News:

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to write "The Last DJ" and then do a Pepsi Budweiser Sobe Depends Claritin Prozac GoDaddy StateFarm Coca-Cola Coors Vitamin Water Attends Allegra Xanax 1-800-Safe-auto RC Cola Miller Gatorade Huggies Robotussin Morphine Halftime Show.

Main Menu

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Started by Beefy, December 21, 2006, 02:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReBurn

Harry Potter and Thank Bob This is Finally Coming to an End!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

I got a collector's copy of Half Blood Prince for Christmas.  :)  I'm very excited.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

In keeping with my well-established bad habits, I just spoiled the book for myself.

No worries, I won't post anything here about it.  Hope y'all enjoy it.

eo000

there's already sites where the whole book is leaked.

dazie

Yeah- a friend of mine was bragging about how he downloaded the pdf of it a few weeks ago.

I asked him how far he'd gotten, he said about 50 pages.  I'm not really worried about him spoiling it for me.  ;)

dazie

oo- we should do a poll.  Who's gonna die.

meredith

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on July 17, 2007, 11:06:19 AM

I would win this poll.

Yeah eo000, I went to one of the bit torrent forums and read the spoilers from someone who actually read all of the jpegs that were leaked.  That's gotta put a hurtin' on the eyeballs.

eo000

Quote from: Beefy on July 17, 2007, 11:44:50 AM
Quote from: dazie on July 17, 2007, 11:06:19 AM

I would win this poll.

Yeah eo000, I went to one of the bit torrent forums and read the spoilers from someone who actually read all of the jpegs that were leaked.  That's gotta put a hurtin' on the eyeballs.
no joke.

dazie

GRRRRR!   >:(

Someone just emailed me a pdf of the book.

NONONONONONO!!!!  I want to read it and enjoy it for real!

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on July 17, 2007, 03:18:20 PM

So wait.  And avoid the eye strain.  It's only a few days more, and then you can log off the Net for a day or two and devour the last book.

In fact, if you reeeally don't want it spoiled, I'd immediately stop going to any site that could potentially have spoilers posted to it.  No Fark, no S.A., no public forum of any kind, local to Kansas or otherwise.  The cat is out of the bag, and there are people who drool at the prospect of ruining this for people.

Hermione pulls a train with the entire Hogwarts Quidditch team and dies of incurable magic syphilis. 

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on July 17, 2007, 03:26:09 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 17, 2007, 03:18:20 PM

So wait.  And avoid the eye strain.  It's only a few days more, and then you can log off the Net for a day or two and devour the last book.

In fact, if you reeeally don't want it spoiled, I'd immediately stop going to any site that could potentially have spoilers posted to it.  No Fark, no S.A., no public forum of any kind, local to Kansas or otherwise.  The cat is out of the bag, and there are people who drool at the prospect of ruining this for people.

Hermione pulls a train with the entire Hogwarts Quidditch team and dies of incurable magic syphilis. 

*giggle*

I swear though- if any of you mooks spill it, I'm going to stab you in the eye.

swolt

I had dazie send me her PDF. I don't think it's real. It isn't her writing style. I could be wrong but the style is very different from the other books (I've only read 1, 2, 4 and 6 though)

Also the PDF has a different ending from what Beefy told me
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Beefy

Everything you read on the Internet is TRUE.

Bennyhana

Quote from: swolt on July 17, 2007, 04:03:21 PM
I had dazie send me her PDF. I don't think it's real. It isn't her writing style. I could be wrong but the style is very different from the other books (I've only read 1, 2, 4 and 6 though)

Jeesus.  Who has the time to write an 800 page (I'm assuming) hoax?

swolt

Quote from: Bennyhana on July 17, 2007, 04:57:27 PM

midgets

Beefy

Quote from: swolt on July 17, 2007, 05:03:08 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on July 17, 2007, 04:57:27 PM

midgets

Almost as good as 42 as the answer to everything.

Beefy

dazie

"Today, Ron," Harry will say, with the newfound air of a man who has seen and done impossibly great things, "is a good day. You, who have been my friend through so much, are now my brother. And your sister is now a woman. Come, let us drink."

