News:

"I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not." --Lucille Ball

Main Menu

whats the best way to go about painting stuff and shit

Started by Dry then Catch, July 24, 2005, 05:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

so i've acquired a bunch of random ass furniture throughout my years as sort of a jr. landlord.  people tend to leave stuff and i dont throw them away.  my parents throw everything away very fast even if it has sentimental value (or in some case retail value ie about 100 Transformers and 50 NES games.  they still don't regret doing it)   so i've become opposite.

sure some of that furniture is complete shit so it goes on freecycle.com.

some is in good shape and interesting looking but sort of drabbly colored or has a chip or two.

i realized if i gave it sort of an odd paint scheme many of them sort of would look retro Scandanavian. (as opposed to grandparents attic stuff).

then i realized i know little about painiting.  and my roommmate who painted my walls said he would never let me paint anything cause he could see it being a fiasco.  so im not going to ask him.

say if i bought a can of spray paint.... could I spray like a vineer and metal table?  would that dry evenly or look weird?
how bout just a bucket o paint.  can i slather it on like a chair thats sort of faded?

what types of paints go well with what types of materal?

the main things i would paint are that fake ass wood strips that cover particle board, metal, plastic and wood with a rough surface.

am i just being stupid and cheap?

also is there a way to fix up dog chewed wood and plastic?  LOL

much thx in advance appreciatIAD!!!! 

-Andrew and Linda Riley Jaw
Schofield, Iowa
BossISJewishCarpenter@gmail.com

"Television has proved that people will look at anything rather than each other. "
Ann Landers

dazie

If a piece is honest to god wood, get some paint stripping stuff at the hardware store, follow the directions on the can and take whatever paint is on the piece off.

Then paint as your little heart's desires.  I recommend a paint with a fairly hard finish (enamel), or a coat of shellac/laquer (do they even still make shellac?) so it doesn't get bashed up.  Plus it'll be shiny and easier to clean.

If a piece is plastic- go ahead and try spray paint, but it might not work.  Again- check with a knowledgeable paint person at the hardware store.

Metal is easy- sand off any rusty spots or places where original paint has chipped and paint over it all.  Krylon is good for that.

Dog chewed wood may be salvaged with wood putty (think Bondo for coffee tables) but you'd need to paint over it so it didn't stand out.  Dog chewed plastic- well, you could melt it and make it in to something else?

As long as you're patient and are willing to make several thin coats of paint instead of one thick gloppy coat, things shouldn't run or look weird.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Dry then Catch

i wish you weren't so knowledgable about this dazie cause you made it sound a lot harder than i imagined.  i just wanted to shoot a can of spray paint over things. 

the wood already is unpainted.  so i would just put an enamel type.   how do i make sure it dries evenly.

gah this is loooking difficult

Beefy

Hire a painter.  Or get some collegiate art school hippy type to do it.

dazie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 24, 2005, 05:21:45 PM
i wish you weren't so knowledgable about this dazie cause you made it sound a lot harder than i imagined.  i just wanted to shoot a can of spray paint over things. 

the wood already is unpainted.  so i would just put an enamel type.   how do i make sure it dries evenly.

gah this is loooking difficult

*lol*  if it were just up to me and it was my crappy ass furniture, I'd say hit all of it with Krylon and let the drips fall where they may.  You can call it "folk art" and sell it at flea markets.

As a matter of fact, I'm looking at my filing cabinet right now.  I painted half of it with green spray paint before I ran out of interest and paint. I even painted the handles and everything.  (see below)

I also have an ancient bookshelf/cabinet that my great grandfather built.  It's all beat to hell, but I'm too lazy to refinish it and too cheap to have someone else do it.  So it's "shabby chic" (see below)

The only thing you have to do when you paint is make sure all the wee beasties in the house stay away from the piece until it is dry.  Other than that don't worry about it drying.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ReBurn

They threw away your transformers and I didn't read about you in the newspaper?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Dry then Catch

the cabinet is pretty cool dazie, though i don't have a cabinent.  in a few days i'll take pictures of what i want to paint and you guys can decide teh fate of it!  whatever you decide I'll do!

Reburn, it was a cover up and conspiracy.  my parents claimed i broke and lost them.  they'll get theirs one day in the nursing home

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurninator on July 24, 2005, 07:50:57 PM
They threw away your transformers and I didn't read about you in the newspaper?

Penalty of death!

Or tea and cake.

dazie

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on July 26, 2005, 10:17:26 AM
I like that bookshelf/cabinet thingy.

That's the one my ggrandfather built.  I swear it's actually made out of cement painted to look like wood.  It weighs several hundred pounds EMPTY.  Ursus hates it.  Every time we move he asks "Can we leave the white cabinet?"

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on July 26, 2005, 11:02:13 AM

That's the one my ggrandfather built.  I swear it's actually made out of cement painted to look like wood.  It weighs several hundred pounds EMPTY.  Ursus hates it.  Every time we move he asks "Can we leave the white cabinet?"

You could always ship it to me.  I might have to sell Timothy to pay hte shipping, though.

cnamon

Quote from: Jessie on July 26, 2005, 11:38:59 AM

You could always ship it to me.  I might have to sell Timothy to pay hte shipping, though.
Does he clean and paint?  I'll give a good $5 for the kid.

dazie

Nope nope nope.  I'm keeping it.  :)

On a similar note though- I need to buy a crock pot.  *LOL*  The one I kept instead of sending it to you got left in NV.   :loser:  I'm looking at the pretty red one at Target, although it's only 4.5 quarts.  I suppose I should get the bigger one.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on July 26, 2005, 12:04:21 PM

On a similar note though- I need to buy a crock pot.  *LOL*  The one I kept instead of sending it to you got left in NV.   :loser:  I'm looking at the pretty red one at Target, although it's only 4.5 quarts.  I suppose I should get the bigger one.

haha!

Want me to send it back?

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on July 26, 2005, 12:06:55 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 26, 2005, 12:04:21 PM

haha!

Want me to send it back?

Nope.  That one is too small for the 4 of us.  Plus it isnt' red.  :)  I like all the pretty new red appliances they have now.  You keep it and make yummy things in it.

Bishamonten

right.  So the trick to packing shit... oh, wait you're talking about painting things.. not my specialty.

Alice

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on June 06, 2006, 04:15:24 PM
Random regeneration.

to make it not so random:  I have painted a bathroom and nothing else since then.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 06, 2006, 04:26:04 PM
Random regeneration.

to make it not so random:  I have painted a bathroom and nothing else since then.
To make it even less random ... what color?

Please say lilac.

ReBurn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 06, 2006, 08:03:38 PM
Random regeneration.

Please say lilac.
did you hire illegal immigrants and pay them less than minimum wage?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bennyhana

Random regeneration.

please tell me you didn't spray paint it.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: ReBurn on June 06, 2006, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 06, 2006, 08:03:38 PM
Random regeneration.

Please say lilac.
did you hire illegal immigrants and pay them less than minimum wage?

No, I had a half Mexican roommate who owed me money do it.  I HELPED

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 06, 2006, 11:36:34 PM
please tell me you didn't spray paint it.

No I used fingerpaint duh