News:

9/7/05- 6 months! How the heck did we miss that date?? And you didn't even remember to get me a gift!

Main Menu

Audiobooks

Started by Jessie, February 16, 2007, 09:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

Anyone have any good audiobook suggestions for a road trip?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Imajica by Clive Barker

Bishamonten

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Timothy will love it.

Jessie

Timothy won't be there! 

I'm driving to SC by myself tomorrow.

Beefy

Try something from Carl Hiaasen.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Jessie on February 16, 2007, 09:56:02 AM
Timothy won't be there! 

I'm driving to SC by myself tomorrow.

Then look for something read by Simon Preeble.  I'd suggest finding some of P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves and Wooster" series.

Alice

The Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson.   :)

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

BigDun

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman

It's an amazing story and it is read by an entire cast of narrators.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

Are you renting from Cracker Barrel?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bishamonten

Local libraries are a great place to find audio books, btw.  Just look and find something you think might be interesting.  Audiobooks really are an undiscovered gem.

Alice

Also, our Borders has a crap load on sale right now.

Jessie

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 12:28:52 PM
Local libraries are a great place to find audio books, btw.  Just look and find something you think might be interesting.  Audiobooks really are an undiscovered gem.
Ooh good idea.  I don't know if I'll have time for that though.  Crap, I wish I'd thought of that earlier in the week.

Dry then Catch

I LOVE audiobooks.  If you go to one of those used book stores run by hippies (i'm sure there are pltny in louisville) you can find plenty of used ones.  Audiobooks drop in value fast, what was  $60 last year is like $10 this year. 

I have listened to (and read)

The Diamond Age  (perhaps the best sci fi book ever and defintely in my top 10)
[http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Age-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0553573314

and Bag of Bones

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 01:40:29 PM
I LOVE audiobooks.  If you go to one of those used book stores run by hippies (i'm sure there are pltny in louisville) you can find plenty of used ones.  Audiobooks drop in value fast, what was  $60 last year is like $10 this year. 

and Bag of Bones

I almost picked up Diamond Age recently.  Love Cryptonomicon but it was certainly his "book for boys!"   Lost Nazi Gold!  Computers!  Hot Chicks who love dorks!  If you haven't yet find Snow Crash.  Nesh absolutely adores Diamond Age.

Jessie

I've read Bag of Bones.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 01:43:30 PM

and Bag of Bones

I almost picked up Diamond Age recently.  Love Cryptonomicon but it was certainly his "book for boys!"   Lost Nazi Gold!  Computers!  Hot Chicks who love dorks!  If you haven't yet find Snow Crash.  Nesh absolutely adores Diamond Age.

seriously bish i would mail you my audio cassette, if it wasn't already so cheap used on amazon.  be sure to get the UNABRIDGED version. 

Its more than sci fi there is social theory (why is one culture better than the other), crypto theory, scandal, intrigue, discussions of moral relativsm etc etc.  And lots of stuff on Asian culture vs. western culture.   This book sort of defined his "post cyberpunk" genre

I am not huge sci fi fan per se, but I adored this book.  Its sort of a slighty confusing read, but audio cassette smooths it out considerably.  I'm sure since you are familiar with his other boks you know what to expect.

There really isn't any of the classic nerd adventure romances going on.  I know sci fi writers tend to write their female characters as just "low maintenance guy with breasts who cry sometimes"

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 01:56:54 PM

and Bag of Bones

seriously bish i would mail you my audio cassette, if it wasn't already so cheap used on amazon.  be sure to get the UNABRIDGED version. 

Its more than sci fi there is social theory (why is one culture better than the other), crypto theory, scandal, intrigue, discussions of moral relativsm etc etc.  And lots of stuff on Asian culture vs. western culture.   This book sort of defined his "post cyberpunk" genre

I am not huge sci fi fan per se, but I adored this book.  Its sort of a slighty confusing read, but audio cassette smooths it out considerably.  I'm sure since you are familiar with his other boks you know what to expect.

There really isn't any of the classic nerd adventure romances going on.  I know sci fi writers tend to write their female characters as just "low maintenance guy with breasts who cry sometimes"

Check out Ender's Game on audiobook.  It's fantastic. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 02:02:09 PM

and Bag of Bones

I defintely will.  I am the one person in the universe who takes every book sugggestiona nd puts it to practice.  Im goign to hit the used hippie book store after i leave work

TELL NESH that GEORGE CLOONEY IS MAKE A DIAMOND AGE mini series on sci fi.  Probably around the time she gives birth.
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=39447

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

and Bag of Bones

yea, I saw that.   However... george clooney....

I defintely will.  I am the one person in the universe who takes every book sugggestiona nd puts it to practice.  Im goign to hit the used hippie book store after i leave work

TELL NESH that GEORGE CLOONEY IS MAKE A DIAMOND AGE mini series on sci fi.  Probably around the time she gives birth.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 02:28:12 PM

and Bag of Bones

Jessie, you've changed.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 16, 2007, 02:29:40 PM
Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 02:28:12 PM

and Bag of Bones

Jessie, you've changed.