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!  *snort*

Gamplayerx

54 guests right now viewing this topic.

Jessie

Oops.  Someone must have liked it on StumbleUpon.

Blame me, not eo.

Well, and alice for posting a funny picture.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Jessie

I'll fix it and link it directly to the pic so I don't blow up Junto.

dazie

Gamplayerx

meredith

Barnes & Noble across the street had extra staff, all in varying levels of HP dress, handing out lens-less HP glasses, taking polaroids with a HP display standup.  Customers were dressed up too.  Small harry potters, large harry potters, a dozen harry potters all running around.. a few harry potters with *cough* nice racks...   only saw one little girl aspiring to be Hermione.

dazie

Tim's going to Hastings with his friends for the big party.

I think it's cool that people are so into it.  I can't imagine any other book series in history that has generated such interest*, or more accurately- that people have generated so much interest ABOUT.  And it isn't just "yay let's dress up and go out late" like some weird Halloween- people are actually excited about READING the books.

*L. Ron Hubbard notwithstanding obviously...

dots

Quote from: hatt on July 20, 2007, 10:22:12 PM
Barnes & Noble across the street had extra staff, all in varying levels of HP dress, handing out lens-less HP glasses, taking polaroids with a HP display standup.  Customers were dressed up too.  Small harry potters, large harry potters, a dozen harry potters all running around.. a few harry potters with *cough* nice racks...   only saw one little girl aspiring to be Hermione.
Potomac Yards?

I bet traffic there today would make anyone want to start cutting.
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Jessie

dots

You're an asshole and I hate you.

Beefy

Well, I got mine.  I'm going to reread the end of book 6 first.

Supposedly many of the spoilers that were leaked were either completely or partially false, so we'll see.

meredith

Nobody actually dies, not even Voldemort, but near the end, Hermione screams, and then grows a cock.

Beefy

Gamplayerx

Grumpus called me from the grocery store this morning and asked me if I wanted this book - said there were hundreds of them there being virtually ignored.  Which struck me as really funny.

dazie

I liked it. 

It was good.

I cried twice.

Oh- Swolt- that pdf I sent wasn't it.

meredith

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 21, 2007, 07:42:32 PM
Grumpus called me from the grocery store this morning and asked me if I wanted this book - said there were hundreds of them there being virtually ignored.  Which struck me as really funny.

that's where i got a copy last time - a grocery store with a pile of them.

swolt

Quote from: dazie on July 21, 2007, 10:41:39 PM
I liked it. 

It was good.

I cried twice.

yeah I knew. It wasn't her style. I'm going to wait until Sara leaves town next week to read it.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on July 22, 2007, 02:52:58 AM
Quote from: dazie on July 21, 2007, 10:41:39 PM
I liked it. 

It was good.

I cried twice.

yeah I knew. It wasn't her style. I'm going to wait until Sara leaves town next week to read it.

I'm reading it now.  Funny shit.  Somebody had a LOT of time on their hands.

dc

dazie

BigDun

dazie

BigDun

eo000

I finished it over the weekend, too. I can't believe it ended with boulders falling on everyone. that's effed up.

BigDun

Where are the pics of Tuesday Books event?

dazie

I read that earlier.  I thought it was a good article.

Funny thing is- I'm kind of bummed that I don't have a lot of people to discuss it with.  *lol*  Ursus read it, but he's not interested in the minutia (sp?) like I am. 

Get reading people!  Either that or the ones that have read it already need to start emailing.

Gamplayerx

I just started reading the first book.  Does that help?

dazie

:)  It will!

What do you think about it?

Beefy

I th ink this will be like last time, where I wait a few months to get through it.

Gamplayerx

I'm on page 16.  So far, I think that they really did a super job casting Hagrid and Dumbledore for the movies based on their descriptions in the book.

dazie

Most of the casting was really well done.  There's a few in the later movies that make me scratch my head though.

BigDun

Okay, I'll discuss some of the book's plot points. I'll try to be obscure, but will make it in tiny print because it is a little spoilerific.

