Started by dazie, April 24, 2006, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Quote from: DownSouth on June 05, 2006, 03:57:03 PM
Quote from: Beefy on June 05, 2006, 03:53:39 PM
Quote from: Alice on June 05, 2006, 03:51:18 PM
Quote from: dazie on June 05, 2006, 12:57:26 PM
What made you hate it?
Okay, hate is too strong a word.  I didn't like it though.

Most of it I'm sure has to do with Haley Joel Osment. 

I think a lot of it has to do with the movie trying to sail on the good will of its cast, as well as the cute factor.  It didn't earn its chops with actual writing or character development.  Kid and granddad had simply not reached a point as people where their big scene at the end was honest.
They were his uncles.  I think Osments and Caines characters had a deep relationship.

Shows you how much of an impression it left on me.

dazie

FERRIS BUELLER!

WOOO!

The kids had never seen it.  I'd forgotten what a good movie it is!  One of the defining elements of my teens.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dazie

Don Juan de Marco

How did I miss this movie?  I think I smiled through the whole thing.  Plot-device-wise it was similar to Secondhand Lions- what is reality?  When does the myth become real?  But that's cool.  I like that sort of romantic escapism.

Beefy

I've had a copy of Entrails of a Virgin sitting here for a few weeks.  I really need to get around to watching it.

swolt

son of a monkey nut!

I have been trying for THREE FREAKIN' YEARS to see Dune. Not the David Lynch Dune, which I own, but the William Hurt Dune.
Three years ago I bought it on DVD from a sale when a local video store went out of business. Only when I got it home and opened it up, it was the wrong movie.
About two years ago I rented it on Netflix. When it came in the disk was snapped in half. I sent it back and left it my queue but I never got it because it always said "short wait".
So now I'm with Blockbuster online and I rented it again. It came in on Friday and I've been waiting til today to watch it. So I made some popcorn, got a glass of chocolate milk ('cause I'm hardcore) and popped the DVD in.
ONLY IT'S THE WRONG DUNE! IT'S THE DAVID LYNCH DUNE!
The package says "Directed by John Harrison. Starring William Hurt." But the disk says "Directed by David Lynch. Starring Sting, in his gayest role evar."
(I take that back, "The Bride" is Sting's gayest movie evar. I know because I own it and watch it from time to time. GAYYYYY.)
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Listener

Quote from: swolt on July 23, 2006, 12:13:51 PM
son of a monkey nut!

I have been trying for THREE FREAKIN' YEARS to see Dune. Not the David Lynch Dune, which I own, but the William Hurt Dune.
Three years ago I bought it on DVD from a sale when a local video store went out of business. Only when I got it home and opened it up, it was the wrong movie.
About two years ago I rented it on Netflix. When it came in the disk was snapped in half. I sent it back and left it my queue but I never got it because it always said "short wait".
So now I'm with Blockbuster online and I rented it again. It came in on Friday and I've been waiting til today to watch it. So I made some popcorn, got a glass of chocolate milk ('cause I'm hardcore) and popped the DVD in.
The package says "Directed by John Harrison. Starring William Hurt." But the disk says "Directed by David Lynch. Starring Sting, in his gayest role evar."
(I take that back, "The Bride" is Sting's gayest movie evar. I know because I own it and watch it from time to time. GAYYYYY.)

spend the ten bucks and get it from amazon

swolt

Quote from: Listener on July 23, 2006, 08:09:29 PM
Quote from: swolt on July 23, 2006, 12:13:51 PM
son of a monkey nut!

spend the ten bucks and get it from amazon

no, damnit. I will rent and watch this movie if it kills me

dazie

ooo I love that one.  Much better than the David Lynch version. 

I bought mine at Target for $10...

Gamplayerx

Over the weekend I found a Netflix DVD that we never returned (we cancelled Netflix around 18 months ago).  I just put it in the mail.  I wonder what will happen.

In case you were wondering, it was Requiem for a Dream.  We never watched it.

dazie

They'll send you a note and say thanks.  They're quite polite about the whole thing.  (we did that once)

dazie

Strictly Ballroom

Good stuff, I'd seen it before but forgot.  The only downside is that now Kate is trying to tango with the Great Dane, who is much more of a mosh pit type.

dazie

I had time today to watch two movies all by myself!

1.  Benny & Joon.  Good stuff.  I'd forgotten what a baby face Johnny Depp used to have and how talented he really is.  Plus, Aidan Quinn- he doesn't work enough any more IMO.

2.  Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.  I love this movie.  It just cracks me right the hell up to see Terrence Stamp in drag.  Right down to his boobs in the lake scene.  What really irked me though, is the fact that the "special features" on the DVD consisted of two trailers.  YAWN.  I'd expect that THIS is a movie that has tons of stories behind it.  Whatta waste.

Jessie

We have Nosferatu (silent film - Timothy actually sat through and enjoyed it), Donnie Darko (I fell asleep, Timothy watched the entire thing [Carroll did not give an appropriate heads up on the language issue]), and Snakes on a Plane (haven't even opened it).
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Infobahn

HB Bought me Snakes on a Plane when I was sick (okay, I still am)

For my Bday, I got Little Miss Sunshine, Stripes, The Last Kiss, and Click

I have no idea why she bought the last two.

Oh, and I got Love Actually for Christmas

I will get Netflix again in the future.

dc

Quote from: Jessie on January 14, 2007, 05:41:41 PM
We have Nosferatu (silent film - Timothy actually sat through and enjoyed it), Donnie Darko (I fell asleep, Timothy watched the entire thing [Carroll did not give an appropriate heads up on the language issue]), and Snakes on a Plane (haven't even opened it).

Nosferatu is one of my favorite movies....  I've got a couple of different versions of it -- they vary mainly in quality and the musical score.  I even have one with the musical score consisting of Type O Negative songs.

ReBurn

I've never had Netflix.  I'm too busy to really watch DVD's with any consistency right now.  The last two I bought were Superman Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean 2.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

I never watched movies until I got Netflix.  Now I watch them all the time.  I love it.

Beefy

I just watched Just Before Dawn and watched half of The Great Yokai War before giving up (it made no sense to this Western brain).

I got my copy of The Host from overseas and watched it last night.  It comes out in U.S. theaters some time soon.  It was very... sprawling.  A really great entrance for the beastie.

ReBurn

If I'm ever out that way I want to watch movies at Beefy's house.  I'll bring the popcorn.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on January 14, 2007, 09:52:56 PM
If I'm ever out that way I want to watch movies at Beefy's house.  I'll bring the popcorn.
Seriously.  I'd love to have a junto gathering in Houston for bad movies.

BigDun

Quote from: Alice on January 14, 2007, 10:11:12 PM
I think we should take over the Grumpus family beach house and leave it trashed. That will teach them to steal his reserved days!
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

swolt

I am SOOO down for that. I will drag Daniel with me.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: swolt on January 14, 2007, 10:41:58 PM

I am SOOO down for that. I will drag Daniel with me.
Me, too!  Except the dragging Daniel with me.  I'll leave that to you.  And I'd have to get my hands on some stilts.  We have some crazy tall Juntotypes.

Jessie

We might want to get Beefaroni's thoughts on this before ordering tickets and stuff...

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on January 14, 2007, 11:34:44 PM
We might want to get Beefaroni's thoughts on this before ordering tickets and stuff...

Why?  INVASION!!