News:

07/15/05 - Beefy nails the 50,000th post!

Main Menu

Yay for Netflix

Started by dazie, April 24, 2006, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

I got Marebito in, but I'm watching Van Damme tonight instead!

dazie

I used to love Van Damme.  Soooo sexay.  Now- not so much.   :-\

The most recent Netflix- one for Number 6.  "Roman Holiday" with Audrey Hepburn et al.  What a great movie.  Sweet and simple, nicely filmed and set in such a stunning city.  Audrey is, of course, gorgeous in every scene, even when she crawls soaking wet out of the Tiber River.  Realistic too- her mascara is running, unlike today when the heroine would crawl soaking wet out of the water and be perfectly coiffed and made up. 

Eddie Albert as a beatnik was a bit of a shocker, but he looks so different from the Eddie Albert of later years, that it was easy to "suspend disbelief"
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dazie

Whale Rider:  I didn't watch the whole thing, so I was a little confused at times.  But I liked it- I think the girl did a super job and was appropriately nominated for an Oscar.  Once again, New Zealand shines as a backdrop for a movie.

The Red Violin:  Good, although a bit predictable at the end.  But I just don't buy Samuel L. Jackson as this great instrument guy.

Beefy

I watched Jackie Chan's New Police Story and finished watching Scum last night.  Both were worthwhile, though Scum's ending was so shockingly abrupt that it took me a minute to actually realize the film was over.

dazie

Second Hand Lions.

EXCELLENT.  I was pleasantly pleasantly suprised.  I put it on to keep Kate out of my hair while I did stuff today and ended up with all 4 of us watching the whole thing.  I had a tear.  Kate had a tear.  Ursus had a tear.  Quite good stuff- Duvall and Caine work so well together, and Haley Joel Osment is quite a young actor.  I expect good things from him.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on June 04, 2006, 09:08:53 PM
Second Hand Lions.

EXCELLENT.  I was pleasantly pleasantly suprised.  I put it on to keep Kate out of my hair while I did stuff today and ended up with all 4 of us watching the whole thing.  I had a tear.  Kate had a tear.  Ursus had a tear.  Quite good stuff- Duvall and Caine work so well together, and Haley Joel Osment is quite a young actor.  I expect good things from him.
We have that!  Timothy loves it.  I love Robert Duvall.  It's a very entertaining movie.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on June 04, 2006, 09:14:01 PM
Second Hand Lions.

We have that!  Timothy loves it.  I love Robert Duvall.  It's a very entertaining movie.

I was going to recommend you watch it if you hadn't already.  :)  I love the line "Did you order a hooker?" when they see Walter's mom.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on June 04, 2006, 09:16:38 PM
Second Hand Lions.

I was going to recommend you watch it if you hadn't already.  :)  I love the line "Did you order a hooker?" when they see Walter's mom.
We got it because my grandma bought it for my brother's kids and I forgot to ever give it to them.  I'd never even heard of it before.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on June 04, 2006, 09:18:04 PM
Second Hand Lions.

We got it because my grandma bought it for my brother's kids and I forgot to ever give it to them.  I'd never even heard of it before.

I don't think it did all that well in the theatres.  Not sure why though.

dazie

huh- from imdb:  Haley Joel Osment was attacked by the pig during filming. The lion had numerous trainers and handlers, but no one thought the pig might be a menace.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on June 04, 2006, 09:22:21 PM
huh- from imdb:  Haley Joel Osment was attacked by the pig during filming. The lion had numerous trainers and handlers, but no one thought the pig might be a menace.
Maybe the pig was just being loveable.  Mom's pig's affection was painful.

dazie

Dunno.  It was a good sized pig- that could have been it.

cnamon

Quote from: dazie on June 04, 2006, 09:21:51 PM
Second Hand Lions.

I also love that movie.  It was a good story...well told.

I need to watch that again.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on June 04, 2006, 09:24:27 PM
Quote from: dazie on June 04, 2006, 09:22:21 PM
Maybe the pig was just being loveable.  Mom's pig's affection was painful.
You got a pretty mouth, boy!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

DownSouth

Quote from: cnamon on June 05, 2006, 07:39:46 AM
Quote from: dazie on June 04, 2006, 09:21:51 PM
Second Hand Lions.

I also love that movie.  It was a good story...well told.

I need to watch that again.
I love that movie.  Great ending.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

Okay, fine.  I can't resist.

I thought Secondhand Lions was mediocre at best, with an emotional pay-off that didn't work because it didn't earn it through establishing real relationships between the characters.  I thought the exact same idea was handled much better in a far more emotionally honest way in Big Fish.

That said, I'm glad you all enjoyed it.  Any movie done by the guy that wrote The Iron Giant can't be all bad.

dazie

BIG FISH.  That's the one I was thinking about when I was reading some of these posts.

I didn't like that one so much.  I'm not fond of Helena Bonham Carter for one, so I didn't like her scenes.  Plus I thought it was creepy. 

Now- since I rented this one for the kids to watch, I'm glad it wasn't.  It fulfilled my wishes as a good movie for Kate to watch and to understand.

Which one was released first?

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on June 05, 2006, 09:18:58 AM
BIG FISH.  That's the one I was thinking about when I was reading some of these posts.

I didn't like that one so much.  I'm not fond of Helena Bonham Carter for one, so I didn't like her scenes.  Plus I thought it was creepy. 

Now- since I rented this one for the kids to watch, I'm glad it wasn't.  It fulfilled my wishes as a good movie for Kate to watch and to understand.

No idea.  Doesn't really matter.  Which one was written or conceptualized first?  That could happen years and years before release.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on June 05, 2006, 09:49:58 AM
Quote from: dazie on June 05, 2006, 09:18:58 AM

No idea.  Doesn't really matter.  Which one was written or conceptualized first?  That could happen years and years before release.

Oh I was just curious.  I wasn't accusing one of copying the other.

Alice

Loved Big Fish.  Hated Second Hand Lions.

dazie

What made you hate it?

Alice

Quote from: dazie on June 05, 2006, 12:57:26 PM
What made you hate it?
Okay, hate is too strong a word.  I didn't like it though.

Most of it I'm sure has to do with Haley Joel Osment. 

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on June 05, 2006, 03:51:18 PM
What made you hate it?

I think a lot of it has to do with the movie trying to sail on the good will of its cast, as well as the cute factor.  It didn't earn its chops with actual writing or character development.  Kid and granddad had simply not reached a point as people where their big scene at the end was honest.

DownSouth

Quote from: Beefy on June 05, 2006, 03:53:39 PM
Quote from: Alice on June 05, 2006, 03:51:18 PM
What made you hate it?

I think a lot of it has to do with the movie trying to sail on the good will of its cast, as well as the cute factor.  It didn't earn its chops with actual writing or character development.  Kid and granddad had simply not reached a point as people where their big scene at the end was honest.
They were his uncles.  I think Osments and Caines characters had a deep relationship.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

I thought Secondhand Lions was boring.  That Osment kid grates on every nerve I have.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!