I thought that the characters of Dobbie and Kreature could have been reversed for scenes in the Malfoy house and in the final battle. Kreature turned into a positive character so could have done what Dobbie did in the Malfoy house and what followed. It wouldn't have been as emotional as she wrote it, but it would have been plausible. And Dobbie issuing a war cry at the end would have been much better than Kreature.

dazie

Quote from: BigDun on July 24, 2007, 12:10:51 PM
Okay, I'll discuss some of the book's plot points. I'll try to be obscure, but will make it in tiny print because it is a little spoilerific.

I thought that the characters of Dobbie and Kreature could have been reversed for scenes in the Malfoy house and in the final battle. Kreature turned into a positive character so could have done what Dobbie did in the Malfoy house and what followed. It wouldn't have been as emotional as she wrote it, but it would have been plausible. And Dobbie issuing a war cry at the end would have been much better than Kreature.

OOO- good idea.  But would Abe have known to send Kreacher instead of Dobby?

Also- do you think Neville had the real sword?  I think he did, because of the whole "The sword of Gryffindor goes to a true Gryffindor who needs it" (paraphrasing)

Did we know that Lily's patronus was a doe? 

Bennyhana

Quote from: dazie on July 24, 2007, 12:30:44 PM
Quote from: BigDun on July 24, 2007, 12:10:51 PM

OOO- good idea.  But would Abe have known to send Kreacher instead of Dobby?

Also- do you think Neville had the real sword?  I think he did, because of the whole "The sword of Gryffindor goes to a true Gryffindor who needs it" (paraphrasing)

Did we know that Lily's patronus was a doe? 

Mrs Peacock was a man?!?

dazie

Interesting- I'm reading that pdf I sent Swolt and it is definitely fanfiction, the author even puts notes into it here and there.  But what surprises me is how the author got some of the things almost exactly as Rowling did in the real book.

For example, 1) in the fanfic, the wedding reception is attacked, as in the real book.  2) The fanfic has Narcissa and Draco hiding from Voldemort in Grimmauld Place, and the real book has Narcissa betraying Voldemort to save Draco.  3) Both stories have Harry as the 7th horcrux.

Interesting.  Someone had a LOT of time on their hands.  The language is coarser, but the story line is ok so far.  I'm about 100 pages in.  I can't read it as fast because I'm reading on the computer screen.

Alice

Quote from: dazie on July 25, 2007, 06:00:21 PM
Interesting- I'm reading that pdf I sent Swolt and it is definitely fanfiction, the author even puts notes into it here and there.  But what surprises me is how the author got some of the things almost exactly as Rowling did in the real book.

For example, 1) in the fanfic, the wedding reception is attacked, as in the real book.  2) The fanfic has Narcissa and Draco hiding from Voldemort in Grimmauld Place, and the real book has Narcissa betraying Voldemort to save Draco.  3) Both stories have Harry as the 7th horcrux.

Interesting.  Someone had a LOT of time on their hands.  The language is coarser, but the story line is ok so far.  I'm about 100 pages in.  I can't read it as fast because I'm reading on the computer screen.
From reading the first book, unless her style has changed, her stories aren't exactly unpredictable.  I'd imagine if this fan has read all of them, getting some stuff dead on wouldn't be too terribly difficult.

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on July 25, 2007, 06:22:17 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 25, 2007, 06:00:21 PM

From reading the first book, unless her style has changed, her stories aren't exactly unpredictable.  I'd imagine if this fan has read all of them, getting some stuff dead on wouldn't be too terribly difficult.

That I have to agree with.

Alice

And I don't mean that as a slam, but more of an explanation.  If it weren't slightly predictable, it wouldn't make as good of a children's series.

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on July 25, 2007, 06:56:53 PM
And I don't mean that as a slam, but more of an explanation.  If it weren't slightly predictable, it wouldn't make as good of a children's series.

Also agreed.  I think the audience takes comfort in the familiar, though I'm of the opinion that her prose actually undermined the suspense and intended poignancy of several bigs scenes in books 5 and 6.

dazie

nishi

i stayed off the internet for the entire week proceeding the release of the book so no one would fuck it up for me.

