News:

9/8/05: 6 months, 75,000 posts! Thanks to Nishi for the post!

Main Menu

A Book You Should Read, But Can't Or Won't

Started by Listener, August 04, 2005, 02:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

What I mean is this:  what book do you think you should have read at this point in your life, but never got around to it, or gave up on it, or whatever.

Mine is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  I like a lot of her philosophies, so I said a few months ago, "self, we need another $7.00 to get Super Saver Shipping on this Amazon order.  Let's add in Atlas Shrugged."  Then I said, "self, that's a great idea."

No it wasn't.

The story didn't move.  The characters weren't dynamic.  I gave up after four chapters when it became clear that nothing was going to happen.  I didn't even care who John Galt was anymore.

Maybe at some point in the distant future, I'll try to take it on again.  But not now.

That's mine.  What's yours?

nishi

for a long time, i thought i should have read more faulkner besides the required "as i lay dying" in high school.

now, i've given him up for what will probably be lifelong lent as far as he is concerned.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

80% of the books I own.

If I had to pick one, I'll probably never finish Michener's Alaska.

Dry then Catch

HOLY SCHMORKEL i was going to say Atlas Shrugged before i even clicked it.

i read anthem and excerpts of Fountainhead, but I just don't like taht Ayn Rand.

Listener

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 04, 2005, 04:15:39 PM
HOLY SCHMORKEL i was going to say Atlas Shrugged before i even clicked it.

i read anthem and excerpts of Fountainhead, but I just don't like taht Ayn Rand.

I feel better about skipping over Rand because I've read more than my fair share of Heinlein... including the at-times-dreadfully-boring For Us The Living.  (It's okay, though, cos he makes up for it with Friday, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, Time Enough For Love, and all the rest... I especially like Blert the Cat from TCWWTW...)

ursus

The Ayn Rand thread:
http://www.juntoonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=1232.0

You guys have company... ;D

My own? The bio of Che Guevara by Jon Lee Anderson. Cool stuff, wacky life, a death that is opratic in it's scope, I just can't finish it.
I was just wondering...

ignom

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

dazie

Most of the "have to" books I seem to have been forced to read in school.

Now I look at my bookshelf replete with Civil War books and think "How can I call myself interested in the Civil War if I havent' ever read any Bruce Catton?"

So I'd say Bruce Catton.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: dazie on August 04, 2005, 06:40:33 PM

Now I look at my bookshelf replete with Civil War books and think "How can I call myself interested in the Civil War if I havent' ever read any Bruce Catton?"

So I'd say Bruce Catton.

Catton is for pedestrians.

dazie

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on August 04, 2005, 07:21:36 PM

So I'd say Bruce Catton.

?  Do tell.

dc

Quote from: dazie on August 04, 2005, 07:46:41 PM

So I'd say Bruce Catton.

?  Do tell.

Catton is a nice introductory writer.  There's nothing there for someone who has advanced past a passing interest in the Civil War.

meredith

I've been wanting to read The Brothers K for a while now.  I tracked down a copy from Project Gutenberg, but then I made the excuse that I wanted to get a deadtree copy because it would be such a pain to read on a monitor.  I checked a few bookstores, but never saw a copy.  Thus, it has been on the back burner for a good long time.  It's going to be so burnt I'll throw away the whole pot.

dc

Quote from: hattmoward on August 04, 2005, 07:55:53 PM
I've been wanting to read The Brothers K for a while now.  I tracked down a copy from Project Gutenberg, but then I made the excuse that I wanted to get a deadtree copy because it would be such a pain to read on a monitor.  I checked a few bookstores, but never saw a copy.  Thus, it has been on the back burner for a good long time.  It's going to be so burnt I'll throw away the whole pot.

Any B&N store should have it.  We actually publish a version of it in the B&N Classics line.

meredith

Quote from: dc on August 04, 2005, 07:57:51 PM
Any B&N store should have it.  We actually publish a version of it in the B&N Classics line.

Thanks for the tip.  I rarely visit those fancy bookstores; I prefer to troll the used bookstores. :)

dc

Quote from: hattmoward on August 04, 2005, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: dc on August 04, 2005, 07:57:51 PM
Quote from: hattmoward on August 04, 2005, 07:55:53 PM

Thanks for the tip.  I rarely visit those fancy bookstores; I prefer to troll the used bookstores. :)

Ah, a cheapskate.  Don't worry, the Classics line is budget priced, unlike the copies from those thieving regular publisher bastards.

meredith

Quote from: dc on August 04, 2005, 08:01:14 PM
Ah, a cheapskate.  Don't worry, the Classics line is budget priced, unlike the copies from those thieving regular publisher bastards.

Bastards!

