News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

Sin City

Started by OBB, April 01, 2005, 03:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBB

I've decided that I'm gonna go see this movie tonight, but I know nothing about the back story or anything. Can someone (like Beef or Bish) fill me in on what I need to know?

Beefy

I'm going tomorrow.

Expect a real cinematic comic book.  Three stories, interwoven.  High pulp melodrama.  Very violent.  Thugs and dames and no one is innocent.

OBB

I love highly stylized violence and dames.

Jessie

I've heard two stories about this on NPR today.

The review I heard on Fresh Air was that it was very good and very true to the book(s).
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Robert Rodriguez gave up his status in the Director's Guild to bring Sin City's creator, Frank Miller, on as co-director.  He wanted to make a "translation", not an "adaptation".

Bishamonten

No, I won't tell you anything about the story, it'll ruin the movie for you or at least alter it.  Come back after you've seen it and I'll gush about the actual story, but I don't want to ruin any surprised.  Miller's Sin City set the bar for gritty crime drama.  As it stands, the only comic so far that has even come close has been "100 Bullets"

OBB

I'm totally sold on this movie :)

Beefy

The only negative thing I've heard thus far is that the final third slows down a bit more than it ought to.  But we'll see.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on April 01, 2005, 04:03:52 PM
The only negative thing I've heard thus far is that the final third slows down a bit more than it ought to.  But we'll see.

p.s. read 100 bullets.

Beefy

No way.  Comic books are the opiate of the Beefy.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on April 01, 2005, 04:07:13 PM

They're in trade paper back.  That way you can tell chicks that they're "graphic novels" and they'll think you're cool.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on April 01, 2005, 04:07:59 PM

They're in trade paper back.  That way you can tell chicks that they're "graphic novels" and they'll think you're cool.

HAHAHAHAHA Did you hear that Jessie?!

OBB

Yeah, I'm "edgy" and "with it" now!

Line up starts on the right, ladies!  8)

Jessie

Quote from: Beef on April 01, 2005, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: Bishamonten on April 01, 2005, 04:07:59 PM

HAHAHAHAHA Did you hear that Jessie?!

He totally used that line on me like two days ago.

Then I put out.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Well, for one, it really is a comic translated to the screen.  Nothing else like it exists.

It's not always entertaining and compelling.  Some of the acting outright sucks (Alba, Madsen, and Murphy).

Sex and violence are so mixed that it's hard to know what is supposed to turn you on and what is supposed to revolt you.

Mickey Rourke turns a fantastic performance in what I thought would be an unwieldy role.  His is the best part, and the film is at its best when he is on-screen.  Clive Owen exudes cool, even if he can't completely cover his British accent.

I want Rosario Dawson and Carla Gugino for my birthday.  Dressed like they were in the film (or not dressed, as it were).

There are several acts of violence that induced physical reactions from the audience.  Weak stomachs need not apply.

White blood is a great idea.

It is a film about the immoral, where no one is truly good, sex and violence rule society, and anything is possible if you're driven enough.  Except a happy ending.

Oh, and Rosario Dawson and Carla Gugino.  I want to mention them again.

This movie is going to be jerk-off material for an entire generation of boys.

OBB

My favourite part of the movie was (shrunken to avoid spoiling) either the thug with the HUGE vocabulary or that guy Stuka who gets shot by the arrow was like "Heeeeey"

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on April 02, 2005, 07:06:55 PM
Well, for one, it really is a comic translated to the screen.  Nothing else like it exists.

It's not always entertaining and compelling.  Some of the acting outright sucks (Alba, Madsen, and Murphy).

Sex and violence are so mixed that it's hard to know what is supposed to turn you on and what is supposed to revolt you.

Mickey Rourke turns a fantastic performance in what I thought would be an unwieldy role.  His is the best part, and the film is at its best when he is on-screen.  Clive Owen exudes cool, even if he can't completely cover his British accent.

I want Rosario Dawson and Carla Gugino for my birthday.  Dressed like they were in the film (or not dressed, as it were).

There are several acts of violence that induced physical reactions from the audience.  Weak stomachs need not apply.

White blood is a great idea.

It is a film about the immoral, where no one is truly good, sex and violence rule society, and anything is possible if you're driven enough.  Except a happy ending.

Oh, and Rosario Dawson and Carla Gugino.  I want to mention them again.

This movie is going to be jerk-off material for an entire generation of boys.

One of the weakest parts of the film is Madsen and Willis' initial exchange.   While there were some weak actors, some people pulled off killer performances.  I was surprised to find myself liking Willis' Hartigan, in fact.  Rasario Dawson =NAILED= her character.  Clive Owen played dwight to the teeth.  Mickey Rourke played the perfect Marv, down to the insanity and fury.  Powers Booth was a great Senator Rourke.  Elijah Wood as "Kevin" was just really well done and well correagraphed.  Hell I even liked Josh "The Human Nap" Harnett.  They just did good work, flat out.  I went in "cautiously optimistic" and it far exceeded my expectations. 

I'd love to see a sequel covering Dame to Kill For, Family Values, and Hell & Back.

Infobahn

Ebert and Roeper just gave it two big thumbs up.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on April 02, 2005, 07:54:33 PM
I'd love to see a sequel covering Dame to Kill For, Family Values, and Hell & Back.

You might get to.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on April 02, 2005, 07:58:47 PM
Quote from: Bishamonten on April 02, 2005, 07:54:33 PM

You might get to.

My erection is notable.