News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

Inspired by Jessie and Dazie

Started by Gamplayerx, October 28, 2007, 07:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamplayerx

I finally opened up my new sewing machine today - it still counts as new even though I've had it for over a year since I'd never opened it, right? -  dug up the fabric and pattern I had bought back in like 1995 and started cutting and sewing.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  I'm making a dress with a jacket.  Vogue pattern 2245, in case anyone is interested.  EDIT:  I found a picture of it online  http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1360665 - snazzy, ain't it?  So, the picture of the uber professional in the lower right corner is what I'm making, only it's teal, not white.

I was surprised when I pulled the pattern out of the bag in the attic (the attic is a whole 'nother story - yikes!) that I had purchased a size 12-14-16 pattern.  Then I looked at the size chart.  It's crazy how much sizes have changed in the last 10-20 years.  And because it surprised me so much, I thought I'd share.

SIZE    6     8     10    12   14   16
Bust  30.5 31.5 32.5  34   36  38
Waist  23   24    25   26.5 28  30
Hips   32.5 33.5 34.5  36  38  40

Also, how the hell do I do an easestitch??

Alice

Typically it's a really long stitch that you use to gather the fabric up a little so that you can match up a long edge to a short edge.  It's similar to basting, except you have to gather up the longer piece of fabric a bit.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on October 28, 2007, 07:38:50 PM
Typically it's a really long stitch that you use to gather the fabric up a little so that you can match up a long edge to a short edge.  It's similar to basting, except you have to gather up the longer piece of fabric a bit.
Yeah, but how do I make the sewing machine do it? 

I gave up on trying to make it do basting and just did that by hand.  My pat on the back moment so far has been putting in the zipper.  I've never done that before.  I've barely sewed anything before ever.  As I said, I have no clue what I'm doing -- except having a blast.  I can't wait to see what this thing looks like when I'm done.  I'm almost finished with the dress - just gotta put the sleeves on (hence the easestich question) and hem it. 

Did mention that it's teal?  So very much teal.  Super teal!

Alice

Oh!  I'd set the dial to about 10 or 12 stitches per inch.

Gamplayerx

Jessie

I have no idea how to use a sewing machine but I'd really like to get one and learn.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on October 28, 2007, 07:50:27 PM
I have no idea how to use a sewing machine but I'd really like to get one and learn.
Did you sew Wilma by hand?

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 28, 2007, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: Jessie on October 28, 2007, 07:50:27 PM
Did you sew Wilma by hand?
Sure did.  Twice, since I made it way too short the first time and had to rip out about 2/3 of the stitching.

Gamplayerx

Damnit!  While I figured out the easestitch, I still screwed up one of the sleeves and I don't have a seam ripper and it would take me a gazillion years to rip it out with scissors, so my sewing project is at an end for the evening.  I did try on this masterpiece (just the dress - haven't started the jacket yet) and whoo wee!  It is SEXAY!!  Not.  It's a box shaped sack.  A super teal colored box shaped sack, with one jacked up sleeve.

Beefy

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 28, 2007, 08:48:30 PM
Damnit!  While I figured out the easestitch, I still screwed up one of the sleeves and I don't have a seam ripper and it would take me a gazillion years to rip it out with scissors, so my sewing project is at an end for the evening.  I did try on this masterpiece (just the dress - haven't started the jacket yet) and whoo wee!  It is SEXAY!!  Not.  It's a box shaped sack.  A super teal colored box shaped sack, with one jacked up sleeve.
But it probably looks totally fabulous on you, right?

sapphirehart

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on October 28, 2007, 09:08:06 PM
Um, not so much.  My husband says it has potential, if I take off the screwed up sleeve and fix it, and then hem this thing like 10 inches and put in some darts and perhaps wear it with a belt and dye it black.

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 28, 2007, 09:11:11 PM
Um, not so much.  My husband says it has potential, if I take off the screwed up sleeve and fix it, and then hem this thing like 10 inches and put in some darts and perhaps wear it with a belt and dye it black.
What kind of material is it?  Please say heavy polyester.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: sapphirehart on October 28, 2007, 09:10:59 PM
I demand photographic proof!
I promise to take pictures of it when I finish.  The jacket scares me, it has a lining -- and shoulder pads.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on October 28, 2007, 09:12:01 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 28, 2007, 09:11:11 PM
Um, not so much.  My husband says it has potential, if I take off the screwed up sleeve and fix it, and then hem this thing like 10 inches and put in some darts and perhaps wear it with a belt and dye it black.
What kind of material is it?  Please say heavy polyester.
It's a rayon blend.  $7.59 a yard, so it's really good stuff.

Infobahn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 28, 2007, 09:12:30 PM
I promise to take pictures of it when I finish.  The jacket scares me, it has a lining -- and shoulder pads.
shoulder pads are so 1990s

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Infobahn on October 28, 2007, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 28, 2007, 09:12:30 PM
I promise to take pictures of it when I finish.  The jacket scares me, it has a lining -- and shoulder pads.
shoulder pads are so 1990s
Yeah.  This is from the 90s.  Or course, every single suit jacket I've ever owned has had shoulder pads. 

dazie

You can machine baste if you put the stitch length at like 6.

Can I have your sewing machine when you get tired of it?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dazie

PS- Congrats!  Sewing is a much bigger pain than cooking- you should try THAT next.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

VikingJuice

"Vogue pattern 2245"

Isn't that the pattern this guy used?

[attachment deleted by admin]

manosax

Quote from: The Dude(VJ) on October 29, 2007, 01:19:24 AM
"Vogue pattern 2245"

"waaaaiiit.. was she a big fat person?"

Alice

Quote from: dazie on October 28, 2007, 09:24:20 PM
You can machine baste if you put the stitch length at like 6.
Yeah, but for easestitching you need to make it longer than that, otherwise the gathering gets weird and difficult.

ReBurn

Sewing? Next thing you know she'll be cooking.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

VikingJuice

Quote from: manosax on October 29, 2007, 02:09:30 AM
Quote from: The Dude(VJ) on October 29, 2007, 01:19:24 AM
"Vogue pattern 2245"

"waaaaiiit.. was she a big fat person?"

<<chuckles!>>  I was going to say that but was trying not to offend.  Way to read my mind though!!