News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

I Created a Blog

Started by BigDun, March 30, 2014, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDun

My wife wants to setup an at home business as a way to write off the purchase of stuff like paper, pens, printer toner, etc. so I thought I would try and create a blog using WordPress. I already owned the domain ITILTopia.com (like utopia, but for ITIL) and I had previously been quite the contributor to the ITIL Community Forum. I went through all my posts to the forum and paraphrased the questions, pasted in just my response and presto, instant blog with 8 pages of topics to read through.

Mind you, this is REALLY geeky stuff, and unless you're an IT professional (as in Fortune 500 Corporate IT), it probably won't make a lot of sense. That being said, I now have a blog with content that would be interesting to some people, how do I make money from it (or at least look like I'm trying to make money from it for tax purposes)?

http://itiltopia.com
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dc

Good information -- from that I can see that we pretty much do the exact opposite of ITIL!

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

BigDun

I suppose. So how does one go about getting this ad revenue you speak of?

dc

Google Ads are pretty easy to sign up for and implement for starters.  If you start getting traffic and page views, you might be able to move on to a service that has better return rates.

Beefy

So ITIL is kind of like Lean Six Sigma or CMMI for IT organizations?

BigDun

Quote from: Beefy on April 03, 2014, 04:34:56 PM

mmm.... Not really.

BigDun

Ok, for the last 5 entries in my blog I have been writing from scratch with my wife proof reading. I have a few questions about my latest entries. I'll take the last one as a prime (albeit obscure) example.

Even though you don't know anything about the very specialized area of IT I am speaking to, If you read this: http://itiltopia.com/?p=485 do you:

1: Get a basic understanding of what I am trying to convey
2: Feel that the material is written in a readable style
3: See the few points where I try to inject humor into a horribly dry subject

By the way, if you want to read something that is understandable by a lay person, read this post: http://itiltopia.com/?p=376 and give me your opinions.

While you are at it, feel free to forward these to your IT geek friends and see if they have feedback that will help me improve my blog (they can leave comments in the articles' comments boxes).

BigDun

Quote from: BigDun on April 03, 2014, 09:29:36 PM
Quote from: Beefy on April 03, 2014, 04:34:56 PM

mmm.... Not really.

By the way, NASA has fully endorsed ITIL's best practices for IT (http://www.nasa.gov/offices/ocio/ittalk/06-2010_itil.html). I would be curious as to what the desktop techs who deal with day-to-day issues think of ITIL.

BigDun

dc

You get the basic understanding across quite well -- provided you have some understanding of change management or ITIL. 

I'm not so sure I'd worry about what a lay person would get out of it.  They'd need multiple posts explaining all the terminology, methodology and rationales for it.  You'd quickly find yourself bogged down in just doing that.  But your target audience is people who already have at least some basic background, so that doesn't matter.

But it's certainly readable and they make for good blog postings.  Clear and direct enough to make it a bit less dry. I hesitate to say "executive summaries" because of the negative connotations, but they serve a similar purpose.  Quick and clear discussions.

I do have some basic knowledge of ITIL (and PMP), but as I said, we don't employ any of it in our environment.

BigDun

Quote from: dc on April 16, 2014, 08:58:49 PM

.-- provided you have some understanding of change management or ITIL. 

That's why I like this one so much: http://itiltopia.com/?p=526 - It doesn't require any understanding of the esoteric background.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on April 09, 2014, 12:36:50 AM

While you are at it, feel free to forward these to your IT geek friends and see if they have feedback that will help me improve my blog (they can leave comments in the articles' comments boxes).

You guys ARE my IT geek friends!

swolt

I love it! Great writing and I love the passion you put into it. I only read a few post but I am bookmarking it and will read them all. Would it be ok if I linked it from my facebook and website?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

BigDun

Quote from: swolt on April 29, 2014, 10:48:39 AM
I love it! Great writing and I love the passion you put into it. I only read a few post but I am bookmarking it and will read them all. Would it be ok if I linked it from my facebook and website?

Please feel free to link them everywhere!

I should say that, other than the first page's posts, they aren't as well written.