B&N isn't bad with the pricing.  Not nearly as bad as *shudder* Border's.

dc

Quote from: hattmoward on August 04, 2005, 08:02:59 PM
Quote from: dc on August 04, 2005, 08:01:14 PM

Bastards!

B&N isn't bad with the pricing.  Not nearly as bad as *shudder* Border's.

A lot of it is because the upper levels feel that the publishers are driving up book prices without merit, and the company has been committed to proving that good books don't have to be so damn expensive.  So there's B&N publishing and Sterling Publishers as a part of the company now.  Sterling will sell to any bookseller (except Border's, but that's because Border's won't buy.) They're picky about selling to places like Wal-Mart, but that's because Wal-Mart insists  on screwing both the publisher *and* the author.

ignom

When I was studying publishing at NYU, all my professors had day jobs with the big companies like Simon & Schuster and Penguin imprints. God, did they all hate Barnes & Noble for publishing their own books.

dc

Quote from: ignom on August 04, 2005, 08:36:17 PM
When I was studying publishing at NYU, all my professors had day jobs with the big companies like Simon & Schuster and Penguin imprints. God, did they all hate Barnes & Noble for publishing their own books.

Because it endangers their cash cow and monopoly on pricing.

ignom

Quote from: dc on August 04, 2005, 08:40:17 PM

That was part of it.

All the people I met in publishing, especially people newer to the industry, were in constant fear of losing there jobs. Or maybe they all just wanted me to leave New York.

dc

Quote from: ignom on August 04, 2005, 08:56:56 PM
Quote from: dc on August 04, 2005, 08:40:17 PM

That was part of it.

All the people I met in publishing, especially people newer to the industry, were in constant fear of losing there jobs. Or maybe they all just wanted me to leave New York.

The publishing industry is headed for trouble.  Between pushing hardcovers up over $30, and paperbacks near $10, which has hurt sales (they claim that sales are down because "people aren't reading."), and the amount of unedited and unfiltered shit being dropped into the market by "print on demand" titles, there are big problems brewing.

dazie

Quote from: dc on August 04, 2005, 07:48:28 PM
Quote from: dazie on August 04, 2005, 07:46:41 PM

So I'd say Bruce Catton.

?  Do tell.

Catton is a nice introductory writer.  There's nothing there for someone who has advanced past a passing interest in the Civil War.

That's why I figure I should read it.  I've read more in depth stuff, why not the introductory stuff?  One thing I just cannot get through though is Longstreet's autobiography.  GAWD what an awful writer.

Jessie

The Cat in the Hat.

I hear that's a real classic.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on August 05, 2005, 07:41:35 AM
The Cat in the Hat.

I hear that's a real classic.

I always hated that book.  I thought the cat was naughty and that Thing 1 and Thing 2 were just reprobates.

ignom

All the Names by Jose Saramago

I always wanted to read this book, but I've never been able to get through the four-page paragraphs.

Dry then Catch

Gamplayerx

Someday I'd like to finish that House of Leaves thing or whatever it's called.

dazie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 05, 2005, 12:31:16 PM
i hear its pretty good

I really dislike that book, quite a bit.  I think Holden should be bitchslapped.

cnamon

I tried to read The Fountainhead...I just couldn't finish it.  Same thing with the Bible.

Jessie

I need to find a book on keeping dudes from being drawn in by my pure animal magnetism.

Beefy

Quote from: cnamon on August 05, 2005, 02:39:47 PM
I tried to read The Fountainhead...I just couldn't finish it.  Same thing with the Bible.

Sinner.

dazie

Jessie

ursus

Quote from: dazie on August 05, 2005, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 05, 2005, 12:31:16 PM
i hear its pretty good

I really dislike that book, quite a bit. I think Holden should be bitchslapped.
I own lotss of copies of that one. Where ever I go I have to by a copy...I don't know why.

Now, if I could just shake those black helicopters!

*puts on foil hat and slinks off*
I was just wondering...

Mr. Ubiquity

ursus - thats called obsessive compulsive.

*sigh*

i wish i had a fun disorder.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ursus

Quote from: Marixis on August 06, 2005, 09:06:45 AM
ursus - thats called obsessive compulsive.

*sigh*

i wish i had a fun disorder.
nope, but you're on the right track...
I was just wondering...

Mr. Ubiquity

"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ursus

I'll give you another hint, it's sort of an homage...
I was just wondering...

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ursus on August 06, 2005, 09:16:41 AM
I'll give you another hint, it's sort of an homage...
An homage to a sort of crappy movie at that.

Mr. Ubiquity

julia roberts and mel gibson - conspiracy theory??

ursus

I was just wondering...

