News:

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill.

Main Menu

Wireless Router Questions

Started by Alice, April 21, 2008, 08:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Sorry, I'm retarded when it comes to this stuff.  I need a wireless router so both Chip and I can access the internet at the same time.

Is this any good?  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1618852&CatId=373

And do these have to be plugged into a desktop in order to get it to work?  Or can I just plug it into the box that Comcast gave me that the internet comes through and it'll work without having to be plugged into a computer constantly?

Alice

What about this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156038

It would be $7.50 after the rebate.  I really just need something cheap for now - and the wireless connection only has to go about 20 feet at most.

Gamplayerx

Wish I knew.  I'm curious about the answer to the whether it needs a desktop question myself.

Jessie

I think it needs to be wired to something while you set it up, but then it can be all wireless.  I could be wrong about that, though.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

I talked to my supervisor, she said that it doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer.

I got the router.  I figure, if it sucks, I'm only out $7.50.  If it doesn't suck, then hooray!  I got what I need for $7.50.

BigDun

That looks like it would work. No, you don't need to hook it up to a desktop (except perhaps to configure it). Just plug it into your Comcast box and scan for the SSID it broadcasts. Mind you, I would recomend that you change the SSID from the default to something only you and Chip know, and then turn off the broadcast. Otherwise anyone can (and will) connect to it.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

meredith

Yeah, you'll most likely need to plug into it to get the initial setup. It does work independently of a desktop system. You can hide the cable modem and router in a corner somewhere.  You do want to change the network name/SSID/ESSID (i suggest "bruce" <3), but I wouldn't turn off any broadcast options, if it has any, because windows will lose its shit if it's not sure the network is there.  You definitely want to set up one of the encryption options. WEP or WPA shared key.  You'll have to copy a long hexadecimal number to both systems, or use some sort of setup function, but that is an added layer of security.  Most routers offer MAC filtering, where you tell it to listen to only your known systems. I would recommend setting that up, and I can help you with it. But that'll be in the evening.

meredith

oh, you're mail ordering anyway, nevermind :)

i can help out with anything. i'd say to IM but your connection may be down at that point.

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

meredith

Quote from: dazie on April 21, 2008, 11:52:16 AM
Quote from: hatt on April 21, 2008, 11:47:22 AM
I'm about to have one of those sad plane flights home.

??

posting to distract myself from the subject, plus plane is about to board.  i'll talk later :)

Jessie

Quote from: hatt on April 21, 2008, 11:59:07 AM
Quote from: dazie on April 21, 2008, 11:52:16 AM
Quote from: hatt on April 21, 2008, 11:47:22 AM
I'm about to have one of those sad plane flights home.

??

posting to distract myself from the subject, plus plane is about to board.  i'll talk later :)
**hugs** for whatever the problem is. 

Gamplayerx

Alice

Thanks Hatt!

Be safe, and big hugs.

DownSouth

I hooked up our Comcast wireless at the beach this week and didn't need to have any of the computers hooked up.  We ran 3 off of it all week with no problem except when my nephew hit the wireless switch on the front of my laptop.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

meredith

You know, I was told "fly safe" this morning.  I held up my finger, opened my mouth, paused, and said "I'll tell the pilot."

Thanks for the warm thoughts. :) It wasn't a problem so much as a parting.  Yes, I am a pussy.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: hatt on April 21, 2008, 06:38:47 PM
You know, I was told "fly safe" this morning.  I held up my finger, opened my mouth, paused, and said "I'll tell the pilot."

Thanks for the warm thoughts. :) It wasn't a problem so much as a parting.  Yes, I am a pussy.

get over it you weeping vag or would like to borrow some of alice's douche

DownSouth

Where were you?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

Quote from: DownSouth on April 22, 2008, 01:13:45 PM

Where were you?

He was on a plane.  Do try and keep up.

meredith

I was in LA, a little south of the city itself.

DownSouth

meredith

Jessie

Alice

DownSouth

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?