News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

The Orchid Thief

Started by dazie, April 03, 2005, 11:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

First off- if you're looking for a bang up mystery- this book AIN'T it.   >:(  I feel kind of ripped off.  I got it from my mom, and started reading it.  I kept reading and reading and reading, waiting for the actual sotry to start.

Instead I got several hundred pages of the author wandering around orchid related things and people in Florida.  Waxing poetic about the fabulousness of the fetid swamps that comprise "America's Wang" (thank you Homer Simpson) which, I'm sure are very nice, but do not make for a good story.

Bah.

However, if you're looking for a book about people who obsess about orchids, this is for you.  Who knew that those flowers had such a devoted following or that there were so many different kinds???
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

ursus

I was just wondering...

ursus

I was just wondering...

dazie

Quote from: Beef on April 06, 2005, 10:58:45 AM
Quote from: ursus on April 06, 2005, 10:55:19 AM
Why?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268126/plotsummary

Bleah.  Looks as lame as the book.

It isnt' that I need explosions and naked bodies and car chases to like a movie, but DAMN.  That was one nothing of a book to make a movie about making a movie about.

nishi

this is a book i've been meaning to read for a while. i read her original article in the new yorker and was intrigued - but maybe because i read that, i wouldn't have gone into this book expecting a riveting mystery - rather just a factual account of some very odd people who become obsessed with some very strange and illusive plants. her earlier book, saturday night, was a fun read. although i accidentally heard dick estelle read a teeny part of it - i avoid him like the plague, he's a terrible narrator. and i heard enough of one segment to hear him talke about the "zyDECKo" music of louisiana. dick estelle needs to get out more.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dazie

Quote from: nishi on April 08, 2005, 09:37:21 PM
this is a book i've been meaning to read for a while. i read her original article in the new yorker and was intrigued - but maybe because i read that, i wouldn't have gone into this book expecting a riveting mystery - rather just a factual account of some very odd people who become obsessed with some very strange and illusive plants. her earlier book, saturday night, was a fun read. although i accidentally heard dick estelle read a teeny part of it - i avoid him like the plague, he's a terrible narrator. and i heard enough of one segment to hear him talke about the "zyDECKo" music of louisiana. dick estelle needs to get out more.

Send me your addy and I'll send you the book.