News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

rock band

Started by nishi, January 21, 2008, 11:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

i must have it.

the guitar and bass are guitar hero-y. the drums are terrifying - thank god the other people in your band can save you and bring you back into the game.

i haven't tried singing yet.

you know what's shockingly fun to play on rock band? molly hatchet's "flirtin' with disaster".

go figure.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ReBurn

Yep. One of these days I'm gonna swallow the cost and buy the thing. I've played it and it's crazy fun.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

nishi

it's game crack. we played for 8 hours straight the other day.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

didn't you say that your new workplace has guitar hero tournaments every friday? i want to set something like that up at school, but haven't quite figured out how to "tournament" it.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

Carroll got it for christmas and he's addicted to drumming.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

We played it for New Year's Eve...about 7 hours worth.  Man it's addictive.  And the part I thought I'd be most self-conscious about, the vocals, have become my favorite part because I score so well even without much actual ability.

I ended up singing Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi and Say It Ain't So by Weezer about 5 times each as we tried to unlock new songs.

Dry then Catch

i dunno nishi, do you feel that you as a bonafide member of a real rock band that this game is sort of patronizing? 

Bennyhana

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on January 22, 2008, 05:00:28 PM
i dunno nishi, do you feel that you as a bonafide member of a real rock band that this game is sort of patronizing? 

There seems to be two schools of thought on this:  One school says that I, as a person who has been playing guitar for many years, hate guitar hero because it trivializes something I've worked hard for, and I suck at it because it's not a simulation of playing guitar.  The other says that Nishi, as a member of a real rock band, can let go and enjoy the game for what it is: A video game.

I'm a member of the former school.

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on January 22, 2008, 05:05:24 PM
One school says that I, as a person who has been playing guitar for many years, hate guitar hero because it trivializes something I've worked hard for, and I suck at it because it's not a simulation of playing guitar.

That's like saying HALO trivializes Marines.  Or that Dance Dance Revolution trivializes professional dancers.  Or that the Mario Bros trivializes plumbers.  It's not true... it's just a fun game.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Alice on January 22, 2008, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on January 22, 2008, 05:05:24 PM
One school says that I, as a person who has been playing guitar for many years, hate guitar hero because it trivializes something I've worked hard for, and I suck at it because it's not a simulation of playing guitar.

That's like saying HALO trivializes Marines.  Or that Dance Dance Revolution trivializes professional dancers.  Or that the Mario Bros trivializes plumbers.  It's not true... it's just a fun game.

Mario Brothers games do trivialize plumbers.  In 22 years of interacting with those guys, I have never ONCE seen them fit pipes or unclog a drain.  They don't even have wrenches or torches or bottles of PVC glue.

Also, I acknowledged the irrationality of my statement already.

Alice

Quote from: Bennyhana on January 22, 2008, 06:01:45 PM
Mario Brothers games do trivialize plumbers.  In 22 years of interacting with those guys, I have never ONCE seen them fit pipes or unclog a drain.  They don't even have wrenches or torches or bottles of PVC glue.

Also, I acknowledged the irrationality of my statement already.

Sorry, too much time on TF.  :)

And I'm also sorry, but your tabs are in another castle.

meredith

i played for the first time on friday, after putting off invites for a couple months.  i didn't even try drums, and my guitar and bass are half-assed as usual, but i did well with vocals.  i don't think he expected that it's what i planned to do anyway.  singing has a sharper curve for doing well when you don't already know the song.  knowing the tune is good enough, at least, but it's not as simple as reading off the screen like guitar or drums.

so the songs i knew, i did well on. i did well on some i didn't know, but miserably on others. (there was an iron maiden track and i honestly didn't even know what range the vocals would be in. that may have been the first time i've actually heard them.)