News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Started by Beefy, December 21, 2006, 02:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Quote from: nishi on July 31, 2007, 08:09:31 AM
Quote from: dazie on July 31, 2007, 06:47:25 AM
Quote from: PyroBigDun on July 30, 2007, 09:03:27 PM
Quote from: sapphirehart on July 30, 2007, 08:52:38 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 30, 2007, 09:34:34 AM
Maybe she'll answer that in the Potter Encyclopedia she's going to release. 

I thought this was an interesting article about life AFTER the Deathly Hallows

SPOILER ALERT: Read this ONLY if you have finished reading the last book.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/07/30/potters.afterlife.ap/index.html

Cool. I liked the additional details.

Me too, but I still have a question!

What about Hermione's parents??  Are they still in Australia?  Was that answered in the book and I just missed it?

that wasn't answered in the book.

although now i'm wondering if their names are rose and hugo. not that anything sinister happened to them post hallows; i was just curious as to where the names came from, because rowling is always so deliberate about naming people.

I was thinking that as well.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

swolt

That is the perhaps the best book I've ever read. She did a superb job.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on August 01, 2007, 01:59:15 PM

I'm glad you liked it!  Did you cry?

swolt

Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 03:13:19 PM

No. But I did choke up when Harry went into the woods to die.

And when Molly Weasley yelled "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!" I laughed out loud so hard I snorted. That was great.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Jessie

I wonder if HP will be held as the literature of our time.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on August 01, 2007, 03:20:05 PM
Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 03:13:19 PM

No. But I did choke up when Harry went into the woods to die.

And when Molly Weasley yelled "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!" I laughed out loud so hard I snorted. That was great.

I laughed then too.  :)  So unexpected, but completely in keeping with that character.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on August 01, 2007, 03:24:15 PM

I hope not.  Much in the way that Star Wars shouldn't be considered "the cinema" of it's time.  While it's wildly popular, there are better examples.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on August 01, 2007, 03:24:15 PM

I don't think so.  I mean- it isn't "Literature" IMO.  She's a great storyteller, and the books will be held up as great stories, but I doubt it's going to fall into the "Literature" category.

In my experience, great literature is usually painfully boring and long and hard to read.  ;)

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 03:45:12 PM
In my experience, great literature is usually painfully boring and long and hard to read.  ;)

Wow, having sex with me is like great literature...

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on August 01, 2007, 03:50:13 PM

Steinbeck or Melville?

dazie

Quote from: Alice on August 01, 2007, 04:18:38 PM

Steinbeck or Melville?

Dickens of course.  ;)

Great Expectations...

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 04:29:11 PM
Quote from: Alice on August 01, 2007, 04:18:38 PM

Steinbeck or Melville?

Dickens of course.  ;)

Great Expectations...

Hard Times would also be applicable.

Bennyhana

A tale of Two Titties? 

I have man boobs.

dazie

dazie

Question for ya.  This came up when some acquaintances and I were discussing this book, so I'm putting it here.

We were talking about the end of the book, and how some parts moved some of us to tears and some parts moved others to tears.  One person said something to the effect of "Oh when I heard the part when this happened I just started to cry." 

WTF.  She hadn't read the book at all, merely listened to it on CD.  Now, keep in mind that this is the person who, when we were in a book club a few years ago would inevitably say "Not enough time to read" as her excuse for not reading the books. (why join a book club if you don't plan on reading??) Anyway- after about the 15th meeting wherein American Idol or Survivor or some other POS TV show was discussed instead of the book, I said "That's why you can't read the books. Turn off the damn TV." I wasn't terribly popular after that.

I know that on trips and commuting situations, books on CD can be very handy, but do you really consider that someone who has listened to a book has gotten the full impact of the book? 

Gamplayerx

I've never listened to an audio book, so I can't compare the two experiences, but I know many people (like, say, my step-mother who can't read books because of her eyes) who do listen to audio books and consider that to equal reading.

dazie

OK- I can understand in that case NEEDING to listen to the book. 

I dunno.  It just makes me cranky when this person says she's read something when she really hasn't. 

Jessie

I would think that listening to the audiobook would take away some of the imagination needed when reading.  Someone else's tone and inflection and voice acting can (I think) affect your perception of the characters.

I don't ever think about curling up on the couch with a blanket, cup of tea, and cd player, but that's just me.

Gamplayerx

My boss gave me this cd lecture series on the book of Genesis that I just can't figure out when to listen to.  My commute is short and when I'm at home, I can't see me putting on headphones and tuning out my husband.

eo000

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 22, 2007, 09:30:00 AM
My boss gave me this cd lecture series on the book of Genesis that I just can't figure out when to listen to.  My commute is short and when I'm at home, I can't see me putting on headphones and tuning out my husband.

even if he's whining about his toe?

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 22, 2007, 09:30:00 AM
Listen during PTI.

BigDun

There is no one answer for this question. It has to do with an individual's ability to absorb information (often called their learning style). There are those who take in information best visually (prefer reading), audibly (prefer books on CD), or kinetically (prefer to go to dinner murder parties). I absorb information much better audibly. I have read all the Harry Potter books and then listened to them. I gathered much more details and retained the story much better from my listening experience. So can you say that it is the same experience? No. Can you say that one is better than the other? Almost always yes. Which is better is dependent on the individual.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

Good point.  I am very visual.  You can tell me all day long how to do something, but if I don't see it, I won't learn it. 

I have always wanted to go to a murder mystery dinner party.

dazie

Quote from: BigDun on August 22, 2007, 11:43:45 AM
There is no one answer for this question. It has to do with an individual's ability to absorb information (often called their learning style). There are those who take in information best visually (prefer reading), audibly (prefer books on CD), or kinetically (prefer to go to dinner murder parties). I absorb information much better audibly. I have read all the Harry Potter books and then listened to them. I gathered much more details and retained the story much better from my listening experience. So can you say that it is the same experience? No. Can you say that one is better than the other? Almost always yes. Which is better is dependent on the individual.

Good point- but do you think you would have gathered the details from listening if you hadn't read them beforehand?

Plus- you're not an idiot.  ;)