News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

Blackberry data plans

Started by Jessie, May 28, 2008, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

Do any of you use a Blackberry? 

I just changed over to AT&T (they bought my provider - Cellular One) and because of some goofups on their end, I'm getting a free Blackberry 8800 for my phone.  I know it has lots of use outside of email/internet, so it'll be a good phone even without a data plan, but I still think I might get one.

If you have one, which one is it, what do you usually use it for, and how much data do you typically use in a month?

They have a personal plan for $30, and it's for 4MB/month.  Is that enough for emailing and whatnot? 

I have no idea.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Jessie

Scratch that, the plan is $35/month for Blackberry Enterprise.

I'm not sure how that differs from the $30 Blackberry Personal.  Does that mean I can use it all I want as long as I don't use my work email address?

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/popup/dataconnect-comp-table.jsp

Help me understand this!

Infobahn

I have the BB 8800, great phone.  No camera, though.  I can't explain the billing.  I know that I use more than 4mb in data in a month, but I get all of my work e-mail sent through it, and I am at about 50 mb per month.  You can always bump the plan up if needed, so I think you should be okay at 4mb.

Jessie

Thanks.  I should have a new job title by the end of the week, and might be able to weasel them into paying a data plan for me.

I don't know that I need it for work or for pleasure, but I kind of just want it because I like gadgets. 

Dry then Catch

no i'm not cool or important.   I just use a tomato soup can with a string.  that i keep attached to part of e0

eo000

Dry then Catch

Beefy

I'm so glad I don't have one of those things.

Yes, I'm talking about eo's wang bone.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on May 28, 2008, 03:10:08 PM
I'm so glad I don't have one of those things.

Yes, I'm talking about eo's wang bone.

seems like it would have been perfect to plug up the hole in your stomach. 

meredith

I'm surprised there are still metered plans.  I would ask an AT&T rep but it looks like BB Personal($30) is unlimited.

Blackberry has a special design where if you tie it into work email, your office needs a special server that pushes e-mails down to your device.  The enterprise plan is meant for people doing that, and that functionality, "push e-mail from a Blackberry Enterprise Server" is what you will miss out on if you don't have an enterprise plan.

Gamplayerx

I can't get enough wang bone.

Everybody I know who has a blackberry uses it for work.  And it seems to have the added drawback of then making them ALWAYS at work. 

grace

i never want to be THAT connected or meshed...similar to having the portions on my dinner plate mixed.

ReBurn

I use a BlackBerry. My company pays for it. They pay $84.99 per month for unlimited voice and data and they run BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

What I love about it is that I have GoogleTalk and Gmail apps installed on it. That way I have access to my personal stuff. The email account it points to is my work email, and if any of you want the phone number I would be more than happy to provide that to you.

I will warn you. They don't call them CrackBerry for nothing.

Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 28, 2008, 07:18:57 PM
Everybody I know who has a blackberry uses it for work.  And it seems to have the added drawback of then making them ALWAYS at work. 
That's why I have one.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

This thing's a lot of fun, even without a data plan (yet - I think work's gonna pay for one)

Jessie

What fun, useful, and hopefully free apps do you use on your blackberry?

meredith

i assume blackberry supports java well -
point your phone to http://m.google.com/ and hit the download links for Google Maps and GMail

Jessie

Quote from: hatt on June 19, 2008, 11:14:18 AM
point your phone to http://m.google.com/ and hit the download links for Google Maps and GMail
That's my plan.  My phone has gps, and with google maps I can have in car navigation.

meredith

Quote from: Jessie on June 19, 2008, 01:02:10 PM
Quote from: hatt on June 19, 2008, 11:14:18 AM
That's my plan.  My phone has gps, and with google maps I can have in car navigation.

It's nice, but not nearly as robust as a dedicated GPS unit.  For something that is more powerful, but also less user-friendly than google maps, there is a project called "Mobile GMaps".   It was started before google released their own version.

I don't think either does the automatic step-by-step directions that you see in real GPS units, though.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on June 19, 2008, 07:35:27 AM
What fun, useful, and hopefully free apps do you use on your blackberry?
Gmail and Google Talk.

Incidentally, a Blackberry makes a decent wireless modem, too. I was in need of internet connectivity and I didn't have any. So I used my Blackberry. It ran at 112.5 kbps, which isn't the fastest. But it got the job done.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!