News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

Thanksgiving Dessert

Started by Alice, November 14, 2007, 02:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I said I'd bring a dessert to T-Day this year.  Any ideas?  Needs to be fairly easy and cheap, but good.  And not pie.

Jessie

I made homemade cinnamon muffins the other night, with applesauce in place of the oil.  They were very very yummy and easy. 
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on November 14, 2007, 03:01:13 PM
I made homemade cinnamon muffins the other night, with applesauce in place of the oil.  They were very very yummy and easy. 
Mmmm... my mom made baked apples last night using a little applesauce instead of the butter.  So good.

BigDun

I know an incredibly easy recipe for a torte, but it requires a specific brand of thin chocolate wafer cookies. If I go to the store, I'll make a note of the brand.

Basically you whip up a pint of whipping cream (with enough sugar to make it sweet) and then layer it between the cookies. After you have done the entire stack, you frost them like a cake. After sitting in the fridge overnight, the cookies absorb the moisture from the whipped cream and turn into alternating chocolate sponge layers. It's incredibly easy and cheap. And it tastes like one of those super fancy deserts you get in a restaurant.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

For the record, "ass cake" is a NSFW GIS even with moderate safe search on.

Jessie

Quote from: BigDun on November 14, 2007, 03:05:20 PM
I know an incredibly easy recipe for a torte, but it requires a specific brand of thin chocolate wafer cookies. If I go to the store, I'll make a note of the brand.

Basically you whip up a pint of whipping cream (with enough sugar to make it sweet) and then layer it between the cookies. After you have done the entire stack, you frost them like a cake. After sitting in the fridge overnight, the cookies absorb the moisture from the whipped cream and turn into alternating chocolate sponge layers. It's incredibly easy and cheap. And it tastes like one of those super fancy deserts you get in a restaurant.
I've seen that online!

Alice

dazie

What about something with jello and whipped cream?  I know they're not "hip" but some of them come out really tasty.

or this:

Caramel & Pecan Cheesecake Bars

Ingredients:
50 Nilla Wafers, crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 pkg (8 oz ea.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
3 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp vanilla
4 eggs
24 Kraft caramels, unwrapped
1 Tbsp water
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
2 squares of baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 13 x 9 pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Mix wafer crumbs and butter. Press firmly onto bottom of pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Beat cream cheese and sugar with mixer in large bowl until well blended. Add sour cream, flour and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition just until blended. Pour over crust. Bake appox. 45 min. or until center is almost set.

Cool completely. Place caramels in microwavable bowl and add water. Microwave on high for 1 min. or until caramels are completely melted when stirred. Pour over cheesecake and top with pecans. Melt chocolate as directed on pkg; drizzle over
cheesecake.

Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Use ends of foil to lift cheesecake from pan before cutting into serving pieces. Store any leftovers in refrigerator.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

Yeah, I was thinking something bar-y.

Neither me nor my new uncle like pie.  And that's all we ever have.  So I figured I'd make something awesome for us that the others can share.

Jessie

My favorite dessert ever:

Bits O' Brickle Blonde Brownies
Source: Bits O' Brickle bag

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (6 ounce) bag Bits O' Brickle (almond brickle chips from Heath)

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.

Cream butter with both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat until fluffy. Blend in dry ingredients. Stir in Bits 'O Brickle. Spread evenly in well-greased 9 x 12-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. When cooled, cut into bars.

Makes 3 dozen brownies.

Alice

What do you think about bourbon bread pudding?

BigDun

Alice

Pie is gross.  Or more accurately, pie crust is gross.  I like pie filling.

Dry then Catch

i ate these small potatoes that had butter, garlic and chive sauce and various spices.  It seems simple but it was tasty.

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 14, 2007, 06:23:12 PM
i ate these small potatoes that had butter, garlic and chive sauce and various spices.  It seems simple but it was tasty.
That doesn't seem very desserty.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on November 14, 2007, 06:08:23 PM
You and I should totally share a pie.  I'll eat the crust, you eat the dessicated fruit in goo.

Also, one of my favorite desserts is something I call "chocolate eclair" - you line a pan with graham crackers, layer on some vanilla pudding, then more graham crackers, then more vanilla pudding, then more graham crackers and then you spread melted chocolate chips on it and let it sit overnight in the fridge.  You can serve it with cool whip.  Yum!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 14, 2007, 06:50:18 PM
You and I should totally share a pie.  I'll eat the crust, you eat the dessicated fruit in goo.

Also, one of my favorite desserts is something I call "chocolate eclair" - you line a pan with graham crackers, layer on some vanilla pudding, then more graham crackers, then more vanilla pudding, then more graham crackers and then you spread melted chocolate chips on it and let it sit overnight in the fridge.  You can serve it with cool whip.  Yum!
I've now read BigDun's post (I have him on ignore) and it's sort of the same idea as that, only not exactly.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 14, 2007, 06:50:18 PM

Yeah, but the crushed graham crackers sound a lot like pie crust.

Jessie

Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
And so betwixt the two of them
They licked the platter clean

Jack ate all the lean,
Joan ate all the fat.
The bone they picked it clean,
Then gave it to the cat

Jack Sprat was wheeling,
His wife by the ditch.
The barrow turned over,
And in she did pitch.

Says Jack, "She'll be drowned!"
But Joan did reply,
"I don't think I shall,
For the ditch is quite dry.".

BigDun

These are the cookies and here is a picture of the desert:

Beefy

Quote from: BigDun on November 14, 2007, 08:25:01 PM
These are the cookies and here is a picture of the desert:

My mom used to make that.  Soooo good.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on November 14, 2007, 06:32:35 PM

yeah i have no idea why i mentioned it.  Why not make a trifle?  Those are easy

Alice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 14, 2007, 09:13:15 PM
Quote from: Alice on November 14, 2007, 06:32:35 PM

yeah i have no idea why i mentioned it.  Why not make a trifle?  Those are easy

I don't have a trifle bowl.