A Book You Should Read, But Can't Or Won't

Started by Listener, August 04, 2005, 02:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I'm about 325 pages into it - and while it's okay, I just don't see the big deal yet.  And am getting ridiculously frustrated at the layouts of the pages.  I understand how it relates to the overall feel of the book and is symbolic of the house, but for christ's sake it can get irritating.  Like when I have to turn the book upside down to read it.  Or scan through pages of bibliography on the margins of the book to see if I'm missing something important.

Beefy

For me, it was like the text version of the Blair Witch Project, except more complicated and less profane.

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 02:30:20 PM
For me, it was like the text version of the Blair Witch Project, except more complicated and less profane.
I like the story so far, well the Navidson Project story.  The other dude I couldn't care less about really.  And the whole Zampano foot notes are really ruining it for me.  But perhaps it's like Saw 3, where I need to wait til the end before I make a decision.  Very few movies and books endings have changed my mind about the whole piece of art, but it does happen.

Gamplayerx

I did not.  It seems that the entire State of Maryland only had one copy of the book in the entire public library/university system and that copy was returned "damaged" and removed from circulation.

Dry then Catch

What a coincidence I just finished House of Leaves

Style over substance.  One of the most unique books I ever read, but defintely not too rewarding unlesss you are into puzzles and cryptography games.  It gets a little better with Johnny's narrative toward the end.  More than just fucking and freaking out.  The last part of the book is a series of letters from his mom at the asyleum, pretty creepy.  it lends some insight and connection into his own experiences and the house, but overall the house is still a big WTF.

From what I understand there are about a zillion puzzles, hidden clever messages, but none that really tell about the plot.  Its like finding Easter eggs in a DVD.  But I wanted a scary story!  I didn't buy a tricked out version of the New York Times crossword.  It only hints of  tension.  I wanted fascinating sci-fi or horror or supernatural or psychological thriller or some element of a twist, but there was none. 

did you know the author's sist
er is Poe? 

Beefy

Alice

Maybe I don't have to finish it after Catchr's post about part of the ending.  ::)

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on June 18, 2007, 07:42:18 PM
Maybe I don't have to finish it after Catchr's post about part of the ending.  ::)

oh shit i didnt spoiler-size it.  No I'm serious I'm really sorry.  ill get you another book, a non disappointing one

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 08:03:32 PM
Quote from: Alice on June 18, 2007, 07:42:18 PM

oh shit i didnt spoiler-size it.  No I'm serious I'm really sorry.  ill get you another book, a non disappointing one
Nah, don't worry about it.  Its not been that rivoting anyway - that may have given me some motivation to finish it.

nishi

Quote from: Alice on June 18, 2007, 01:52:14 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 05, 2005, 01:20:13 PM
Someday I'd like to finish that House of Leaves thing or whatever it's called.
I don't know why, this much later, I remember you saying this.

Did you ever finish it?  If so - does it get any better?

fuck that book in the neck. i finished wading through it. i hated it. i hate that i wasted as much time as i did trying to figure out why i should bother finishing it.

i'm glad catchr told you the ending because now you know how it ends and you can stop reading. please. stop. i beg you. you'll thank me someday.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

The problem is that it came highly recommended from some friends, whose taste in literature I value pretty highly.  And they lent me their copy... I feel like I should finish it.  But at the same time, if I'm 325 pages into it and it still hasn't grabbed me, perhaps it is time to move on.

nishi

QuoteBut at the same time, if I'm 325 pages into it and it still hasn't grabbed me, perhaps it is time to move on.

bingo.

sometimes people with great taste in literature can still be wrong about a book.

because that book pissed me off so much, i did a lot of reading about it.

but really - just look at the wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves

it's a fucking nightmare. clever to be clever.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

Yeah, I was getting that feeling.  That the layout of it had less to do with enhancing the book and more to do with being different.  It felt a little pretentious to me.  Speaking of, maybe he and Tom Robbins should get together to write a book. 

Dry then Catch

I still feel bad, I was THAT guy who spoiled shit.

The more I think about it the more angry I am at the book.   

At first I felt sort of low-brow for wanting a twist ending, as gimmicks are for the masses eh?  well, now I realized the whole damn book is a gimmick, so why should I feel bad for wanting one.