News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

Audiobooks

Started by Jessie, February 16, 2007, 09:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

Anyone have any good audiobook suggestions for a road trip?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Imajica by Clive Barker

Bishamonten

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Timothy will love it.

Jessie

Timothy won't be there! 

I'm driving to SC by myself tomorrow.

Beefy

Try something from Carl Hiaasen.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Jessie on February 16, 2007, 09:56:02 AM
Timothy won't be there! 

I'm driving to SC by myself tomorrow.

Then look for something read by Simon Preeble.  I'd suggest finding some of P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves and Wooster" series.

Alice

The Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson.   :)

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

BigDun

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman

It's an amazing story and it is read by an entire cast of narrators.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

Are you renting from Cracker Barrel?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bishamonten

Local libraries are a great place to find audio books, btw.  Just look and find something you think might be interesting.  Audiobooks really are an undiscovered gem.

Alice

Also, our Borders has a crap load on sale right now.

Jessie

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 12:28:52 PM
Local libraries are a great place to find audio books, btw.  Just look and find something you think might be interesting.  Audiobooks really are an undiscovered gem.
Ooh good idea.  I don't know if I'll have time for that though.  Crap, I wish I'd thought of that earlier in the week.

Dry then Catch

I LOVE audiobooks.  If you go to one of those used book stores run by hippies (i'm sure there are pltny in louisville) you can find plenty of used ones.  Audiobooks drop in value fast, what was  $60 last year is like $10 this year. 

I have listened to (and read)

The Diamond Age  (perhaps the best sci fi book ever and defintely in my top 10)
[http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Age-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0553573314

and Bag of Bones

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 01:40:29 PM
I LOVE audiobooks.  If you go to one of those used book stores run by hippies (i'm sure there are pltny in louisville) you can find plenty of used ones.  Audiobooks drop in value fast, what was  $60 last year is like $10 this year. 

and Bag of Bones

I almost picked up Diamond Age recently.  Love Cryptonomicon but it was certainly his "book for boys!"   Lost Nazi Gold!  Computers!  Hot Chicks who love dorks!  If you haven't yet find Snow Crash.  Nesh absolutely adores Diamond Age.

Jessie

I've read Bag of Bones.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 01:43:30 PM

and Bag of Bones

I almost picked up Diamond Age recently.  Love Cryptonomicon but it was certainly his "book for boys!"   Lost Nazi Gold!  Computers!  Hot Chicks who love dorks!  If you haven't yet find Snow Crash.  Nesh absolutely adores Diamond Age.

seriously bish i would mail you my audio cassette, if it wasn't already so cheap used on amazon.  be sure to get the UNABRIDGED version. 

Its more than sci fi there is social theory (why is one culture better than the other), crypto theory, scandal, intrigue, discussions of moral relativsm etc etc.  And lots of stuff on Asian culture vs. western culture.   This book sort of defined his "post cyberpunk" genre

I am not huge sci fi fan per se, but I adored this book.  Its sort of a slighty confusing read, but audio cassette smooths it out considerably.  I'm sure since you are familiar with his other boks you know what to expect.

There really isn't any of the classic nerd adventure romances going on.  I know sci fi writers tend to write their female characters as just "low maintenance guy with breasts who cry sometimes"

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 01:56:54 PM

and Bag of Bones

seriously bish i would mail you my audio cassette, if it wasn't already so cheap used on amazon.  be sure to get the UNABRIDGED version. 

Its more than sci fi there is social theory (why is one culture better than the other), crypto theory, scandal, intrigue, discussions of moral relativsm etc etc.  And lots of stuff on Asian culture vs. western culture.   This book sort of defined his "post cyberpunk" genre

I am not huge sci fi fan per se, but I adored this book.  Its sort of a slighty confusing read, but audio cassette smooths it out considerably.  I'm sure since you are familiar with his other boks you know what to expect.

There really isn't any of the classic nerd adventure romances going on.  I know sci fi writers tend to write their female characters as just "low maintenance guy with breasts who cry sometimes"

Check out Ender's Game on audiobook.  It's fantastic. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 02:02:09 PM

and Bag of Bones

I defintely will.  I am the one person in the universe who takes every book sugggestiona nd puts it to practice.  Im goign to hit the used hippie book store after i leave work

TELL NESH that GEORGE CLOONEY IS MAKE A DIAMOND AGE mini series on sci fi.  Probably around the time she gives birth.
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=39447

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

and Bag of Bones

yea, I saw that.   However... george clooney....

I defintely will.  I am the one person in the universe who takes every book sugggestiona nd puts it to practice.  Im goign to hit the used hippie book store after i leave work

TELL NESH that GEORGE CLOONEY IS MAKE A DIAMOND AGE mini series on sci fi.  Probably around the time she gives birth.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 02:28:12 PM

and Bag of Bones

Jessie, you've changed.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 16, 2007, 02:29:40 PM
Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 02:28:12 PM

and Bag of Bones

Jessie, you've changed.

Dammit! 

Dry then Catch

SOrry to threadjack, but Jessie give audiobooks a try!  They have changed the way I view my commute

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 02:48:55 PM
SOrry to threadjack, but Jessie give audiobooks a try!  They have changed the way I view my commute

For the longest time I thought audiobooks were just for stupid people.  I didn't consider that there was a fair bit of performance that goes into them.  They're well worth it.

Jessie

I'll see what I can find.  Thanks!