it in order - you'll get hooked.

It's a cowboy/pirate movie in space.  How can you beat that?  Plus, I'm a huge fan of Joss Whedon's writing style & also his ability to surprise you with plot.  Not many story lines in shows are very surprising - most of them you can see coming a mile away.  Sometimes Joss is predictable, but most the time he takes it a different way than I thought.

Plus all the people on Firefly are pretty fucking hot.

Mr. Ubiquity

if i cna find it on dvd at blockbuster ill maybe check it out.  I rarely watch tv anymore, besides movies.  ( or dvd on the pc)  TV writers are too big on riding the wave created by one good show rather than being original and creative with the concepts.

One show i do try to stay faithful is CSI (the original)  I dont like the feel of the characters for the other 2 or 3. 
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"