News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

Furniture Slipcovers?

Started by Miss Molly, April 12, 2006, 11:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

You know those big slipcover things you can buy to put over couches and chairs when the upholstery is no good or you don't like it?

Anybody have any experience with them?  I imagine that every time you sit down and get up, you have to re-tuck it in along the back and between cushions and arms. 

Am I mistaken?

Bennyhana

Some good slipcovers come with plastic rods and other pieces that wedge in places to keep things tucked where they need to go.  That said, I've seen very few that didn't look crappy anyway.

eo000

Quote from: Bennyhana on April 12, 2006, 11:46:35 PM
Some good slipcovers come with plastic rods and other pieces that wedge in places to keep things tucked where they need to go.  That said, I've seen very few that didn't look crappy anyway.
what he said. they look good as soon as you put them on, any time after that they look crappy.

dazie

If you get one that doesn't have one of those rods, you can get pvc pipe and stuff it down in the couch.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Infobahn

We bought one for a loveseat through a website, and it worked well for a couple of years.  The wife wasn't thrilled about it at first, but after the first spill - she threw it in the wash and loved it after that.

Jessie

I hated the one I had, but it was still better than the ugly couch.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

sugar_grrl

Use a sheet.  They look the same, they're cheaper, and you get those cool little patterns like clouds or balloons or frogs or bacon or whatever else floats yer boat.  Or you could just go to a fabric store and buy a big roll of fabric and go to town.....that's basically the same as a sheet.....
Have you ever seen a llama kiss a llama on the llama?

Alice

Quote from: sugar_grrl on April 13, 2006, 11:07:33 AM
Use a sheet.  They look the same, they're cheaper, and you get those cool little patterns like clouds or balloons or frogs or bacon or whatever else floats yer boat.  Or you could just go to a fabric store and buy a big roll of fabric and go to town.....that's basically the same as a sheet.....
They don't look the same at all - unless you're buying a $20 slip cover.  You can get very nicely fitted slip covers that look great, however, they cost about as much as a new couch.

Miss Molly

What if I get a roll of thick upholstery type material (not quite true upholstery fabric cause I'm pretty sure that shit's expensive) and  a staple gun......

Anybody ever makeshift re-upholster anything?

swolt

Quote from: Miss Molly on April 13, 2006, 11:37:37 PM
What if I get a roll of thick upholstery type material (not quite true upholstery fabric cause I'm pretty sure that shit's expensive) and  a staple gun......

my sister julie. She took the couch apart for like a month and when she was done I wasn't allowed to sit on it. But it sure looked pretty.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Miss Molly on April 13, 2006, 11:37:37 PM

Couches are hard, because they are both large and very complex.  Can you sew?  I'm told (though I don't know yet because I haven't tried it, I'll let you know in May after I've done it) that custom fit slipcovers can be made by putting pieces of fabric on the couch in panels and pinning them together, then taking the pieces to the sewing machine and sewing them.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on April 13, 2006, 06:57:25 AM
If you get one that doesn't have one of those rods, you can get pvc pipe and stuff it down in the couch.

so your where the morturary service got the idea of bone replacement with pvc...
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Dry then Catch

Hilariously this is like the 3rd thread about slipcovers.  Infobahn's suggested website is excellent, I have been just too lazy to you know.  click.

"I saw a commercial that said, 'Forget everything you know about slipcovers!' ... So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, but I didn't know what the hell they were."

ReBurn

I saw a guy yesterday that was selling sofas out of the back of a rental truck for $300.  But I doubt if that helps very much.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on April 14, 2006, 11:16:22 PM
I saw a guy yesterday that was selling sofas out of the back of a rental truck for $300.  But I doubt if that helps very much.

that's funny, I saw the same thing a few days ago riding around with Daniel.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on April 14, 2006, 11:16:58 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on April 14, 2006, 11:16:22 PM

that's funny, I saw the same thing a few days ago riding around with Daniel.
OMG!  I wonder if it was the same guy?  Or maybe his brother or something?  I could be a national chain!

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on April 14, 2006, 11:18:23 PM
I could be a national chain!
But then everyone would have a Reburn & we wouldn't be special anymore. 
:(

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on April 16, 2006, 01:31:11 AM
Quote from: ReBurn on April 14, 2006, 11:18:23 PM
I could be a national chain!
But then everyone would have a Reburn & we wouldn't be special anymore. 
:(
I've put my nationwide aspirations on hold for now.  The local market just isn't holding up that well.