News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

Started by Beef, March 19, 2005, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

This used to come on prime time TV about once a year.  Animated by Chuck Jones, it's Rudyard Kipling's story of a mongoose who fights off a pair of cobras at the estate of a British family in India.  I watched it every single time it came on and had it memorized.

It finally got released to DVD a few weeks back and just this past Friday arrived via Netflix.  It's much shorter than I remember, and the cobras aren't as dark and evil as they were for me as a kid, but it is still a huge notch above most of the cartoons for kids today. 

Did anyone else ever watch it?

Also on the DVD is another Chuck Jones short, Yankee Doodle Cricket.  I know I have seen it before but I don't remember being anywhere near as fond of it, and so it remains distant to me.

Gamplayerx

I remember reading the story as a child, but not seeing the cartoon.

But the title always makes me think of Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo.

ignom

I think I saw it once or twice. For some reason, for some reason, it reminds me of late 70s-era animation, like Speedy Gonzales or when Daffy Duck was funny.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on March 19, 2005, 08:50:07 PM
I think I saw it once or twice. For some reason, for some reason, it reminds me of late 70s-era animation, like Speedy Gonzales or when Daffy Duck was funny.

We grew up watching Chuck Jones' style of animation on Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry.  His style is instantly recognizable and largely influencial.

nishi

i saw it a couple of times. but somehow i remember my internal imagery from having read the story more strongly than the cartoon, which is really unusual. and yeah - my imagery for that is dark dark dark. it's a great story. and rikki tikki tavi is a fantastic name for a mongoose.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.