News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

Grilled Plums in Merlot Sauce

Started by Bishamonten, May 14, 2005, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

This comes from BBQU( a show on the food network ).  I tried to make it last week, with peaches instead of plums due to the season, but ended up without a working grill.  Gave it another try this weekend and it came out pretty tasty.

Halve the plums and remove the stone, then quarter them.
Cut some lemon rhind from a fresh lemon and slice a small slit through the middle
Using a skewer( I used a chop stick ) pre-cut a hole through the middle of the quartered plums. 
Add the lemon rhind to the cinammon skewer and then add another quartered plum. 
Do this for all remaining plum pieces, two to a stick.

The Merlot Sauce:
1 Cup of Merlot
1/2 Cup Sugar
Lemon Rhind
Whole Cloves
Cinnamon sticks.
Slurree( Corn Starch + Lemon Juice )

Add the Merlot to a pan and let simmer before adding the sugar and mix until dissolved.
Slice tiny slits in the lemon rhind and press a clove through the slit.  Add these to the wine with the cinnamon.
Let this come to a simmer while you make the Sluree, which you make seperately before adding to the wine. 
Mix some lemon juice( I used the juice from 2 lemons ) and about 2 or 2.5 table spoons of Corn Starch.  Stir until it resembles thick cream.
Slow whisk the mix into the wine until evenly mixed and let come to a rolling boil .  This will thicken the sauce.

Once thickened, place the plums on the grill and brush the sauce on liberally.  Leave the rest of the sauce to dip the plums in as they are eaten.  You'll know the plums are done when they are squeezy, like charmin.

I actually had to do this with Peaches and my peaches weren't fully ripe which resulted in a little chewyness.  But once they were grilled nicely, you take them off the grill, and serve.  Eat by slicing off chunks and dipping into the remaining merlot sauce. 

meredith

Sounds nummy.  Glad you got more propane.

dazie

That sounds really good except I don't like Merlot.   :-\  I wonder if you could make it with something else?  (Other than wine- to be specific I don't like wine)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Bishamonten

Quote from: dazie on May 15, 2005, 10:36:09 PM
That sounds really good except I don't like Merlot.   :-\  I wonder if you could make it with something else?  (Other than wine- to be specific I don't like wine)

It doesn't taste like wine really.  The sugar really cuts that acidity and the cinnamon, cloves and lemon rhind give it a great taste.