SPOILERS

re: dobby/kreacher: i liked it the way that it was - i liked the change in kreacher because harry worked so hard to treat him well and respect him as a being with feelings and a history. i also think that kreacher sacrificing himself for harry - well, for hermione, actually - wouldn't have had the same effect

then, this part drove me crazy: 50 pages of hermione, harry and ron arguing. THAT pissed me off.

also: i am still totally confused as to how dumbledore could have won the elder wand in a duel. isn't the thing about the elder wand that you can't lose? someone i was talking to suggested that perhaps grindelwald hadn't been it's "true" owner, since he stole the wand rather than winning it in some other way - like killing its previous owner - whether that was gregorovich or someone else. anyway, going off on the hallows instead of the horcruxes was kind of weird. the only thing that i liked about it was seeing dumbledore in such a different way, especially in his rash response of putting on the ring after finding it.

but: snape's death becoming so.... pointless was to me, totally heartbreaking. i also wish that she had thought to have his portrait in the headmaster's office when harry goes there later - as dumbledore's portrait had immediately appeared in HBP after his death. seeing snape there, sleeping peacefully in his portrait, would have gone a long way with me. i did think that part of the scene where his memories pour from his eyes and mouth and ears was astounding and i cried so hard that i had to put the book down during the memory of his last conversation with dumbledore, when he makes his patronus and dumblestore says "even after all this time" and snape says "always".

i also wept when harry put on the ring in order to call his family and friends to him when he went to face voldemort and his death.

on the whole, i was both pleased and frustrated. the parts that were powerful were that. and while i have always loved the surprises that she manages to pull out, there were plot devices that i thought were kind of far-reaching this time.

however, much is forgiven because of "pitiful. you have the entire world of ear humor available to you and you choose 'holey'?", and kreacher clanging mundungus up side the head with the copper saucepan.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

meredith

honestly, i am in contact with some of the biggest douchebags in the world - fark, somethingawful, WoW PVPers, beefy - and nobody spoiled it for me. *shrug*

nishi

there were spoilers all over the other site where i moderate. in fact, there was apparently a huge fight between two moderators, because one of them started posting a spoiler in every single thread on the site and the other one was following him around deleting them. the one doing the following is another fan of the books. i'm not sure how it was resolved - i notice that the one doing the spoiler posting is still a mod. he even gave the following mod a time out for "harassing" him. ridiculous.

so. as far as the sites i visit, i made the right decision. and even beyond that, it wasn't something that i was going to risk. i have never been the kind of person that enjoys looking at the last page of anything - i like discovering what is going on as it happens in a book. and since this was something that i'd been looking forward to for a while, i wasn't going to let someone spoil it for me. i mean - i wasn't late to work and i still checked my email and i still got all the rest of my internet based work done. i just took time away from social sites on the internet as a precaution and i'm glad i did. i would have been sad to lose the opportunity to simply read the book and the anticipation that went along with that.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dazie

Quote from: nishi on July 30, 2007, 12:37:19 AM
i stayed off the internet for the entire week proceeding the release of the book so no one would fuck it up for me.

SPOILERS

re: dobby/kreacher: i liked it the way that it was - i liked the change in kreacher because harry worked so hard to treat him well and respect him as a being with feelings and a history. i also think that kreacher sacrificing himself for harry - well, for hermione, actually - wouldn't have had the same effect

then, this part drove me crazy: 50 pages of hermione, harry and ron arguing. THAT pissed me off.

also: i am still totally confused as to how dumbledore could have won the elder wand in a duel. isn't the thing about the elder wand that you can't lose? someone i was talking to suggested that perhaps grindelwald hadn't been it's "true" owner, since he stole the wand rather than winning it in some other way - like killing its previous owner - whether that was gregorovich or someone else. anyway, going off on the hallows instead of the horcruxes was kind of weird. the only thing that i liked about it was seeing dumbledore in such a different way, especially in his rash response of putting on the ring after finding it.

