News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

Serenity

Started by Bishamonten, May 31, 2005, 09:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I don't think they have it at Blockbuster, unfortunately.  But it can't hurt to check.

You can buy the set for about $25 online if you look well enough. 

I agree with your CSI choice... that's the only one I'll watch.

ReBurn

half.com is usually a good source for finding decent prices on TV series sets.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Mr. Ubiquity

I try not to buy dvd's anymore.  My mentality, but after seeing most of them once, they lose their magic.  I have alot of dvds, but dont know why i buy and not rent some of them.  The only one that does NOT lose any flavor meaning or feel is the Band of Brothers DVD.

I think my fav CSI episode is Pandora's box with Melinda Clarke.  The line when shes talking to Gil and she says " do you want to be my boss?" very seductively/and with genuine curiousity.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Bishamonten

Firefly/Serenity is a good for one reason:  Good characters.  Bottom line, the Space Cowboy thing - while cool - only really works because Whedon took the time to flesh out his characters.  They're well written, strongly defined, and humanistic to a fault.  Damn good writing.

Alice

Quote from: Bishamonten on December 23, 2005, 09:59:52 AM
Firefly/Serenity is a good for one reason:  Good characters.  Bottom line, the Space Cowboy thing - while cool - only really works because Whedon took the time to flesh out his characters.  They're well written, strongly defined, and humanistic to a fault.  Damn good writing.
And they're all hot.

Even Wash is hot in his own way.

Mr. Ubiquity

well, unless i can rent it or someone burns me a dvd copy or a christmas gift ( HAH< YEAH RIGHT)  i wont buy it.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Alice

I am super lame.  But I saw these & had to buy them.

Mr. Ubiquity

browncow?   thats all i see :evil:

Listener

Quote from: ignom on December 22, 2005, 11:08:38 PM
It was pretty good. Seemed more like one of the better Sci Fi Channel movies than something you'd see at the theater. Better than say Wing Commander or Starship Troopers.

Joss Whedon is a TV guy more than a movie guy, so it kind of had that TV feel.  But it was scads better than Anonymous Rex or The Librarian.

Alice

Mr. Ubiquity

ReBurn

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on December 23, 2005, 01:53:07 PM
WTF is browncoat?
The captain & second in charge on Firefly were in a war - they were fighting for the Browncoats.

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on December 23, 2005, 01:54:17 PM
WTF is browncoat?
The captain & second in charge on Firefly were in a war - they were fighting for the Browncoats.
Oh.  I've never seen Firefly.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on December 23, 2005, 01:56:50 PM
Quote from: Alice on December 23, 2005, 01:54:17 PM
WTF is browncoat?
Oh.  I've never seen Firefly.
Well oddly this thread stayed semi on topic... so I could see why you'd expect it to be about something else. 

Mr. Ubiquity

whats brown coat?

whats a cubit?

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 23, 2005, 02:06:11 PM
whats brown coat?

whats a cubit?

I already explained what a Browncoat is.

A cubit is a measurement of length they used way back when... I think some people still use it, but not often.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Alice on December 23, 2005, 02:08:11 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on December 23, 2005, 02:06:11 PM
whats brown coat?

whats a cubit?

I already explained what a Browncoat is. --- no you said they were fighting for the browncoat.A cubit is a measurement of length they used way back when... I think some people still use it, but not often.
whooah... scientific...  glad i asked.   :D

Mr. Ubiquity

An ancient unit of linear measure, originally equal to the length of the forearm from the tip of the middle finger to the elbow, or about 17 to 22 inches (43 to 56 centimeters).

ignom

Quote from: Listener on December 23, 2005, 01:33:59 PM
It was pretty good. Seemed more like one of the better Sci Fi Channel movies than something you'd see at the theater. Better than say Wing Commander or Starship Troopers.

Joss Whedon is a TV guy more than a movie guy, so it kind of had that TV feel.  But it was scads better than Anonymous Rex or The Librarian.

The Librarian was horrible. I don't know what Anonymous Rex is.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Listener

Quote from: ignom on December 23, 2005, 05:17:40 PM
Quote from: Listener on December 23, 2005, 01:33:59 PM

The Librarian was horrible. I don't know what Anonymous Rex is.

The Librarian had potential, but it ended up being crappy.

Anonymous Rex first aired the night before the Librarian.  It's a private investigator drama, except the investigators are secret cops who try to keep the fact that dinosaurs live among us out of the limelight.  Starred Isaac Hayes as the head of the dinosaur council, and one of the lesser-known Baldwins as the older, "grizzled" cop.

Not very good.  Not horrible, but I could've done something better with those two hours.

Adapted from a series of books.

Listener

I was pretty disappointed with the Serenity DVD special features.  Haven't listened to the feature commentary yet, but aside from the outtakes and the deleted scenes (most of which should have been deleted, so no qualms about something that should've been left in) there wasn't anything really earth-shattering.

I personally would've liked to hear why the lighting director chose the colors they did for the inside of the ship.  On the show the colors were warm and friendly, but in the movie they seemed cold, lots of blues.

The bit about the visual effects was neat, though.

Listener

Remember the "Fruity Oaty Bar" commercial that set River off?  Well, it's definitely done with a nod toward "traditional" crazy Asian-style advertising.

http://www.theidlekind.com/FruityOatyBar.swf

Don't know how long the link will last, but enjoy it while you can, with your sound up.  SFW.

Gamplayerx

I finally watched this today.  I enjoyed it.  The Captain Mal guy used to be Joey on One Life to Live.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 01, 2006, 07:34:39 PM
I finally watched this today.  I enjoyed it.  The Captain Mal guy used to be Joey on One Life to Live.
Nathan Fillion.  **drooooool**