News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Eternal Soup

Started by dazie, November 13, 2009, 09:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

One of the things that came up in my work getting healthy group was the fact that many of us don't get enough fruits and veggies during the day.  We also discussed sharing recipes.  So, here's my contribution to killing two birds with one stone.*  This is also a really good soup for cold weather, which theoretically will be arriving in most areas soon.

Eternal Soup
From "Passionate Vegetarian" by Crescent Dragonwagon

3 cups dehydrated black bean or pinto bean flakes
2 cups homemade vegetable stock or commercial vegetable broth
1 bag (16 ounces) frozen vegetables, either a mixture or a single vegetable, or 3-4 cups virtually any assortment of fresh, raw cut-up vegetables
1/2 to 1 cup "something tomatoey," could be tomato puree, good-quality bottled salsa (as hot or mild as desired), canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, spicy or regular tomato or mixed vegetable juice, or leftover spaghetti sauce
Boiling water, preferably spring or filtered,
to cover
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Additions (Optional)
Parmesan cheese
Hot sauce
Cilantro or parsley
Plain yogurt or sour cream
Other yummy bits & pieces

1. Plug in a slow cooker. Pour in the dehydrated bean flakes, stock, vegetables, and tomato product of choice. Turn the heat to high. Add boiling water as needed until the pot is nearly full. Stir well a few times. Cover.

2. Let simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until you can smell its fragrance or until you start getting hungry. Turn the heat to low if you feel some ingredients might be getting overcooked.

3. When ready to eat, season with salt and pepper, ladle out the soup, and add whichever of the optional additions or whatever else appeals to you. Serve with toast, crackers, or a scoop of cooked pasta or grain in the bottom of each bowl.

4. After lunch is over, unplug the slow cooker. Let the soup cool to room temperature, then cover and place the entire pot in the fridge for tomorrow. Next day, add more liquid and/or more beans and vegetables- any of the first four ingredients listed above- stir, reheat slowly (allowing any fresh ingredients to cook through), and eat- with a canny sense of satisfaction.

It's important if you want to reuse this soup time and again that you keep any animal products out of it.  Feel free to add cheese or bits of meat if you want, but do it at the bowl, not at the pot.  Play with this soup.  Get a little crazy- throw in a sweet potato one day, some okra the next time you have it (not gonna happen in MY soup, but some people out there like okra) then spice things up with salsa or black beans.  It's a great way to get your veggies in a tasty, low fat, high-variety manner.

*no birds were killed in the making of this blog post.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

pumpkineye

What the hell kind of name is 'Crescent Dragonwagon'?  Sounds like some sort of hippie sex position.

dazie

Gamplayerx

What the heck are bean flakes???

dazie

Dehydrated bean flakes.  Um.  Fairly self explanatory.  I get mine at the hippie grocery store.

http://www.barryfarm.com/nutri_info/veggies/blackbeanflakes.html

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on November 25, 2009, 11:18:21 PM
Dehydrated bean flakes.  Um.  Fairly self explanatory.  I get mine at the hippie grocery store.

That is not self explanatory. No normal person would decide to dehydrate and the slice beans into flakes.

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 26, 2009, 07:35:37 PM
Quote from: dazie on November 25, 2009, 11:18:21 PM

That is not self explanatory. No normal person would decide to dehydrate and the slice beans into flakes.

Hippies do.