but: snape's death becoming so.... pointless was to me, totally heartbreaking. i also wish that she had thought to have his portrait in the headmaster's office when harry goes there later - as dumbledore's portrait had immediately appeared in HBP after his death. seeing snape there, sleeping peacefully in his portrait, would have gone a long way with me. i did think that part of the scene where his memories pour from his eyes and mouth and ears was astounding and i cried so hard that i had to put the book down during the memory of his last conversation with dumbledore, when he makes his patronus and dumblestore says "even after all this time" and snape says "always".

i also wept when harry put on the ring in order to call his family and friends to him when he went to face voldemort and his death.

on the whole, i was both pleased and frustrated. the parts that were powerful were that. and while i have always loved the surprises that she manages to pull out, there were plot devices that i thought were kind of far-reaching this time.

however, much is forgiven because of "pitiful. you have the entire world of ear humor available to you and you choose 'holey'?", and kreacher clanging mundungus up side the head with the copper saucepan.

1.  I concur about the Dobby/Kreacher thing.  I hadn't thought of it that way- that Dobby also saved Hermione, which Kreacher wouldn't have done unless ordered to by Harry, and then begrudgingly.That was the first time I cried- when Harry was burying Dobby.

2.  I also concur about the arguing teenagers.  Yes.  We get it.  Times are rough.  The locket acts as the Ring did.  It makes people cranky.  We get it.

3.  I will ponder the 3rd point and see if I have an answer.

4.  Snape.  Ohhhh that made me cry.  I thought the memories coming out of his eyes etc. was a little gross, but I guess he was just trying really hard to make sure Harry got it.  And the whole doe thing.  :'(  If there's a wizard afterlife, I hope he's found some peace.  I was really annoyed at how Dumbledore used him so much, as he used Harry so much.  Do the ends justify the means? 

5.  I wasn't sure what calling the dead people had to do with the plot.  Was it just to show that Harry had so many people close to him die?

6.  I will have to read it again- I'm sure there are things I missed with going through it as quickly as I did.

nishi

Quote from: dazie on July 30, 2007, 09:13:11 AM

SPOILERS

1.  I concur about the Dobby/Kreacher thing.  I hadn't thought of it that way- that Dobby also saved Hermione, which Kreacher wouldn't have done unless ordered to by Harry, and then begrudgingly.That was the first time I cried- when Harry was burying Dobby.

2.  I also concur about the arguing teenagers.  Yes.  We get it.  Times are rough.  The locket acts as the Ring did.  It makes people cranky.  We get it.

4.  Snape.  Ohhhh that made me cry.  I thought the memories coming out of his eyes etc. was a little gross, but I guess he was just trying really hard to make sure Harry got it.  And the whole doe thing.  :'(  If there's a wizard afterlife, I hope he's found some peace.  I was really annoyed at how Dumbledore used him so much, as he used Harry so much.  Do the ends justify the means? 

5.  I wasn't sure what calling the dead people had to do with the plot.  Was it just to show that Harry had so many people close to him die?

6.  I will have to read it again- I'm sure there are things I missed with going through it as quickly as I did.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

Quote from: nishi on July 30, 2007, 09:14:19 AM
Quote from: dazie on July 30, 2007, 09:13:11 AM

SPOILERS

i think harry's turning the ring and calling his parents and sirius and lupin to his side was simply a way of having some kind of support for what he was trying to do. he had walked by the living people he loved and knew that they would try to prevent him from going. the only people that wouldn't try to keep him from going were the dead. i thought there was a kind of nice parallel between the reasons that harry called them to him - for support to do a selfless thing - and the reason that dumbledore tried to call the dead to him before the curse of the ring was destroyed - to assuage his guilt.

on the other hand , the whole 'harry is the most selfless person ever' thing got a little old. i liked the plot twist of knowing that dumbledore was much less benign and kind and much more 'regular guy' than we - and harry - had thought. but she never really got back to the idea that 'our choices make us who we are' - and that dumbledore had chosen repeatedly throughout most of his life to help people.

i guess that's the thing - i thought there were a lot of important themes, rather than just plot lines, that she kind of set aside in this book. i was hoping that we'd really see why love was so powerful that it required its own sealed room at the ministry, things like that.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dazie

