News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

Crawfish, the Redneck way!

Started by sapphirehart, February 25, 2007, 08:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Evidently the movie was the first movie to be released with the F-word in it.

And "coon" is used in the same scene.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

swolt

QuoteBlack man: "What's up homie?"
White man: "Can't you coons talk proper English?"
Black man: *Shoots White Man*

I laughed so hard it hurt.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

VikingJuice

I've always known that "coon" was a racial term but that it had nothing to do with "coonass."  I was raised that "coonass" was the equivalent of Cajun redneck or dumbass country bumpkin.  We, including my ultra-racist for no reason family, always used it in referring to other cajun whites and usually in a positive context.  My dad tends to think of it as a badge of honor type thing.  It now seems odd that my family would use the term in a good light even though they are very racist. 

The etimology was very interesting to read, thanks Jess.

PS.  My family frequently makes me cringe with the ignorance, unreasonable arrogance, and sheer undeserved but elitist mentality they take toward blacks.  I avoid them as much as possible.  There are only two family members I really care to visit over in Louisiana so I go over very seldom.

Gamplayerx

What's the difference between a good old boy, a hillbilly, a redneck and a coonass?

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:13:39 PM
What's the difference between a good old boy, a hillbilly, a redneck and a coonass?

Texas, East Texas/Tennessee, Southern US, and Louisiana respectively.

Potato, Potato

Gamplayerx

What does that make my uncle from Virginia?

I think he's a good old boy, because he's not racist, intolerant or uneducated, he just likes hunting, chewing tobacco, beer and camouflage to excess.

dazie

Gamplayerx

Cunnerman?  I've not heard that term before, either.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:21:24 PM
What does that make my uncle from Virginia?

I think he's a good old boy, because he's not racist, intolerant or uneducated, he just likes hunting, chewing tobacco, beer and camouflage to excess.

"huntin' without beer?  That's like fishin'........................................without beer."

BigDun

Guns and beer. Could two things be made any better to go with each other?
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:53:43 PM
Cunnerman?  I've not heard that term before, either.

I've never heard it outside where I grew up.  It refers to people who live in/around Reeders PA or act like they do.  (ie: northern rednecks)

Bishamonten

I hate the term redneck.  It's simply another pejorative.  Fuck it.  If you want to call someone a redneck you better do a gut/ball check and see if you're willing to call this guy a redneck:

That's Mississippi John Hurt - born dirt fucking poor in Avalon Mississippi - about as deep country as you get. 

Also the "reclamation" of redneck is just as fucking stupid as the "reclaiming" of the word nigger.  No, they don't make you cooler or counterculture or make us think you're devoid of care for the opinions of others.  You are more than where you come from or where you live.  There's not a single redneck on this board... except maybe Catchr.

Alice

What does John Hurt have to do with rednecks?  Why would I have to call him a redneck in order to use the term at all?  Because he was born poor south of the Mason Dixon?  That has nothing to do with being a "redneck".

DownSouth

I thought redneck came from laborers who worked in the field all day and had sunburns.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

Quote from: DownSouth on February 27, 2007, 12:02:30 PM
I thought redneck came from laborers who worked in the field all day and had sunburns.
Yeah, but it's evolved into a different meaning.  Like the word nigger, faggot, queer, etc.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Alice on February 27, 2007, 12:01:14 PM
What does John Hurt have to do with rednecks?  Why would I have to call him a redneck in order to use the term at all?  Because he was born poor south of the Mason Dixon?  That has nothing to do with being a "redneck".

Bullshit.  People base it on locale all the goddamned time.. 

"Mississippi voted almost all red in the last elections.  Fucking rednecks."  "Georgia has banned sex toys.  Redneck fundamentalist assholes."  etc, etc.  Sure, there are people who deserve that moniker.  People whose behavior and personality are actual rednecks.  But, in the end, it's just the personality of an asshole and the person making the statement can feel superior because they aren't "rednecks", or "niggers", or "dotheads", or "spics".  Frankly, I'm one of the more crass, hateful and pessimistic person you can meet and I guaran-damn-tee you people give you enough reasons to hate them outside of where they come from.  To be honest, hating someone or casting a slur upon them based on their place of origin is just lazy hatefulness - put some fucking effort into hating someone.   

Alice

Hahahaha - I can agree with the effort part.

Perhaps I just don't see Redneck as that because Southerners don't = rednecks to me.  Rednecks are all over the place.  There are a ton in central and southern IL alone.  *shrugs*  I prefer yokels anyway.

Jessie

Redneck is based on a hell of a lot more than where you're from.  I know plenty of rednecks from Kentucky, and plenty of Kentuckians who aren't rednecks.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

That's why my favorite current insult is "douche bag".  It kind of encompasses all forms of assholes.

PS.  When I use the term redneck, it's always in reference to some backwards ass country bumpkin acting like a douche.  And quite honestly, I don't feel like I need to justify the notion with more words when it's as succinct to call them a redneck asshole.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: VikingJuice on February 27, 2007, 09:05:56 PM
That's why my favorite current insult is "douche bag".  It kind of encompasses all forms of assholes.

PS.  When I use the term redneck, it's always in reference to some backwards ass country bumpkin acting like a douche.  And quite honestly, I don't feel like I need to justify the notion with more words when it's as succinct to call them a redneck asshole.
Well, yeah.  But it's a bit insulting to women with hygiene problems.  Where's the compassion?  Where's the understanding?  Where's the empathy for these women??

p.s.  the asshole isn't the intended audience for the douche bag.  Just FYI

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 27, 2007, 10:38:29 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on February 27, 2007, 09:05:56 PM

Well, yeah.  But it's a bit insulting to women with hygiene problems.  Where's the compassion?  Where's the understanding?  Where's the empathy for these women??

p.s.  the asshole isn't the intended audience for the douche bag.  Just FYI

Took me a second.  Uhm, yeah, I knew that one.