News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

25 years after The Day After

Started by dazie, November 16, 2008, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

meredith

i watched it with youph after beefy mentioned it at some point.  it's uh .. "accurate"

dazie

It was shown to my 10th grade social studies class.  We had the option to "opt out" so I did.  I said it was because it looked scary, but I think really I just didn't want to go to class that day.

Beefy

I don't care how cheesy it is by today's standards, it was very effective then and still has merit now.

VikingJuice

Yeah, it does still hit it's desired target pretty well.  I just watched about half of it again a month or so ago.

Gamplayerx

We were supposed to watch it for some class, but for some reason, I didn't.

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 17, 2008, 10:55:36 AM

10th grade social studies.  Did you go to the library instead?  I went to the library.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on November 17, 2008, 11:10:52 AM

10th grade social studies.  Did you go to the library instead?  I went to the library.
We didn't have social studies, I don't know what class it was for.  Civics maybe?  Although that doesn't really make sense.  Anyway, it wasn't shown in school. We were supposed to watch it on tv.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 17, 2008, 11:21:06 AM

We didn't have social studies, I don't know what class it was for.  Civics maybe?  Although that doesn't really make sense.  Anyway, it wasn't shown in school. We were supposed to watch it on tv.

Didn't you have Socrates for Homeroom?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 17, 2008, 09:20:35 PM

Is that a crack at me being old?

The school probably had social studies classes, but I didn't take them.  10th grade I took English, Calculus, Anatomy & Physiology, Law, Civics, Psychology and French.

Yes.  We had English -- most people had converted from the ancient Greek by then.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 17, 2008, 10:45:11 PM

The school probably had social studies classes, but I didn't take them.  10th grade I took English, Calculus, Anatomy & Physiology, Law, Civics, Psychology and French.

Yes.  We had English -- most people had converted from the ancient Greek by then.

Awesome!!  Yeah, I was taking a quick jab, only in fun though.

You took Calc in 10th grade?  Damn.  I thought I did well to take it in 12th-which was the first grade it was available when I was in school.

What state did you grow up in?

BigDun

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 17, 2008, 11:44:49 PM

You took Calc in 10th grade?  Damn.  I thought I did well to take it in 12th-which was the first grade it was available when I was in school.

She grew up in the state of denial.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Alice

Gamplayerx

Maryland.

I had skipped third grade -- or, actually, I skipped third level.  At my elementary school, you didn't skip grades.  So, by sixth grade, I had completed all of the curriculum there was available and they brought over text books from the junior high for me.  There were 6 of us in the school who had skipped a level along the way, so we pretty much did independent study and little group projects.  The upshot is by the end of sixth grade, I'd finished through ninth.  Then went to junior high and just did some honors classes.  Then in high school, I did mostly the senior year honor stuff my freshman and sophomore years and then goofed off for the last two.

Literally.  I had passes to get out of study hall and go to the teacher's lounge.  On Mondays, I skipped school all together and swam with retarded children and young adults at the Y.  Every day I left at 11:00 and student taught at a nearby elementary.  And for the rest of my classes, I took stuff like typing (took that one pass/fail -- I passed!), psychology, ceramics, film and English.  They kept making me take English.

College was a shock to the system.

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 18, 2008, 09:42:51 AM

... I had passes to get out of study hall and go to the teacher's lounge.  ...

I bet this where you started smoking.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on November 18, 2008, 06:35:14 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 18, 2008, 09:42:51 AM

... I had passes to get out of study hall and go to the teacher's lounge.  ...

I bet this where you started smoking.
You'd lose that bet, buddy.  :)

Jessie

I bet it was in college.  Gamp's not the young smoker type.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Don't look at me.  I didn't smoke until after we roomed, and to the best of my knowledge, I never encouraged anyone else to do so.

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on November 18, 2008, 10:14:57 PM
Don't look at me.  I didn't smoke until after we roomed, and to the best of my knowledge, I never encouraged anyone else to do so.

Wait, back up, you and Gamp roomed together?  In college or somewhere afterwards?

dazie

Yup.  For what?  A few weeks, freshman year.  We got to Penn State and there was no room at the inn- they'd overbooked.  So Gamp, April, Saunie and I got to live in a study lounge for a while until rooms came available. 

We were lucky- some people lived in study lounges for the whole year.

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on November 18, 2008, 11:35:55 PM
Yup.  For what?  A few weeks, freshman year.  We got to Penn State and there was no room at the inn- they'd overbooked.  So Gamp, April, Saunie and I got to live in a study lounge for a while until rooms came available. 

So which of you ended up here at Junto first and invited the other?  Or did you arrive in different ways?

dazie

Quote from: VikingJuice on November 18, 2008, 11:37:50 PM

Or did you arrive in different ways?

This.  She's a Farker, I'm a friend of DC's IRL.  When Sniz started the Clubhouse, DC invited me, and I'm not sure how Gamp got involved.

Jessie

VJ, in the CH two of the women had gone to elementary school together, and didn't realize it for quite some time.

It's a small world, and all that jazz.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on November 19, 2008, 07:27:02 AM

This.  She's a Farker, I'm a friend of DC's IRL.  When Sniz started the Clubhouse, DC invited me, and I'm not sure how Gamp got involved.
Sniz dragged me along from Fark to Orkut to the Clubhouse.  DC is the one that actually figured the Gamp/Dazie connection.  When he set up the chat room, he used to actually chat and he started asking me very pointed questions about college and my roommates, etc.  Actually, one of the questions he asked me was April's name.  I said, "April" and he said, "Yep. That's right."  I was like, "Um.  I KNOW it's right.  Why do you?"  And TA DA!  Dazie!

I started smoking casually the summer after high school in clubs.  Mostly as self-defense against the other smokers.  When I got to Penn State, the second my mom left, I went across the street to McLanahan's Universe (if we don't got it, you don't need it) and bought a pack of cigarettes.  $1.10 I recall.

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 19, 2008, 09:32:52 AM
Quote from: dazie on November 19, 2008, 07:27:02 AM

Sniz dragged me along from Fark to Orkut to the Clubhouse.  DC is the one that actually figured the Gamp/Dazie connection.  When he set up the chat room, he used to actually chat and he started asking me very pointed questions about college and my roommates, etc.  Actually, one of the questions he asked me was April's name.  I said, "April" and he said, "Yep. That's right."  I was like, "Um.  I KNOW it's right.  Why do you?"  And TA DA!  Dazie!

I started smoking casually the summer after high school in clubs.  Mostly as self-defense against the other smokers.  When I got to Penn State, the second my mom left, I went across the street to McLanahan's Universe (if we don't got it, you don't need it) and bought a pack of cigarettes.  $1.10 I recall.
What do I win for knowing you didn't smoke til after high school?  I want a prize!!