News:

40,000th post goes to Gamp!  Happy birthday!

Main Menu

New David Sedaris from this week's New Yorker

Started by ignom, June 09, 2005, 09:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Jessie

That was great.

I love him so much.

I love reading his stories and I can hear his voice in my head.  I can imagine his inflection and pauses and just...everything.

I think he's brilliant.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

That looks funny - but long.  Remind me to read this later.

cnamon

I have never read any of his stuff, so I think I will grab the New Yorker out of the office and read it on the train tomorrow.

Jessie

nishi

Quote from: Jessie on June 09, 2005, 09:46:11 AM
I missed seeing him Monday.

Crap.

we were a bit.... overloaded on monday. or at least *i* was.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

Quote from: nishi on June 09, 2005, 10:37:13 AM
Quote from: Jessie on June 09, 2005, 09:46:11 AM
I missed seeing him Monday.

Crap.

we were a bit.... overloaded on monday. or at least *i* was.

Yeah.  And tired. 

nishi

i love the new yorker so much, but then feel guilty as the unread issues pile up.....

however, a quick search revealed this site for folks who like magazines and want to find a good deal:

http://www.magazinepricesearch.com/index.html

through that site, i found the new yorker for $19.95 a year - as opposed to $42 through the new yorker site.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

Wired is my favorite magazine.  You can get it through that site for $3.60 for a whole year.  Wow.

nishi

i have to say that that site's bargain finding abilities really knocked my socks off. unfortunately, since i love magazines, that could be a dangerous thing.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nallen

I really tried to read that, but it was too long.  I'm not much of a reader (the whole dyslexia thing) so could someone please explain why I hear so much gushing about Sedaris on NPR and what not?  Everything I have ever attempted to read of his has just lost my interest in a hurry... I honestly just don't get it.
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

Jessie

Quote from: nallen on June 09, 2005, 02:37:40 PM
I really tired to read that, but it was too long.  I'm not much of a reader (the whole dyslexia thing) so could someone please explain why I hear so much gushing about Sedaris on NPR and what not?  Everything I have ever attempted to read of his has just lost my interest in a hurry... I honestly just don't get it.

I have some of his audio stuff that ignom made me copies of.  Would you want to listen?  He's hilarious.  I think that I enjoy him more having heard his live stuff first, because I can imagine him saying it.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

he has a very unique style of delivery when you hear him that is not as obvious in his written stuff.

i first heard him on This American Life:

http://www.thislife.org/

if you go to their site, all their archives are available for your free listening pleasure.

look to the nav bar on the left and go to "Our Favorites". You'll see "Music Lessons", which is a live reading with david sedaris, sarah vowell and anne lamott. his most well-known piece is Santaland Diaries - if you've ever listened to NPR on christmas, you've probably heard part of it.

you can also do a general search of the site and turn up several things of his, including Americans in Paris. i highly recommend his reading in the show called "Detectives".
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Jessie

I like the Live from Carnegie Hall (sic?) that igs gave me.  It's so freakin hilarious.

I'll make copies if anyone wants to hear it, or better yet, I'll attempt to rip it and dump it.

BigDun

I've posted the title story from David's first book in the dump.

I wanted to post one of the funniest stories of his from Dress Your Family in Corduroy but I can't find the damn CD.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

I love him.

I especially love Santa and 6 to 8 black men.  That story is hilarious.