News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

Playstation 3 launch details revealed

Started by ReBurn, May 08, 2006, 08:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReBurn

Coming in November with two configurations.

With 20 GB hard drive - $499
With 60 GB hard drive - $599

The new controller was revealed, too.  It looks like a standard Playstation controller.  But it also incorporates a "free movement" system where simply moving the controller controls the game.  The demo game was a dude flying an aircraft simply by waving the controller through the air.

The games shown at the E3 press conference looked amazing.  But not amazing enough for me to pay that at launch.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Listener

Quote from: ReBurn on May 08, 2006, 08:47:46 PM
Coming in November with two configurations.

With 20 GB hard drive - $499
With 60 GB hard drive - $599

The new controller was revealed, too.  It looks like a standard Playstation controller.  But it also incorporates a "free movement" system where simply moving the controller controls the game.  The demo game was a dude flying an aircraft simply by waving the controller through the air.

The games shown at the E3 press conference looked amazing.  But not amazing enough for me to pay that at launch.

Still too expensive for me too.

My wife has one of those free-movement controllers for her computer... it's just a regular mouse with a free-movement option (you hold down a trigger button to use it).  It's cool, but the novelty wears off.  However, the free-movement option could really make sports games and DDR-style games a lot more fun.

ReBurn

By the way,  November 17th is the day.  In case you really want one.

eo000

any word on the bluetooth dvd player that's supposed to come with it?

Mr. Ubiquity

I think Microsoft won the console war this time around.   To me there really isnt any competition if the products dont come out at or around the same time.   A year later isnt competition.  MS can be in the works for the next system by then.  POOR SONY!!

Sony shouldn't have gone with the whole Blue-Ray tech at launch,  they shouldhave perfected it for the VAIO and then release it for the PS4.    Instead they decided to delay the whole product launch and its boing to be POS.  Looks like Blue-Ray gave Sony a case of Blue-balls.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

eo000

ah, blue ray, not blue tooth. thanks.

Mr. Ubiquity

i am curious to know how the whole Cell processor technology will pan out.  I dont know much about it, but its supposed to be pretty cool, but i guess its a wait and see.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Bishamonten

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on May 09, 2006, 08:03:31 AM
I think Microsoft won the console war this time around.   To me there really isnt any competition if the products dont come out at or around the same time.   A year later isnt competition.  MS can be in the works for the next system by then.  POOR SONY!!

Sony shouldn't have gone with the whole Blue-Ray tech at launch,  they shouldhave perfected it for the VAIO and then release it for the PS4.    Instead they decided to delay the whole product launch and its boing to be POS.  Looks like Blue-Ray gave Sony a case of Blue-balls.

Not when you're selling your console at 600 dollars a pop.  As well, if I recall correctly, the 360 has a lot of problems that are being explained away as "pre-mature birth defects"  It was rushed to market. 

The only one I'll buy is the new Nintendo. 

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 09, 2006, 08:12:45 AM

Not when you're selling your console at 600 dollars a pop.  As well, if I recall correctly, the 360 has a lot of problems that are being explained away as "pre-mature birth defects"  It was rushed to market. 

Have we come to expect anything less than that from M$?

THe pricing for both of them is about the same.  overrated and too expensive.  Sony's prices are NO better than MS.

eo000

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on May 09, 2006, 08:15:28 AM

THe pricing for both of them is about the same.  overrated and too expensive.  Sony's prices are NO better than MS.
the playstation is $100 more expensive, but there's a heck of a lot more technology in it.

Bishamonten

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying an elevated price slows down development.  For one, Microsoft is losing money on consoles - again.  Secondly, customers are already feeling a bit of a pinch due to the pricing, so the release time between consoles is going to be even longer. 

In the end, the only way to "win" the console wars is to have better games.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 09, 2006, 08:23:55 AM

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying an elevated price slows down development.  For one, Microsoft is losing money on consoles - again.  Secondly, customers are already feeling a bit of a pinch due to the pricing, so the release time between consoles is going to be even longer. 

In the end, the only way to "win" the console wars is to have better games.

Thats the only way the even make money is the games.    well from MS point of view. Bite it on the console and try to make good games.  I've never been impressed with the games for them.  And i will definately NOT spend the same money to play games that can be spend to get a full PC.

ReBurn

Sony is dumping a lot of technology into the PS3.  The Cell processor is, at this point, the most powerful processor available for consumer electronics.  It is going to have a Blu-Ray drive, which is probably going to be the new DVD standard, and the controllers use Bluetooth wireless technology.  And I believe they said that their online gaming network is going to be free.  But I'm not sure about that.

I won't pay $600 at launch, but I will undoubtedly get one at some point.  And I agree with Bish...I'll be waiting on the new Nintendo console.  Access to pretty much every game Nintendo ever released is going to be sweet!

DownSouth

Quote from: ReBurn on May 09, 2006, 09:17:33 AM
Sony is dumping a lot of technology into the PS3.  The Cell processor is, at this point, the most powerful processor available for consumer electronics.  It is going to have a Blu-Ray drive, which is probably going to be the new DVD standard, and the controllers use Bluetooth wireless technology.  And I believe they said that their online gaming network is going to be free.  But I'm not sure about that.

I won't pay $600 at launch, but I will undoubtedly get one at some point.  And I agree with Bish...I'll be waiting on the new Nintendo console.  Access to pretty much every game Nintendo ever released is going to be sweet!
l'd pay a lot for that Nintendo.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

Nintedo is having their E3 press conference today at 9:30 am PDT.  So I'm hoping we'll know the release date and price today.

You can watch Nintendo and Microsoft's press conferences live on gamespot.com.

Bishamonten

Beefy

At NAB this year, they ran six concurrent High Def 1080i video streams through the Cell processor flawlessly.

Alice

I would buy the new Nintendo if they came out with Wario Ware 2.   :D

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on May 09, 2006, 09:57:58 AM
At NAB this year, they ran six concurrent High Def 1080i video streams through the Cell processor flawlessly.

thats all fine and dandy, but they optimize everything for those shows, so give me a standard run of the mill off the production line pc and then let US decide if it works well.

ReBurn

ReBurn

I can't decide which I like better. The original like I have or the slim. Neither looks like something that fits in a home entertainment center very well. Mine is backward compatible with PS2 games, so that's a plus.

meredith

jeez, 299 dollars is way less than 299 euro. (and a bit less than 29,980 yen)