News:

40,000th post goes to Gamp!  Happy birthday!

Main Menu

Silver Screen, by Justina Robson

Started by Listener, November 26, 2005, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Verdict:  $5.75 / $10.00

The plot takes a while to get moving, but once it does, it moves along nicely enough.  Not enough explanation of the main character beyond passing references to her weight problem.  Are-they-aren't-they issue with sex that gets annoying.  Plot climax comes just after a fairly-boring courtroom drama that sounds a little too much like the explanation scene in Snow Crash (Hiro explaining to Mr Lee, Uncle Enzo, and Mr Ng of Ng Heavy Industries). 

The book had a lot of promise, but in the end, it didn't deliver the way I wanted it too.  The author tried too hard to have a downer-denouement so prevalent in modern fiction.  Wait for it to hit the bargain shelf.

dazie

Quote from: Listener on November 26, 2005, 06:43:00 PM
Verdict:  $5.75 / $10.00

The plot takes a while to get moving, but once it does, it moves along nicely enough.  Not enough explanation of the main character beyond passing references to her weight problem.  Are-they-aren't-they issue with sex that gets annoying.  Plot climax comes just after a fairly-boring courtroom drama that sounds a little too much like the explanation scene in Snow Crash (Hiro explaining to Mr Lee, Uncle Enzo, and Mr Ng of Ng Heavy Industries). 

The book had a lot of promise, but in the end, it didn't deliver the way I wanted it too.  The author tried too hard to have a downer-denouement so prevalent in modern fiction.  Wait for it to hit the bargain shelf.

I :heart: you so much for that.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?