Maybe she'll answer that in the Potter Encyclopedia she's going to release. 

sapphirehart

Quote from: dazie on July 30, 2007, 09:34:34 AM

I thought this was an interesting article about life AFTER the Deathly Hallows

SPOILER ALERT: Read this ONLY if you have finished reading the last book.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/07/30/potters.afterlife.ap/index.html

swolt

I just finished chapter 5. holy fuck this is a good book

BigDun

Quote from: sapphirehart on July 30, 2007, 08:52:38 PM

Cool. I liked the additional details.

dazie

Quote from: PyroBigDun on July 30, 2007, 09:03:27 PM

Me too, but I still have a question!

What about Hermione's parents??  Are they still in Australia?  Was that answered in the book and I just missed it?

nishi

Quote from: dazie on July 31, 2007, 06:47:25 AM

What about Hermione's parents??  Are they still in Australia?  Was that answered in the book and I just missed it?

that wasn't answered in the book.

although now i'm wondering if their names are rose and hugo. not that anything sinister happened to them post hallows; i was just curious as to where the names came from, because rowling is always so deliberate about naming people.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dazie

Quote from: nishi on July 31, 2007, 08:09:31 AM
Quote from: dazie on July 31, 2007, 06:47:25 AM

that wasn't answered in the book.

although now i'm wondering if their names are rose and hugo. not that anything sinister happened to them post hallows; i was just curious as to where the names came from, because rowling is always so deliberate about naming people.

I was thinking that as well.

swolt

That is the perhaps the best book I've ever read. She did a superb job.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on August 01, 2007, 01:59:15 PM

I'm glad you liked it!  Did you cry?

swolt

Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 03:13:19 PM

No. But I did choke up when Harry went into the woods to die.

And when Molly Weasley yelled "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!" I laughed out loud so hard I snorted. That was great.

Jessie

I wonder if HP will be held as the literature of our time.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on August 01, 2007, 03:20:05 PM
Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 03:13:19 PM

No. But I did choke up when Harry went into the woods to die.

And when Molly Weasley yelled "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!" I laughed out loud so hard I snorted. That was great.

I laughed then too.  :)  So unexpected, but completely in keeping with that character.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on August 01, 2007, 03:24:15 PM

I hope not.  Much in the way that Star Wars shouldn't be considered "the cinema" of it's time.  While it's wildly popular, there are better examples.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on August 01, 2007, 03:24:15 PM

I don't think so.  I mean- it isn't "Literature" IMO.  She's a great storyteller, and the books will be held up as great stories, but I doubt it's going to fall into the "Literature" category.

In my experience, great literature is usually painfully boring and long and hard to read.  ;)

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 03:45:12 PM
In my experience, great literature is usually painfully boring and long and hard to read.  ;)

Wow, having sex with me is like great literature...

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on August 01, 2007, 03:50:13 PM

Steinbeck or Melville?

dazie

Quote from: Alice on August 01, 2007, 04:18:38 PM

Steinbeck or Melville?

Dickens of course.  ;)

Great Expectations...

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on August 01, 2007, 04:29:11 PM
Quote from: Alice on August 01, 2007, 04:18:38 PM

Steinbeck or Melville?

Dickens of course.  ;)

Great Expectations...

Hard Times would also be applicable.

Bennyhana

A tale of Two Titties? 

I have man boobs.

dazie

dazie

Question for ya.  This came up when some acquaintances and I were discussing this book, so I'm putting it here.

We were talking about the end of the book, and how some parts moved some of us to tears and some parts moved others to tears.  One person said something to the effect of "Oh when I heard the part when this happened I just started to cry." 

WTF.  She hadn't read the book at all, merely listened to it on CD.  Now, keep in mind that this is the person who, when we were in a book club a few years ago would inevitably say "Not enough time to read" as her excuse for not reading the books. (why join a book club if you don't plan on reading??) Anyway- after about the 15th meeting wherein American Idol or Survivor or some other POS TV show was discussed instead of the book, I said "That's why you can't read the books. Turn off the damn TV." I wasn't terribly popular after that.

