News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Born to Run

Started by Bishamonten, November 15, 2009, 11:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

I read this about a month ago.  For a very long time, I was fond of saying that I only ever ran if I was chased by a dog and even then it's 50/50.  Now?  Training for a 5k.  One of the big changes has been moving to barefoot running.  I feel like I have a pretty good bullshit filter and this book never triggered it.  Even if you don't dig running, the story in the book is fantastic. 

Available in audiobook format as well.

BigDun

The author was interviewed on The Daily Show. The culture of the people the author lived with in preperation for writing the book seemed very interesting.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Bennyhana

This town rips the bones from your back.

VikingJuice

I've heard it raised a lot of controversy because it puts a great deal of blame on shoes for anything from poor fitness to back/knee/ankle problems and a few other things.  Parts of the ideas espoused (that I gleaned only from watching an interview or two) seemed pretty solid but there were some parts I wasn't sure how they could justify. 

Like:
If you're running barefoot, how do you avoid cuts and scrapes on your feet that could get infected and cause greater problems?

If barefoot, how do you avoid arch problems or ankle sprains?

How do you avoid burning your feet or heel problems?

These are things that came to mind when watching the interview that I remember.

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Bishamonten

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 16, 2009, 01:25:43 AM
Like:
If you're running barefoot, how do you avoid cuts and scrapes on your feet that could get infected and cause greater problems?

Use your eyes.  See glass/rocks/tree roots?  Don't step on them.  Otherwise, try a pair of Vibrams: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

One of the points made is that due to the modern shoe we come down on our feet with tremendous force.  Which causes shin splints, arch pain, planar facitis, etc.  The culture he talks about in the book?  None of that.  And they run in shoes that can barely be called sandals and through much worse terrain than you or I ever will. 

Don't run on the hot parts :)

Gamplayerx

1.  I adore Reburn

2.  I adore Bish

3.  I adore

I don't know about running barefoot or running in those weird toe sock shoes you have Bish or running at all, but I'm thinking about getting the weird Shape Up shoes at Sketchers and wearing them on the treadmill.  They're supposed to help you get a damn fine butt.  Who doesn't want a nice piece of ass?

Jessie

I hate the song that this keeps making me sing.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Bishamonten on November 16, 2009, 07:58:50 PM
Like:

Use your eyes.  See glass/rocks/tree roots?  Don't step on them.  Otherwise, try a pair of Vibrams: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

One of the points made is that due to the modern shoe we come down on our feet with tremendous force.  Which causes shin splints, arch pain, planar facitis, etc.  The culture he talks about in the book?  None of that.  And they run in shoes that can barely be called sandals and through much worse terrain than you or I ever will. 

Sorry but that doesn't really answer my questions. Avoiding things while running can be quite difficult because most people don't stare the 2-3 feet of ground right in front of them when running.  Also, doesn't address ankle injuries.  One of my worst injuries, where I partially tore ligaments was at the beach, barefoot, playing catch with a frisbee.

That said, I understand the merits of the book, I just don't fully understand all of it's reasoning (again because I haven't read it and only have a passing curiosity in it at this time).

Bishamonten

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 18, 2009, 07:43:48 PM
Quote from: Bishamonten on November 16, 2009, 07:58:50 PM
Like:

Sorry but that doesn't really answer my questions. Avoiding things while running can be quite difficult because most people don't stare the 2-3 feet of ground right in front of them when running.  Also, doesn't address ankle injuries.  One of my worst injuries, where I partially tore ligaments was at the beach, barefoot, playing catch with a frisbee.

That said, I understand the merits of the book, I just don't fully understand all of it's reasoning (again because I haven't read it and only have a passing curiosity in it at this time).

One of the reasons you likely injured your ankle was because your ankle is weak.  Often, because it's been jammed in a restrictive shoe.  The main advice I've found for people starting to run barefoot is start slow... really really slow.  You're using muscles that -never- get used if you wear shoes a lot and you're going to injure them if you rush into it.

As for stepping on stuff, the link above(  http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ ) sells shoes that are tough rubber on the bottoms but provide no artificial support.  I run over acorns, through gravel, even ran through an ankle deep hedge friday while wearing these. 

Gamplayerx

Semi-related and only a partial threadjack -- I got a pair of Sketcher's Shape Ups on Wednesday.  I love them just a teensy bit inappropriately.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 21, 2009, 09:43:26 PM
Semi-related and only a partial threadjack -- I got a pair of Sketcher's Shape Ups on Wednesday.  I love them just a teensy bit inappropriately.

I saw that video once.  You're sick.

grace

Quote from: Jessie on November 17, 2009, 09:55:13 PM
I hate the song that this keeps making me sing.

i hate that song too and i keep envisioning forest gump. run forest run...not a jogging person, but i would like to see gamps new treads.