Dammit! 

Dry then Catch

SOrry to threadjack, but Jessie give audiobooks a try!  They have changed the way I view my commute

Bishamonten

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 16, 2007, 02:48:55 PM
SOrry to threadjack, but Jessie give audiobooks a try!  They have changed the way I view my commute

For the longest time I thought audiobooks were just for stupid people.  I didn't consider that there was a fair bit of performance that goes into them.  They're well worth it.

Jessie

I'll see what I can find.  Thanks!

Bennyhana

Quote from: Bishamonten on February 16, 2007, 02:50:19 PM

For the longest time I thought audiobooks were just for stupid people.  I didn't consider that there was a fair bit of performance that goes into them.  They're well worth it.

Not only that, but you can't read while driving.   Some people can't even read while moving at all, because they get motion sickness.

Jessie

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 16, 2007, 03:05:20 PM

Not only that, but you can't read while driving.   Some people can't even read while moving at all, because they get motion sickness.
I love David Sedaris's audio books.  Those are the only ones I've listened to.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on February 16, 2007, 03:00:27 PM
I'll see what I can find.  Thanks!
Be careful if you get them from a truck stop.  They tend to put them back by the showers, and I would hate for you to end up as Big Bubba's playtoy in the truck stop shower.

Alice

Why won't you have time to go to the library, but time to go to the store?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on February 16, 2007, 03:32:27 PM
I was wondering that as well.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 16, 2007, 03:32:49 PM
Perhaps there's an obstacle course at the entrance of the library.

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on February 16, 2007, 03:33:50 PM
Maybe you have to be able to read to get into the library there.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on February 16, 2007, 03:33:50 PM
Or maybe there's an obstacle course that you can only get to by getting a password from a a puzzle you have to put together after you get it by climbing up a ladder that you have to construct from pieces you dig up in locations specified on a treasure map that's written in invisible ink that only appears after you hold it over a fire.

Alice

Or maybe it's just a handjob-free library, and she'd have to fill out a bunch of forms to get a day pass.

dazie

and Bag of Bones

ahem.  Cryptonomicon is NOT just a book for boys.  It's my favorite book!
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Bishamonten

Quote from: dazie on February 16, 2007, 03:46:42 PM

and Bag of Bones

ahem.  Cryptonomicon is NOT just a book for boys.  It's my favorite book!

Girls can like it!  It's a great book - but man is that book written to appeal to dudes.

Jessie

When am I going to the store?

Alice

How are you getting an audiobook without getting one?

Gamplayerx

I'm confused.  Maybe you should try some of the suggestions we gave DownSouth to try and convince him to drive to Summerville instead of the whole audio book thing.

Jessie

I don't know what suggestions you gave him, but I would really like it if they succeeded in getting him to drive to Summerville.

And, uh, I'll get an audiobook the same way I get all my mp3s of music...

Bennyhana

Quote from: Jessie on February 16, 2007, 04:39:23 PM
I don't know what suggestions you gave him, but I would really like it if they succeeded in getting him to drive to Summerville.

And, uh, I'll STEAL!!! an audiobook the same way I get all my mp3s of music...

Gamplayerx

09:34:18 [DownSouth]   It's about that. Boring ass drive.

09:35:01 [Gamplayerx]   Take a buddy. Play slug bug. Get a book on tape.

09:35:34 [eo000]      snort a line of meth, and get there in 30 minutes.

09:36:08 [Gamplayerx]   Program random numbers into your phone and crank call people.

09:37:56 [eo000]      program gamp's number into your phone and crank call her.

09:38:26 [Gamplayerx]   Count blue cars.

09:39:13 [eo000]      masturbate the entire way.

09:40:25 [Gamplayerx]   Definitely don't call me if you do that. Call eo.

09:40:55 [eo000]      i'll tell you how much of a sinner you are. it will be hot.

09:43:48 [DownSouth]   Great ideas.

09:47:31 [Gamplayerx]   DS> So, which idea is it that's getting you to Summerville?

09:49:36 [DownSouth]   I think calling random people and spooging out the window.

Jessie

That's a funny mental image, right there.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 16, 2007, 04:53:59 PM
09:34:18 [DownSouth]   It's about that. Boring ass drive.

09:35:01 [Gamplayerx]   Take a buddy. Play slug bug. Get a book on tape.

09:35:34 [eo000]      snort a line of meth, and get there in 30 minutes.

09:36:08 [Gamplayerx]   Program random numbers into your phone and crank call people.

09:37:56 [eo000]      program gamp's number into your phone and crank call her.

09:38:26 [Gamplayerx]   Count blue cars.

09:39:13 [eo000]      masturbate the entire way.