I know that on trips and commuting situations, books on CD can be very handy, but do you really consider that someone who has listened to a book has gotten the full impact of the book? 

Gamplayerx

I've never listened to an audio book, so I can't compare the two experiences, but I know many people (like, say, my step-mother who can't read books because of her eyes) who do listen to audio books and consider that to equal reading.

dazie

OK- I can understand in that case NEEDING to listen to the book. 

I dunno.  It just makes me cranky when this person says she's read something when she really hasn't. 

Jessie

I would think that listening to the audiobook would take away some of the imagination needed when reading.  Someone else's tone and inflection and voice acting can (I think) affect your perception of the characters.

I don't ever think about curling up on the couch with a blanket, cup of tea, and cd player, but that's just me.

Gamplayerx

My boss gave me this cd lecture series on the book of Genesis that I just can't figure out when to listen to.  My commute is short and when I'm at home, I can't see me putting on headphones and tuning out my husband.

eo000

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 22, 2007, 09:30:00 AM
My boss gave me this cd lecture series on the book of Genesis that I just can't figure out when to listen to.  My commute is short and when I'm at home, I can't see me putting on headphones and tuning out my husband.

even if he's whining about his toe?

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 22, 2007, 09:30:00 AM
Listen during PTI.

BigDun

There is no one answer for this question. It has to do with an individual's ability to absorb information (often called their learning style). There are those who take in information best visually (prefer reading), audibly (prefer books on CD), or kinetically (prefer to go to dinner murder parties). I absorb information much better audibly. I have read all the Harry Potter books and then listened to them. I gathered much more details and retained the story much better from my listening experience. So can you say that it is the same experience? No. Can you say that one is better than the other? Almost always yes. Which is better is dependent on the individual.

Jessie

Good point.  I am very visual.  You can tell me all day long how to do something, but if I don't see it, I won't learn it. 

I have always wanted to go to a murder mystery dinner party.

dazie

Quote from: BigDun on August 22, 2007, 11:43:45 AM
There is no one answer for this question. It has to do with an individual's ability to absorb information (often called their learning style). There are those who take in information best visually (prefer reading), audibly (prefer books on CD), or kinetically (prefer to go to dinner murder parties). I absorb information much better audibly. I have read all the Harry Potter books and then listened to them. I gathered much more details and retained the story much better from my listening experience. So can you say that it is the same experience? No. Can you say that one is better than the other? Almost always yes. Which is better is dependent on the individual.

Good point- but do you think you would have gathered the details from listening if you hadn't read them beforehand?

Plus- you're not an idiot.  ;)

Gamplayerx

BigDun

Yes, when I'm reading, I will quite often start thinking about something else and then have to re-read part of the page. And sometimes I don't realize that I've lost the story and my eyes just skim the page without absorbing content (okay, maybe I am an idiot). But when I am listening to it, my mind is not able to ignore the audible input. And if I re-listen to a book, I can recall exactly where I was, who I was with, and what I was doing at any point when I last listened to a portion of the book.

BigDun

Boy, I started almost every sentence in that last post with a conjunction.

dc

Quote from: dazie on August 22, 2007, 09:20:16 AM
I know that on trips and commuting situations, books on CD can be very handy, but do you really consider that someone who has listened to a book has gotten the full impact of the book? 

I do.  I read books and listen to audio books.  The full impact of the book is easily present in a well-produced and narrated audio books.  Narrators like Jim Dale, Simon Prebble, David McCullough, and others can make an audio book have just as much impact as reading it.  The story is still there, the emotion is still there.  Personal preference plays the greatest role in it.  Some may not be able to gain as much through reading, some may not be able to gain as much through listening.

Gamplayerx

I'm now on Book 5, for those of you following my progress at home.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on September 06, 2007, 01:09:20 PM
I'm now on Book 5, for those of you following my progress at home.

* Bennyhana moves pushpin from 4 to 5 in the "Gampcon" section of his office wall.

