News:

I know Karate! ...and several other Japanese words

Main Menu

My first shot at lasagna from scratch

Started by Jessie, December 03, 2007, 09:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

I made a really tasty lasagna this weekend for my company.  I've made lasagna before, but I always just use Ragu or something.  This time I made sauce and all. 

Sauce:

2 lbs ground chuck, browned
1.5 onions, diced and sauteed (the onions were fairly small)
4 or 5 big cloves of garlic, chopped and sauteed

Dump all of that in a pot with:

2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce

Plus the following, to taste:

garlic powder
onion powder
salt
pepper
basil (lots)
oregano
Italian Seasoning (more of the same, but hey, why not?)
parsley
bay leaf
sugar (just a little)

Simmer for about an hour, adjust seasoning as needed.

I layered that into a 9x13 dish using about 16-20 lasagna noodles, 1.5 lbs of mozzarella, and half a small container of Ricotta mixed with an egg and parmesan.

It was fantastic! 
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Jessie

Oh I forgot 1/4 of a green bell pepper, diced small and sauteed.

Gamplayerx

If you're going to use all those cans of tomatoes and sauce, what's the difference?

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 03, 2007, 10:00:54 AM
If you're going to use all those cans of tomatoes and sauce, what's the difference?
What's the difference in what?  Cans of tomatoes vs Jars of sauce? 

I think there's a big difference, personally.

I mean, I didn't can my own tomatoes, sure, but I'd still consider the sauce homemade.

Gamplayerx

Jessie

So do I, and so did my guests.  My super cute little niece ate two big servings!

They did not love the oatmeal cinnamon muffins that the kids and I made later, though.  I still have about 10 left.

manosax

I once made tomato sauce from tomatoes that i grew... I was impressed with myself that day...

Dry then Catch

Jessie

Quote from: manosax on December 03, 2007, 04:12:11 PM
I once made tomato sauce from tomatoes that i grew... I was impressed with myself that day...
I'd like to do that, but I'd need a big bunch of fresh tomatoes first.  Well, first, I guess I need a yard, then a garden, then tomato plants, then tomatoes.

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on December 03, 2007, 04:13:19 PM
take a picture jessie
You didn't specify what I should take a picture of, so I just winged it.  If you meant the lasagna, I'd have to get some sort of medical device to see what's left of it inside our bodies, because we ate it all.

[attachment deleted by admin]

manosax

Quote from: Jessie on December 03, 2007, 04:13:34 PM
I'd like to do that, but I'd need a big bunch of fresh tomatoes first.  Well, first, I guess I need a yard, then a garden, then tomato plants, then tomatoes.

and you don't live in the best tomato growing part of the world. 

Jessie

Quote from: manosax on December 03, 2007, 04:25:45 PM

My mom grew some good ones this year.  She grew them right where her pig used to live. 

The other day I sauteed some pork chops and onions and garlic and then simmered that with a jar of mom's homegrown tomatoes that she canned.  Holy cow, it was fantastic.

Gamplayerx

What's the best tomato growing part of the world?

Speaking of Jessie's part of the world, I watched an episode of Three Sheets - which is a very funny show - last night that was in Louisville.  Mostly at a place called the Bourbon Bistro or something like that.  The food looked insanely good.  I didn't see any tomatoes.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on December 03, 2007, 04:31:59 PM
The other day I sauteed some pork chops and onions and garlic and then simmered that with a jar of mom's homegrown tomatoes that she canned.  Holy hog, it was fantastic.
FTFY

manosax

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 03, 2007, 04:33:11 PM

Speaking of Jessie's part of the world, I watched an episode of Three Sheets - which is a very funny show - last night that was in Louisville.  Mostly at a place called the Bourbon Bistro or something like that.  The food looked insanely good.  I didn't see any tomatoes.

I live on the edge of the san joaquin valley and they grow just lost of them here.  When I lived in Pleasanton, we would have HUGE crops of them...

Jessie

Never heard of it.  Also, I saw that holy hog joke coming.  Set it right up for someone.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on December 03, 2007, 04:44:54 PM

Never heard of it.  Also, I saw that holy hog joke coming.  Set it right up for someone.
I figured as much.  Didn't want to disappoint.

Never heard of Three Sheets or Bourbon Bistro?  http://www.mojohd.com/mojoseries/threesheets/episodes/view/kentucky

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 03, 2007, 04:47:19 PM
Quote from: Jessie on December 03, 2007, 04:44:54 PM

I figured as much.  Didn't want to disappoint.

Never heard of Three Sheets or Bourbon Bistro?  http://www.mojohd.com/mojoseries/threesheets/episodes/view/kentucky
All of the above.  I bet Carroll has, though.  That's more his neck of the woods.

sapphirehart

there's a tomato farm about a mile from my house

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on December 03, 2007, 04:20:25 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on December 03, 2007, 04:13:19 PM
take a picture jessie
You didn't specify what I should take a picture of, so I just winged it.  If you meant the lasagna, I'd have to get some sort of medical device to see what's left of it inside our bodies, because we ate it all.

awesome, this is totally going into the spank bank.

i don't want Info to murder me out of jealousy.  jessilousy.  no, that just sounds like jessie lousy.