News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

Iron Giant

Started by dazie, September 27, 2008, 01:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129167/

My god what a great movie.  Brad Bird really knows his stuff. 

Kate put it on today, and I caught the end of it just now and once again, sobbed like a fool. 

She doesn't understand why Ursus and I get so worked up at the end, which kind of makes me happy.  She never had the "duck and cover" drills or worried about the Russians coming to kill her.

(yes- I understand that there are still "bad guys" out there, and she has her own set of boogeymen to deal with, but in regards to this particular movie, she really has no frame of reference.)

The music's great too, btw.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

I just bought this movie the other day, it was on sale at the grocery store for $4. 

Gamplayerx

I've never seen it, but ... you had duck and cover drills?!?

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on September 27, 2008, 02:47:08 PM
We had duck and cover drills... but for tornadoes.

Beefy

Love that movie so much.

manosax

We were the next town over from one of the national labs and my dad is a scientist and had friends that worked at the lab.  I knew from an early age that we were within the blast zone of a major target so we would have been vaporized instantly...kind of calming in a weird kind of way. 

Loved the movie!  Own the movie! want to watch it again!

VikingJuice

I watched it years ago on Beef's recommendation and just loved it.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: manosax on September 27, 2008, 03:03:09 PM

We were the next town over from one of the national labs and my dad is a scientist and had friends that worked at the lab.  I knew from an early age that we were within the blast zone of a major target so we would have been vaporized instantly...kind of calming in a weird kind of way. 
What does next town over from one of the national labs mean?

manosax

Quote from: Gamplayerx on September 27, 2008, 09:26:02 PM
Quote from: manosax on September 27, 2008, 03:03:09 PM

What does next town over from one of the national labs mean?

I grew up in Pleasanton CA, which is next to Livermore CA which is the home of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) aka: Rad Lab, The Lab.  Much of the design of nuclear weapons happened there.  We all knew that they didn't make them there they just designed them there.  There is also Sandia Labs which handled more of the manufacture.  We were known to be a primary taget of any Soviet first strike and I lived within 8 miles of the lab.  If there was a nuclear attack, I would have been vaproized instantly and without pain.  Kinda calming in a bizarre way.

Gamplayerx