News:

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to write "The Last DJ" and then do a Pepsi Budweiser Sobe Depends Claritin Prozac GoDaddy StateFarm Coca-Cola Coors Vitamin Water Attends Allegra Xanax 1-800-Safe-auto RC Cola Miller Gatorade Huggies Robotussin Morphine Halftime Show.

Main Menu

Adobe Acrobat 7.0

Started by Alice, September 15, 2008, 12:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I use Adobe Acrobat at work constantly.  I have to add in my updated forms into current PDFs.  The problem is, I have to add them in one at a time, because when I try to insert more than one at a time, they get put in random orders.

The files are "Appendix A", "Appendix B", etc... so I'd assume it would put them in alphabetical order, but it doesn't.  Usually it goes: B, A, C, D.  Any idea why?

Jessie

There are demons in your computer.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

meredith

I don't often play with commercial software so I've got little clue about the behavior of Acrobat itself, just that maybe the file selection window may not return your selection to acrobat in alphabetical order.  Sometimes it uses "click order" but it gets confused about the click order if you shift-click or shift-ctrl-click for group selections. 

Are you pretty much merging PDF documents here?  You might see if using something like pdfmerge would be more efficient for your process.  (Even if the GUI doesn't let you multi-select and get everything added in order in one step, I could quickly write a .cmd script to do it for you.)

Alice

I tried doing it in click order too.  It's just all shades of retarded.

I can't use any programs we don't already have, but thank you.

Dry then Catch

question, are you using Acrobat professional? 

Alice

Dry then Catch

and you have used the append function?

Alice

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dots

If this can wait until I get to work in about an hour and a half, send me an email and I can try to walk you through it.

I think I may have a solution.
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Dry then Catch

I mean the insert pages function.  (not append).  Just insert one set of pages using "AFTER"

Dry then Catch

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 19, 2008, 11:55:45 AM
I mean the insert pages function.  (not append).  Just insert one set of pages using "AFTER"
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.  But I have to do that for each appendix.  Insert A, then scroll to the bottom of A.  Insert B, then scroll to the bottom of B.  So on and so forth.

I tried inserting, selecting all appendices and then inserting - but it puts them in a random order.

Alice

Quote from: dots on September 19, 2008, 09:36:07 AM
If this can wait until I get to work in about an hour and a half, send me an email and I can try to walk you through it.

I think I may have a solution.

Thanks, I'll try and remember to shoot you an email when I get back to work.  You may have to go through a signup thing to get emails from me at work, is that okay?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on September 19, 2008, 12:09:05 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.  But I have to do that for each appendix.  Insert A, then scroll to the bottom of A.  Insert B, then scroll to the bottom of B.  So on and so forth.

I tried inserting, selecting all appendices and then inserting - but it puts them in a random order.

after you insert appendix A, trying saving the document right away (under a different name).
close acrobat and re-open it and insert appendix B

Bennyhana

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 19, 2008, 12:30:39 PM

after you insert appendix A, trying saving the document right away (under a different name).
I think that she's saying she doesn't want to do them one at a time.

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on September 19, 2008, 03:58:38 PM

Yeah, thank you.  I guess I didn't make that clear.

I don't want to do them one at a time because it takes for friggin ever.  I'd rather do them all at once.

eo000

why not just do them one at a time?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: eo000 on September 19, 2008, 06:16:08 PM
why not just do them one at a time?

yeah e0 and I do it one at a time

what are we talking about again

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on September 19, 2008, 05:02:08 PM

I don't want to do them one at a time because it takes for friggin ever.  I'd rather do them all at once.
I'd think that you could have had it done by now.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on September 19, 2008, 07:57:49 PM

This is a regular part of my job, brat.

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on September 19, 2008, 08:43:17 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on September 19, 2008, 07:57:49 PM

This is a regular part of my job, brat.
Oh.  :D
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

I haven't done that for a while - I do it one at a time with eo and catchr. 

But I think it adds them by date order when you pick a lot of them.