News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Started by Beefy, December 21, 2006, 02:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamplayerx

BigDun

Yes, when I'm reading, I will quite often start thinking about something else and then have to re-read part of the page. And sometimes I don't realize that I've lost the story and my eyes just skim the page without absorbing content (okay, maybe I am an idiot). But when I am listening to it, my mind is not able to ignore the audible input. And if I re-listen to a book, I can recall exactly where I was, who I was with, and what I was doing at any point when I last listened to a portion of the book.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

BigDun

Boy, I started almost every sentence in that last post with a conjunction.

dc

Quote from: dazie on August 22, 2007, 09:20:16 AM
I know that on trips and commuting situations, books on CD can be very handy, but do you really consider that someone who has listened to a book has gotten the full impact of the book? 

I do.  I read books and listen to audio books.  The full impact of the book is easily present in a well-produced and narrated audio books.  Narrators like Jim Dale, Simon Prebble, David McCullough, and others can make an audio book have just as much impact as reading it.  The story is still there, the emotion is still there.  Personal preference plays the greatest role in it.  Some may not be able to gain as much through reading, some may not be able to gain as much through listening.

Gamplayerx

I'm now on Book 5, for those of you following my progress at home.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on September 06, 2007, 01:09:20 PM
I'm now on Book 5, for those of you following my progress at home.

* Bennyhana moves pushpin from 4 to 5 in the "Gampcon" section of his office wall.

DownSouth

I'm still on 0.  I have the same problem as CD.  I can read pages of a book and have no idea what I just read because my mind wanders.  I still have no interest in Harry Potter books or movies.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

dazie

Quote from: DownSouth on September 06, 2007, 11:43:44 PM
I'm still on 0.  I have the same problem as CD.  I can read pages of a book and have no idea what I just read because my mind wanders.  I still have no interest in Harry Potter books or movies.

I'm guessing if you knew how to read things would work better.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 04, 2007, 08:35:55 AM
All done.
ZOMG WECANFINALLYTALKABOUTIT!!!!!!

Wasn't it awesome when Ron totally plowed Harry with his Weasley Wang?!?  SO HOT!!!  I totally splorched all over my khakis!!!!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on October 04, 2007, 09:17:06 AM
All done.

Wasn't it awesome when Ron totally plowed Harry with his Weasley Wang?!?  SO HOT!!!  I totally splorched all over my khakis!!!!
I wouldn't have thought you a khaki guy.  In my mind, you're a wallet chain jeans dude badass. 

Wallet chain jeans dude sounded like an insult when I read it again. 

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 04, 2007, 09:18:42 AM
All done.

I wouldn't have thought you a khaki guy.  In my mind, you're a wallet chain jeans dude badass. 

You're right.  I'm not a khaki guy.  It was part of the joke.  No wallet chain either, though my keys and my watch are clipped to my belt loop and my leatherman and maglite are on my belt as well.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on October 04, 2007, 11:15:52 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 04, 2007, 09:18:42 AM
All done.

You're right.  I'm not a khaki guy.  It was part of the joke.  No wallet chain either, though my keys and my watch are clipped to my belt loop and my leatherman and maglite are on my belt as well.
It was a joke?!?  I totally bought you splorching over Weasley.   :D

Beefy

BigDun

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out and were suddenly silenced. As if all the Fanfic writer's heads exploded.

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

So no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past is an indication of homosexuality? I think that she just outed a lot of other people, too.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on October 22, 2007, 10:04:25 AM
So no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past is an indication of homosexuality? I think that she just outed a lot of other people, too.

What's interesting to me is two things: one, that Dumbledore's sexuality never played into the books in any way I perceived (though I still haven't read #7).  Two, that you'd think by the way the public is reacting to this that she held a news conference and stated, "See!!  Popular gay character!!  IN YOUR FACE!!"  She makes mention of the fact that she always knew he was gay at a book reading and it's the media and public that turn it into a big deal.

Alice

I think this may be the dumbest part about Harry Potter ever. 

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on October 22, 2007, 10:08:56 AM

What's interesting to me is two things: one, that Dumbledore's sexuality never played into the books in any way I perceived (though I still haven't read #7).  Two, that you'd think by the way the public is reacting to this that she held a news conference and stated, "See!!  Popular gay character!!  IN YOUR FACE!!"  She makes mention of the fact that she always knew he was gay at a book reading and it's the media and public that turn it into a big deal.
Sounds to me like she just made it up and that she's a dumb cow.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bennyhana

Quote from: ReBurn on October 22, 2007, 10:15:25 AM
Quote from: Beefy on October 22, 2007, 10:08:56 AM

Sounds to me like she just read it on a fan site and that she's trying to stay in the limelight now that her creative load has been blown.

Fixed that for you.

Beefy

Alice

Gamplayerx