News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

External Hard Drive

Started by dots, July 11, 2007, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dots

My computer is telling my that I take too many fucking photos (I have really big files) and I now realize that I need an external hard drive solely for them.

Which ones do you prefer?  I am going to Best Buy to get it, I suppose...cause I need it ASAP.

I am a Mac user, if that makes any difference.
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Bennyhana

Quote from: dots on July 11, 2007, 07:06:07 PM
My computer is telling my that I take too many fucking photos (I have really big files) and I now realize that I need an external hard drive solely for them.

Which ones do you prefer?  I am going to Best Buy to get it, I suppose...cause I need it ASAP.

I am a Mac user, if that makes any difference.

We recently had problems with our LaCie external drive, but that might've been more of a problem with the kids kicking the plug out of the wall. 

Also, if you have an older mac that does not have USB 2.0, you'll want to make sure the drive has firewire.  Because USB 1.1 is slow when you're trying to move large amounts of data.

dots

I have a MacBook.  I just got it about 2 months ago. 

BigDun

I have found that Li Cie charges a a premium for the brand name. We have 2 280GB and 1 170GB Maxtor drives that have been working for several years without any problems. They all support FireWire so should be Mac compatible.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Bennyhana

Quote from: dots on July 11, 2007, 07:38:00 PM
I have a MacBook.  I just got it about 2 months ago. 

Then get one that does both, compare relative transfer rates, and report back to us.  :)

ReBurn

I have one of these that's pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3500601XS-RK-500GB-eSATA-External/dp/B000FOL7Q2

I don't know if it works for a mac or not.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Infobahn

Iomega had a 1tb drive for $430

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dots

I ended up deleting a bunch of crap and haven't purchased one yet.  Soon, though.

I have another issue ahead that I need help with...

VikingJuice

I picked up an external about a year ago from Fry's.  I got it on sale for about $120 and it holds 250 Gigs.  I've totally loaded it down with my entire music collection, photo collection, funny vid collection, and all backup programs that I care about and still haven't scratched it's surface of capacity.  It's so easy to plug in and update or to grab and take with me to share music and pics with my friends.