News:

ever clean urine and wet dreams out of a t-rex's mouth

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by dazie, January 01, 2009, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

In the past few days I've read "Valhalla Rising" by Clive Cussler, "In Her Shoes" by Jennifer Weiner and "Hidden Kitchens: Stories, Recipes and More from NPR's The Kitchen Sisters" by Nikki Silva and Davia Nelson.

The first two are enjoyable fluff, good vacation reading.  The third (which I actually read first) is an excellent book if you like NPR.  Good stories, some heartrending, most pretty fun.  Plus recipes, which are always a treat. 

So what are you guys reading?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dc

"Lump of Coal" by Lemony Snicket

"The Fourth Bear" by Jasper Fforde

*Edit* -- And "BAAA" by David Macaulay

grace

New Orleans--authentic recipes celebrating the foods of the world.

Letters by Henry Miller.

BigDun

Reading: It's A Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection by Bill Watterson

Listening to: Woken Furies (Unabridged) by Richard K. Morgan
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

nishi

i just re-set my brain by re-reading the entire aubrey-maturin series by patrick o'brian.

i think it helped.

now i'm reading the newest novel by jim harrison, "the english major". i adore him, but so far this one isn't outstanding.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Infobahn

I am reading
Harold and the Magic Crayon
To Andy.

eo000

too fat to fish, by artie lang

swolt

I am reading:
"Angel Customers and Demon Customers"
"Designing a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure"
and
"Coyote Blue"

Coyote Blue I got for Christmas and it's pretty funny.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Beefy

Infobahn

Beefy

Infobahn

Quote from: Beefy on January 02, 2009, 01:07:59 PM
Quote from: Infobahn on January 02, 2009, 12:54:41 PM
Quote from: Beefy on January 02, 2009, 12:40:44 PM
Lots of blogs lately.
I am loving Google Reader.

I am now looking that up.
It is nice as I can read my RSS feeds from ANY computer or my iPhone (or Blackberry).

Jessie

Im finishing draft 2 of Carroll's book, but yesterday I bought War and Peace, Atonement, and Under the Banner of Heaven.

I've also been reading Digital Photographers Handbook.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on January 02, 2009, 06:48:45 PM
Im finishing draft 2 of Carroll's book, but yesterday I bought War and Peace, Atonement, and Under the Banner of Heaven.

What do you think of the Digital Photographer's Handbook?  I've been contemplating buying something like that very recently but haven't gotten off my ass to make it happen yet.

Alice

Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs and a zombie haiku book.

Jessie

Quote from: VikingJuice on January 02, 2009, 11:57:45 PM
Quote from: Jessie on January 02, 2009, 06:48:45 PM

What do you think of the Digital Photographer's Handbook?  I've been contemplating buying something like that very recently but haven't gotten off my ass to make it happen yet.
The one I bought is from 2002 (it was only $6) and it's dated, and I'm not fond of how it's written.  I haven't learned much from it.

I want this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X

I just haven't bought it yet.

Infobahn

You would be better off reading a couple of blogs about Digital Photography, as things change so often.  Also, you can ask questions and see example and join contests.  One of the best bloggers out there (I met him at Blog World) also runs a website for digital photography.  Start here:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/

dazie

I 2nd Info's suggestion.

See if you can get on a newsletter list.  I used to be on one for PhotoShop that was great, I'm assuming there are similar ones out there for photography.

I'm now reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" btw.  Lubs me some Half Price Books.  $1!
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

I just read Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves (I read it in one day). Last night I started Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

Quote from: BigDun on January 03, 2009, 01:15:53 PM
...Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler.
That sounds like an Oprah selection right there.

Jessie

Quote from: Infobahn on January 03, 2009, 10:46:43 AM
You would be better off reading a couple of blogs about Digital Photography, as things change so often.  Also, you can ask questions and see example and join contests.  One of the best bloggers out there (I met him at Blog World) also runs a website for digital photography.  Start here:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/
I've read a lot on that site.  Sometimes I like to get off the internet and hold a book in my hands, though.  Books can also go in my camera bag.  My computer and the whole internet can't.

Gamplayerx

I am reading some really silly book called "Undead and Unwed" that I got from the ship's library.  It seems to be about a blond former model turned vampire queen who really loves designer shoes. 

eo000

i've moved on from too fat to fish, to the bro code.

Jessie

I read all of Atonement this weekend.  It's a very good book.  The movie is an excellent adaptation, near perfect, really.