News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

07-08 Football Season Thread

Started by Alice, September 06, 2007, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

Quote from: Bennyhana on September 24, 2007, 09:30:20 AM
1. Jim McMahon was NOT a great QB.  He was interesting and fun, and he got enough of the job done so that the Bears Defense didn't have to stay on the field the whole time.  The bears have never had a great QB in my lifetime.  They've had nothing but a string of disappointments and injuries since I started watching them faithfully.

2. The whole team failed last night.  There were some dropped passes that should've been caught, Benson fumbled, Hester nearly muffed two kicks, and the defense had 3 injuries and crumbled in the second half.  Grossman is a BIG problem, that much is certain, but others have to compensate.  If the Offensive line is strong and Benson holds on to the damn football, the Bears can take Rex out of the equation and march down the field.

3. Donovan McNabb, as good as he is, is not the answer.  They'll pay him zillions of dollars to come back and get injured in the first game of the season, and we'll be stuck with Kyle Orton again.  The answer is to finally find a breakout success quarterback who is durable.

I'd still take McNabb over anyone the Bears have fielded since Sid Luckman.

Bennyhana

Quote from: VJ-Office Linebacker on September 24, 2007, 08:38:27 PM
1. Jim McMahon was NOT a great QB.  He was interesting and fun, and he got enough of the job done so that the Bears Defense didn't have to stay on the field the whole time.  The bears have never had a great QB in my lifetime.  They've had nothing but a string of disappointments and injuries since I started watching them faithfully.

2. The whole team failed last night.  There were some dropped passes that should've been caught, Benson fumbled, Hester nearly muffed two kicks, and the defense had 3 injuries and crumbled in the second half.  Grossman is a BIG problem, that much is certain, but others have to compensate.  If the Offensive line is strong and Benson holds on to the damn football, the Bears can take Rex out of the equation and march down the field.

3. Donovan McNabb, as good as he is, is not the answer.  They'll pay him zillions of dollars to come back and get injured in the first game of the season, and we'll be stuck with Kyle Orton again.  The answer is to finally find a breakout success quarterback who is durable.

Donovan McNabb could - alone - beat a team comprised entirely of Bears QB's of the last 10 years (there's enough of them for offense AND defense).  I'll admit that.  However, he would get injured and end up a horrible disappointment.  If they do get him, you mark my words.  I'll be VERY happy to eat them if that's the case.  But it won't be.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on September 24, 2007, 09:07:49 PM

Donovan McNabb could - alone - beat a team comprised entirely of Bears QB's of the last 10 years (there's enough of them for offense AND defense).  I'll admit that.  However, he would get injured and end up a horrible disappointment.  If they do get him, you mark my words.  I'll be VERY happy to eat them if that's the case.  But it won't be.
Wait.  Wait.  Wait!  What happened to drunk?

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on September 24, 2007, 09:14:24 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on September 24, 2007, 09:07:49 PM

Wait.  Wait.  Wait!  What happened to drunk?

Oh, I'm drunk, baby.  But I will never regret offering to eat my words if Donovan McNabb comes to the bears and doesn't get injured.  I'll even eat the piece of paper they're printed on.

eo000

he might not be the answer, but he's 100 times better than the crap your team is throwing out there now. sure he might get injured...but so could any other player in the league. injury prone or not, i'd take a one legged mcnabb over a healthy grossman any day.

Gamplayerx

Does he wear overpriced sunglasses?

Alice

I'd take any Jr High QB over Grossman at this point.

swolt

USC lost and LSU beat Florida.

All is right in the world
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

DownSouth

Not anymore.  Ohio State is now #1.  :-\  It's up to eo's team next week.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

VikingJuice

I'm cheering for USF now.  It's my home state, they're underdogs NO ONE expected to do much beyond win 8 games or so, and their program didn't even exist till about 10 years ago.  I'm having fun watching a real Cinderella.  I hope midnight doesn't strike till they get to the BCS championship.  Maybe a contest with a school like them and some other undeserving nobody will finally force the NCdouble assholes to stop this ridiculous BCS crap and get on with a real playoff.

DownSouth

I'm pulling for Carolina with USF in a distant second.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

VikingJuice

I hate the Patriots, and I hate to see Tom Brady play so damned well since he's in the same division as my Dolphins but my GOD, they are playing exceptional football!  I marvel at any team that can play so well and run on all cylinders.