DownSouth

I'm still on 0.  I have the same problem as CD.  I can read pages of a book and have no idea what I just read because my mind wanders.  I still have no interest in Harry Potter books or movies.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

dazie

Quote from: DownSouth on September 06, 2007, 11:43:44 PM
I'm still on 0.  I have the same problem as CD.  I can read pages of a book and have no idea what I just read because my mind wanders.  I still have no interest in Harry Potter books or movies.

I'm guessing if you knew how to read things would work better.

Gamplayerx

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 04, 2007, 08:35:55 AM
All done.
ZOMG WECANFINALLYTALKABOUTIT!!!!!!

Wasn't it awesome when Ron totally plowed Harry with his Weasley Wang?!?  SO HOT!!!  I totally splorched all over my khakis!!!!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on October 04, 2007, 09:17:06 AM
All done.

Wasn't it awesome when Ron totally plowed Harry with his Weasley Wang?!?  SO HOT!!!  I totally splorched all over my khakis!!!!
I wouldn't have thought you a khaki guy.  In my mind, you're a wallet chain jeans dude badass. 

Wallet chain jeans dude sounded like an insult when I read it again. 

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 04, 2007, 09:18:42 AM
All done.

I wouldn't have thought you a khaki guy.  In my mind, you're a wallet chain jeans dude badass. 

You're right.  I'm not a khaki guy.  It was part of the joke.  No wallet chain either, though my keys and my watch are clipped to my belt loop and my leatherman and maglite are on my belt as well.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on October 04, 2007, 11:15:52 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 04, 2007, 09:18:42 AM
All done.

You're right.  I'm not a khaki guy.  It was part of the joke.  No wallet chain either, though my keys and my watch are clipped to my belt loop and my leatherman and maglite are on my belt as well.
It was a joke?!?  I totally bought you splorching over Weasley.   :D

Beefy

BigDun

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out and were suddenly silenced. As if all the Fanfic writer's heads exploded.

dazie

ReBurn

So no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past is an indication of homosexuality? I think that she just outed a lot of other people, too.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on October 22, 2007, 10:04:25 AM
So no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past is an indication of homosexuality? I think that she just outed a lot of other people, too.

What's interesting to me is two things: one, that Dumbledore's sexuality never played into the books in any way I perceived (though I still haven't read #7).  Two, that you'd think by the way the public is reacting to this that she held a news conference and stated, "See!!  Popular gay character!!  IN YOUR FACE!!"  She makes mention of the fact that she always knew he was gay at a book reading and it's the media and public that turn it into a big deal.

Alice

I think this may be the dumbest part about Harry Potter ever. 

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on October 22, 2007, 10:08:56 AM

What's interesting to me is two things: one, that Dumbledore's sexuality never played into the books in any way I perceived (though I still haven't read #7).  Two, that you'd think by the way the public is reacting to this that she held a news conference and stated, "See!!  Popular gay character!!  IN YOUR FACE!!"  She makes mention of the fact that she always knew he was gay at a book reading and it's the media and public that turn it into a big deal.
Sounds to me like she just made it up and that she's a dumb cow.

Bennyhana

Quote from: ReBurn on October 22, 2007, 10:15:25 AM
Quote from: Beefy on October 22, 2007, 10:08:56 AM

Sounds to me like she just read it on a fan site and that she's trying to stay in the limelight now that her creative load has been blown.

Fixed that for you.

Beefy

Alice

Gamplayerx

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 22, 2007, 10:34:00 AM
Quote from: Alice on October 22, 2007, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: Beefy on October 22, 2007, 10:30:43 AM
Quote from: Alice on October 22, 2007, 10:11:51 AM
I think this may be the dumbledorest part about Harry Potter ever. 
Nevermind.  That was.

I thought it was funny. 
I did too... I was just trying to be funny too.  I fail.

meredith

Some say it does play in to the last book a bit, Beefy, but that might just be people imagining things they want to be there.

Alice

Gamplayerx

I said I stole it - it's not like I tried to take credit for it.  Gosh.

Alice

BigDun

Alice

Man, we're going to have to start typing that big soon now that a good chunk of you are nearing senior citizen status.