News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Twilight etc...

Started by dazie, November 24, 2008, 11:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Anyone?

I'm debating reading them, except that a woman I know in Nevada is "obsessed" with them, and that usually means it'll be crap.  She thinks American Idol is "AMAZING!" and gushed over Nicholas Sparks books.  I find her very existence to be the antithesis of my idea of good taste.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

From my wife: She enjoyed them but found them a little on the simplistic side as far as the writing. But enjoyable. She's on book 4. Harry Potter it ain't.

I have been reading the first book on her Kindle when we are at the vet getting our dog's weekly chiropractic treatment. So far I'm about 1/10 of the way into it and find it rather immature, but surprisingly engaging.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

eo000

Kayla wanted to read them, so I read them first to see if they were appropriate (book 1 & 2 are fine, 3 is iffy, 4 is a big no).

They aren't a horrible read for the most part.  There were quite a few things I didn't care for in her writing style, and I skipped over 200 pages in the last book, and felt like I didn't miss anything (if you get that far in the books, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about).

Overall, they were mindless, but enjoyable.

Jessie

BD,  you take your dog to the chiropractor?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: eo000 on November 25, 2008, 08:04:10 AM
Kayla wanted to read them, so I read them first to see if they were appropriate (book 1 & 2 are fine, 3 is iffy, 4 is a big no).

They aren't a horrible read for the most part.  There were quite a few things I didn't care for in her writing style, and I skipped over 200 pages in the last book, and felt like I didn't miss anything (if you get that far in the books, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about).

You're such a good dad.  You get plus a hundred bonus awesome points.

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 25, 2008, 10:05:39 AM

I was thinking the same thing.  Good dad, indeed.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on November 25, 2008, 10:13:52 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 25, 2008, 10:05:39 AM

I was thinking the same thing.  Good dad, indeed.

whatever, he totally wanted an excuse to read them himself

BigDun

Quote from: Jessie on November 25, 2008, 09:13:40 AM
BD,  you take your dog to the chiropractor?

Actually our vet does chiropratic techniques to help with her arthritis. So, no, I don't take her to the chiropractor. I take her to the vet once a week for an injection and for the doctor to run this thumper thing down her spine a few times.

Mr. Ubiquity

I havent seen the movie or read the book, but from what people have told me about both, you hit the nail on the head.  And with that, its exactly why Hollywood made it into a movie. 
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

dazie

I picked up a used copy for Kate yesterday.  The guy at the store said they rarely get them in, and when they do, they don't stay for more than a few hours.

I figure paying $7 for it is worth it- she's dying to read it.  So, even if I think it's lame, the fact that she WANTS to read is enough for me.

VikingJuice

The girls at my school, and even some female teachers, have been buzzing about this book series for over a month now.  It's been amusing to say the least.

BigDun

We're going to listen to the entire series on our drive to Memphis for Christmas.

dazie

K- I'm about halfway through.  I started reading it so I could see if Kate would be ok with it and I think she will be.  I actually think she might get bored with it though.

It has charm, I can see why it's so popular- handsome, irresistible, dangerous boy picks oddball outcast to be his true love...  what girl who ever felt outside the "in" crowd didn't wish for something like that?

eo000

Quote from: dazie on December 09, 2008, 08:43:46 AM
K- I'm about halfway through.  I started reading it so I could see if Kate would be ok with it and I think she will be.  I actually think she might get bored with it though.

It has charm, I can see why it's so popular- handsome, irresistible, dangerous boy picks oddball outcast to be his true love...  what girl who ever felt outside the "in" crowd didn't wish for something like that?
the first three hundred or so pages do drag, but it gets a lot better after that.

meredith

The girl in the book is an obvious Mary Sue, so kids really go for it.  It may be frowned upon when writing for adults, but kids and teenagers eat that stuff up.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: hatt on December 09, 2008, 10:53:26 AM
The girl in the book is an obvious Mary Sue, so kids really go for it.  It may be frowned upon when writing for adults, but kids and teenagers eat that stuff up.
I'd never heard the term "Mary Sue" before, so I looked it up.  You, my dear hatt, are far geekier than I ever imagined.  *smooch*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

meredith

it's a common term in internet armchair literary criticism.

just kidding, everyone called my character a mary sue when i wrote a fic where i'm clumsy and cute and fall in love with mal reynolds from firefly

Jessie

Poor Wil Wheaton can't catch a break.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on December 09, 2008, 12:37:40 PM
Poor Wil Wheaton can't catch a break.
I heard he once was lucky enough to IM with a certain redhead, so he has that going for him.

Jessie

Hatt, do you have a new name on TF?

Va jay jay [TotalFark]    Quote    2008-12-09 11:08:07 AM    
Yes. She is one of the best examples of a Mary Sue within modern literature.

meredith

nope, only cowards use pseudonyms!  i killed my TF back in march too, i think.

dazie

Finished it.  It was ok. 

Jessie

Timothy said he wants to read them now, to see what all the fuss is about.

From everything I've read, I feel like I need to talk to him about how women don't always need to be saved.  I hear there's a lot of misogyny, largely because the author is a Mormon or something.

dazie

Well, the female lead tends to be clumsy and gets herself into situations where she can get hurt.

The male lead also manages to put her into situations where she can get hurt, simply because, well- he's a vampire and vampires have a thing for you know- sucking the blood of the living.  *shrug*

It isn't so much that it's misogynistic, she's pretty independent, but there are some situations where she does need him to save her.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Jessie on December 10, 2008, 08:46:29 AM
Timothy said he wants to read them now, to see what all the fuss is about.

From everything I've read, I feel like I need to talk to him about how women don't always need to be saved.  I hear there's a lot of misogyny, largely because the author is a Mormon or something.

You want me to talk to him so you don't have to face that?