DownSouth

VikingJuice

Quote from: DownSouth on October 18, 2007, 11:09:58 PM
USF is out.

Yeah, their defense laid a decent sized egg compared to previous performances.  The RB Rice just killed them right up the middle.

swolt

swolt

holy crap. #1 and #2 lost today. LSU still has a chance at the BCS bowl. That would rock so hardcore

Infobahn

Quote from: swolt on December 02, 2007, 12:06:13 AM
holy crap. #1 and #2 lost today. LSU still has a chance at the BCS bowl. That would rock so hardcore
Nothing like backing into a bowl.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Infobahn on December 02, 2007, 12:21:03 AM
Quote from: swolt on December 02, 2007, 12:06:13 AM
Nothing like backing into a bowl.

They'd have to leap about 3 spots. 

Looks like Ohio State versus whoever the computer spits out:

1. Missouri 11-1   LOST and out
2. West Virginia 10-2   LOST and out
3. Ohio State 11-1  New #1
4. Georgia 10-2    Didn't win or even play for their own conference title
5. Kansas 11-1    Only 1 loss team left BUT Didn't win or even play for their own conference title
6. Virginia Tech 10-2   Won a weak conference in ACC but was plastered by LSU early on
7. LSU 10-2    Won SEC title convincingly but has 2 losses
8. USC 9-2     Oh please.  They are seriously over-rated, I've watched them about 5 times this year and they are NOT BCS material despite the record
9. Oklahoma 10-2
10. Florida 9-3
11. Boston College 10-2
12. Hawaii  11-0   Poor Hawaii gets to play the role of Utah a few years back, no losses, no tough schedule, no respect, they should at least get the lowest BCS bowl spot

It should come out early this afternoon for the official BCS selection...

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

eo000

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on December 02, 2007, 12:39:24 PM
Quote from: dazie on December 02, 2007, 12:32:14 PM
Stupid Mizzou.   :hit:
didn't you say anyone but mizzou last week?

I did.  I meant stupid Mizzou for jacking up KU's chances then going and blowing their own.  If they'd gone on to win the whole shebang I'd still say "Well, Mizzou still sucks, but at least they won the whole thing." 

VikingJuice

Congrats to Swolt!!  LSU leapfrogged 3 spots to make it to number 2 and into the BCS championship game.  The bowl breakdown was a bit odd but I think we got the best game.

Sugar Bowl:  Hawaii vs Georgia
Rose Bowl: USC vs Illinois
Orange:  KU  vs  Vtech
Fiesta:  OU  vs WVa

BCS Championship:  LSU vs Ohio St

dazie

meh.

I still don't get all this BCS crap- this seems pretty jacked up to me, and I'm not saying that just because KU isn't #1. 

Shouldn't the team that's unbeaten be #1?  Shouldn't a team that has lost fewer games outrank a team that's lost more?

Yes- I'm well aware that there's scheduling weights etc yammer yammer yammer, but it comes down to W-L in my book.

When I rule the world, the team with the fewest losses will be #1.  Go Hawaii!

Bennyhana

Quote from: dazie on December 02, 2007, 11:52:00 PM
meh.

I still don't get all this BCS crap- this seems pretty jacked up to me, and I'm not saying that just because KU isn't #1. 

Shouldn't the team that's unbeaten be #1?  Shouldn't a team that has lost fewer games outrank a team that's lost more?

Yes- I'm well aware that there's scheduling weights etc yammer yammer yammer, but it comes down to W-L in my book.

There are too many teams and the season is too short to have playoffs, so there is really no way to fairly rank teams.  Any system will suck, likely just as hard as the stupid BCS does.  That's why I watch pro football.  At least there is ONE game at the end in which the teams actually beat other teams in actual head to head play to get there.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Bennyhana on December 03, 2007, 12:01:49 AM
Quote from: dazie on December 02, 2007, 11:52:00 PM
meh.

There are too many teams and the season is too short to have playoffs, so there is really no way to fairly rank teams.  Any system will suck, likely just as hard as the stupid BCS does.  That's why I watch pro football.  At least there is ONE game at the end in which the teams actually beat other teams in actual head to head play to get there.

A playoff would not be hard to structure.  There's are about 900 workable models out there.