Gamplayerx

Mr. Ubiquity

Alice

Quote from: cnamon on August 05, 2005, 02:39:47 PM
I read the Bible 6 times cover to cover by the time I was 18.  I really needed to get out more.

Dry then Catch

how many assasins carried a copy of Catchr?

i can say I never  sat and read the Bible in order from cover to cover.

ursus

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 08, 2005, 04:39:27 PM
how many assasins carried a copy of Catchr?

i can say I never sat and read the Bible in order from cover to cover.
We're only worried if you insist on using first, middle and last name.
I was just wondering...

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 05, 2005, 01:20:13 PM
I don't know why, this much later, I remember you saying this.

Did you ever finish it?  If so - does it get any better?

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on June 18, 2007, 01:52:14 PM

That book gave me a serious case of the shivers.

Alice

I'm about 325 pages into it - and while it's okay, I just don't see the big deal yet.  And am getting ridiculously frustrated at the layouts of the pages.  I understand how it relates to the overall feel of the book and is symbolic of the house, but for christ's sake it can get irritating.  Like when I have to turn the book upside down to read it.  Or scan through pages of bibliography on the margins of the book to see if I'm missing something important.

Beefy

For me, it was like the text version of the Blair Witch Project, except more complicated and less profane.

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 02:30:20 PM
For me, it was like the text version of the Blair Witch Project, except more complicated and less profane.
I like the story so far, well the Navidson Project story.  The other dude I couldn't care less about really.  And the whole Zampano foot notes are really ruining it for me.  But perhaps it's like Saw 3, where I need to wait til the end before I make a decision.  Very few movies and books endings have changed my mind about the whole piece of art, but it does happen.

Gamplayerx

I did not.  It seems that the entire State of Maryland only had one copy of the book in the entire public library/university system and that copy was returned "damaged" and removed from circulation.

Dry then Catch

What a coincidence I just finished House of Leaves

Style over substance.  One of the most unique books I ever read, but defintely not too rewarding unlesss you are into puzzles and cryptography games.  It gets a little better with Johnny's narrative toward the end.  More than just fucking and freaking out.  The last part of the book is a series of letters from his mom at the asyleum, pretty creepy.  it lends some insight and connection into his own experiences and the house, but overall the house is still a big WTF.

From what I understand there are about a zillion puzzles, hidden clever messages, but none that really tell about the plot.  Its like finding Easter eggs in a DVD.  But I wanted a scary story!  I didn't buy a tricked out version of the New York Times crossword.  It only hints of  tension.  I wanted fascinating sci-fi or horror or supernatural or psychological thriller or some element of a twist, but there was none. 

did you know the author's sist
er is Poe? 

Beefy

Alice

Maybe I don't have to finish it after Catchr's post about part of the ending.  ::)

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on June 18, 2007, 07:42:18 PM
Maybe I don't have to finish it after Catchr's post about part of the ending.  ::)

oh shit i didnt spoiler-size it.  No I'm serious I'm really sorry.  ill get you another book, a non disappointing one

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 08:03:32 PM
Quote from: Alice on June 18, 2007, 07:42:18 PM

oh shit i didnt spoiler-size it.  No I'm serious I'm really sorry.  ill get you another book, a non disappointing one
Nah, don't worry about it.  Its not been that rivoting anyway - that may have given me some motivation to finish it.

nishi

Quote from: Alice on June 18, 2007, 01:52:14 PM

fuck that book in the neck. i finished wading through it. i hated it. i hate that i wasted as much time as i did trying to figure out why i should bother finishing it.

i'm glad catchr told you the ending because now you know how it ends and you can stop reading. please. stop. i beg you. you'll thank me someday.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

The problem is that it came highly recommended from some friends, whose taste in literature I value pretty highly.  And they lent me their copy... I feel like I should finish it.  But at the same time, if I'm 325 pages into it and it still hasn't grabbed me, perhaps it is time to move on.

nishi

QuoteBut at the same time, if I'm 325 pages into it and it still hasn't grabbed me, perhaps it is time to move on.

bingo.

sometimes people with great taste in literature can still be wrong about a book.

because that book pissed me off so much, i did a lot of reading about it.

but really - just look at the wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves

it's a fucking nightmare. clever to be clever.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

Yeah, I was getting that feeling.  That the layout of it had less to do with enhancing the book and more to do with being different.  It felt a little pretentious to me.  Speaking of, maybe he and Tom Robbins should get together to write a book. 

Dry then Catch

I still feel bad, I was THAT guy who spoiled shit.

The more I think about it the more angry I am at the book.   

At first I felt sort of low-brow for wanting a twist ending, as gimmicks are for the masses eh?  well, now I realized the whole damn book is a gimmick, so why should I feel bad for wanting one.