09:40:25 [Gamplayerx]   Definitely don't call me if you do that. Call eo.

09:40:55 [eo000]      i'll tell you how much of a sinner you are. it will be hot.

09:43:48 [DownSouth]   Great ideas.

09:47:31 [Gamplayerx]   DS> So, which idea is it that's getting you to Summerville?

09:49:36 [DownSouth]   I think calling random people and spooging out the window.

That's marvelous

Alice

Gamplayerx

VikingJuice

I think many of them are just for lazy people.  My Dad comes to mind and it always pisses me off when he tells me of a new book he "read".  When pressed on the issue of "reading" he will admit that it was an audio book.  I find it kind of insulting to my intelligence when someone tries to pass of the actual reading of a book with listening to the audio book.  While I'm sure it's a fine experience, it's not the same thing.  It would be like me saying I'd read Moby Dick because I'd seen the film.  It's just disingenuous.

ReBurn

So DS is coming to Summerville, too?  Jessie/Carroll/DS three-way?  Who's going to be the mayo in that sandwich?

Bennyhana

Quote from: VikingJuice on February 16, 2007, 06:46:01 PM

It would be like me saying I'd read Moby Dick because I'd seen the film.  It's just disingenuous.

No, it's not like that.  Film is an adaptation of a book.  Unless the film of moby dick is just a shot of the book, with someone turning the pages now and then, it's a different experience.  An (unabridged) audio book is someone reading the book, from beginning to end, exactly as the author wrote it.  The listener still has to interpret the information in the same way as if he/she were reading it.  It's not exactly like reading a book, but it's WAY better than getting in a car accident because you were trying to read.

Alice

Some people just don't do well with reading, but still want to "read" books... dyslexic people come to mind, as well as the blind (yes, I know about braille).  I think it's a useful tool.  I've done a few audio tapes and prefer actual reading to books on tape... but I don't really have many situations where I want to read and can't.

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on February 16, 2007, 09:40:56 PM
Some people just don't do well with reading, but still want to "read" books... dyslexic people come to mind, as well as the blind (yes, I know about braille).  I think it's a useful tool.  I've done a few audio tapes and prefer actual reading to books on tape... but I don't really have many situations where I want to read and can't.
But do you know why there's braille on the drive-through ATM?

Bennyhana

Quote from: ReBurn on February 16, 2007, 11:27:56 PM
Quote from: Alice on February 16, 2007, 09:40:56 PM
But do you know why there's braille on the drive-through ATM?

Taxicabs.

ReBurn

That makes perfect sense!

BigDun

Some people like to read.

Some people like to listen.

Some people like hand jobs.

Bennyhana

Quote from: BigDun on February 16, 2007, 11:36:36 PM
Some people like to read about handjobs

Some people like to listen to handjobs.

Some people like to watch hand jobs.

BigDun

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 16, 2007, 11:39:06 PM
Quote from: BigDun on February 16, 2007, 11:36:36 PM
Some people like to read about handjobs

Some people like to listen to handjobs.

Some people like to watch hand jobs.

EXACTLY!

VikingJuice

Quote from: Bennyhana on February 16, 2007, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on February 16, 2007, 06:46:01 PM

It would be like me saying I'd read Moby Dick because I'd seen the film.  It's just disingenuous.

No, it's not like that.  Film is an adaptation of a book.  Unless the film of moby dick is just a shot of the book, with someone turning the pages now and then, it's a different experience.  An (unabridged) audio book is someone reading the book, from beginning to end, exactly as the author wrote it.  The listener still has to interpret the information in the same way as if he/she were reading it.  It's not exactly like reading a book, but it's WAY better than getting in a car accident because you were trying to read.

You miss my point.  It would be like me "running" the Boston Marathon by taking a cab to the finish line even if I followed the same rout.  It's disingenuous because you didn't put in the hard work to achieve actual reading of the book.  It's cheating to call it reading.  Be honest, say I found someone to read it TO me.  That would be truthful and not grate my nerves.

Gamplayerx

It's okay, VJ.  I'll read to you and help you with your book report.  And we don't have to tell anyone about it.  You can get all the credit.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 18, 2007, 12:03:42 AM
It's okay, VJ.  I'll read to you and help you with your book report.  And we don't have to tell anyone about it.  You can get all the credit.

Deal.  The book I choose is The Story of O.   :evil:

Alice

Quote from: VikingJuice on February 18, 2007, 02:28:20 AM

The Story of B is much better.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Alice on February 18, 2007, 10:17:05 AM

Apparently you haven't read The Story of O

Gamplayerx

Quote from: VikingJuice on February 18, 2007, 02:53:37 PM

I've not read The Story of O - but I've heard about it, you naughty boy.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 18, 2007, 08:07:56 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on February 18, 2007, 02:53:37 PM

I've not read The Story of O - but I've heard about it, you naughty boy.
:groucho: