News:

3/12/05 5000th post provided by Bishamonten

Main Menu

Crawfish, the Redneck way!

Started by sapphirehart, February 25, 2007, 08:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sapphirehart

I really truly wish I had taken my camera so that I could have some pics to show you guys what happens when you get a bunch of rednecks together with pounds and pounds of crawfish and coolers full of beer.  It was a sight to behold.

And then suddenly above the noise you could hear a cell phone starts ring.  The ringtone?  The horn from the General Lee.  Whose phone, you ask?  Terry's.

Rednecks.  Crawfish.  Beer.  What a combination.  I could only take four hours of it before I left.  Terry is still there.  I'm sure he'll come home toasted.

BigDun

I'm so glad I escaped the south. Not that I don't like the south. Well, ok, maybe a little.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on February 25, 2007, 09:01:56 PM
I'm so glad I escaped the south. Not that I don't like the south. Well, ok, maybe a little.
Maybe a little you like it or maybe a little you don't?  You confuzzle me.

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 25, 2007, 10:00:42 PM
Quote from: BigDun on February 25, 2007, 09:01:56 PM
Maybe a little you like it or maybe a little you don't?  You confuzzle me.
My life is complete.

VikingJuice

That describes Easter last year at one of my aunt's houses in Louisiana.  They had a little over 250 lbs of crawfish and several cases of beer.  It's very rednecky, or coonass as my family calls it, but damn, cold beer and seafood do go very well together.

Jessie

Quote from: VikingJuice on February 26, 2007, 01:04:43 AM
That describes Easter last year at one of my aunt's houses in Louisiana.  They had a little over 250 lbs of crawfish and several cases of beer.  It's very rednecky, or coonass as my family calls it, but damn, cold beer and seafood do go very well together.

That's not what 'coonass' would mean here.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on February 26, 2007, 09:05:37 AM

Here either.  I think you'd get shot for saying that around here.

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on February 26, 2007, 09:19:56 AM

You'd probably get elected to office for saying it around here.

swolt

Quote from: Jessie on February 26, 2007, 09:30:43 AM

yeah for real. coonass is a proud title people carry here.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Jessie

Quote from: swolt on February 26, 2007, 09:37:24 AM
Quote from: Jessie on February 26, 2007, 09:30:43 AM

yeah for real. coonass is a proud title people carry here.
I think maybe I didn't make what I was saying clear.

Coonass would be a racial slur.  Around here, people tend to embrace racism.

dazie

coonass = racial slur
cunas = something having to do with backcountry southern types. 

I think.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

Jessie

1. coonass  116 up, 8 down 

Coonass is a controversial term in the Cajun lexicon: to some Cajuns it is regarded as the supreme ethnic slur, meaning \"ignorant, backwards Cajun\"; to others the term is a badge of pride, much like the word Chicano is for Mexican Americans. In South Louisiana, for example, one can often see bumper stickers reading \"Warning — Coonass on Board!\" or \"Registered Coonass\" (both of which generally depict a raccoon's backside). The word's origin is unclear: folk etymology claims that coonass dates from World War II, when Cajun GIs serving in France were derided by native French speakers as conasse, meaning \"dirty whore\" or \"idiot.\" Non-French-speaking American GIs allegedly overheard the expression, converted it to the English \"coonass,\" and introduced the term back in the United States. There it supposedly soon caught on as a derisive term among non-Cajuns, who encountered many Cajuns in Gulf Coast oilfields. It is now known, however, that coonass predated the arrival of Cajun GIs in France during World War II, which undermines the conasse theory. Indeed, folklorist Barry Jean Ancelet has long rejected this theory, calling it \"shaky linguistics at best.\" He has suggested that the word originated in South Louisiana, and that it derived from the belief that Cajuns frequently ate raccoons. He has also proposed that the term contains a negative racial connotation: namely, that Cajuns were \"beneath\" or \"under\" blacks (or coons, as blacks were often called by racists). Despite efforts by Cajun activists like James Domengeaux and Warren A. Perrin to stamp out the term's use, coonass continues to circulate in South Louisiana and beyond. Its acceptability among the general public, however, tends to vary according to circumstances, and often depends on who says it and with what intention. Cajuns who dislike the term have been known to correct well-meaning outsiders who use the epithet.

by pastorchik Sep 29, 2003 email it
permalink:  del.icio.us
Send to a friend
your email: 
their email: 
  send me the word of the day (it's free)

2. coonass  61 up, 5 down 

1)derogatory term for cajuns
2)term embraced by some cajuns
3) language used by such,more prominent in older cajuns

tha thur gir dun sha sum tidi, i trew da beads den she dundid drop trow fo meh

by cory Mar 21, 2005 email it
3. coonass  43 up, 86 down 

The dumbass LSU fans.

I beat up some coonass at last year's game at that hole called Tiger Stadium.

by Kevin Jul 26, 2004 email it
4. coonass  14 up, 93 down 

an american white girl who thinks she's better than every black guy in town and then gets busted real hard and ends up with her ankles in the air.

She tried to pull that coonass shit on me like I'M stupid.

by anon Mar 3, 2005 email it

swolt

coonass here means redneck. If you say someone is a "good ol' coonass" you mean he is a good country boy. I didn't even realize it was a racial slur. I've always heard it in the context of being a compliment.

Jessie

I've never heard it at all, but 'coon' anything around here would be construed as a racial slur.

swolt

Quote from: Jessie on February 26, 2007, 10:01:13 AM
I've never heard it at all, but 'coon' anything around here would be construed as a racial slur.

"coon" is a slur for black people? I have never heard that. I had no idea.

Jessie

Quote from: swolt on February 26, 2007, 10:03:13 AM

Wow.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on February 26, 2007, 10:04:31 AM
Quote from: swolt on February 26, 2007, 10:03:13 AM

Wow.
I can see him not having heard it that way since he is from LA - and there it's obviously something much different.  But I'd imagine most other states people would know what that implies.

swolt

I asked everyone at work today "Would you be offended if someone called you a coonass?"

Everyone said "no, not at all." This includes Derek, who is black.

Joey even said "Well I am a coonass, why would it offend me if someone called me that?"

and I just remembered, my dad's CPA's email address is ladycoonass@hotmail.com. This is a very smart lady.

This is very interesting. You learn something new every day...

Jessie

I've never heard coonass before.  So I guess we're all learning something.

swolt

Quote from: Jessie on February 26, 2007, 10:36:57 AM
I've never heard coonass before.  So I guess we're all learning something.

learning and sharing is fun!

dazie

Swolt has obviously never seen the movie M*A*S*H

Gamplayerx

dazie

swolt

Quote from: dazie on February 26, 2007, 10:48:47 AM
Swolt has obviously never seen the movie M*A*S*H

I've seen the TV show a few times but not the movie. Didn't they say the F-word in the movie? That's all I know about it.

dazie

Evidently the movie was the first movie to be released with the F-word in it.

And "coon" is used in the same scene.

Jessie

swolt

QuoteBlack man: "What's up homie?"
White man: "Can't you coons talk proper English?"
Black man: *Shoots White Man*

I laughed so hard it hurt.

VikingJuice

I've always known that "coon" was a racial term but that it had nothing to do with "coonass."  I was raised that "coonass" was the equivalent of Cajun redneck or dumbass country bumpkin.  We, including my ultra-racist for no reason family, always used it in referring to other cajun whites and usually in a positive context.  My dad tends to think of it as a badge of honor type thing.  It now seems odd that my family would use the term in a good light even though they are very racist. 

The etimology was very interesting to read, thanks Jess.

PS.  My family frequently makes me cringe with the ignorance, unreasonable arrogance, and sheer undeserved but elitist mentality they take toward blacks.  I avoid them as much as possible.  There are only two family members I really care to visit over in Louisiana so I go over very seldom.

Gamplayerx

What's the difference between a good old boy, a hillbilly, a redneck and a coonass?

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:13:39 PM
What's the difference between a good old boy, a hillbilly, a redneck and a coonass?

Texas, East Texas/Tennessee, Southern US, and Louisiana respectively.

Potato, Potato

Gamplayerx

What does that make my uncle from Virginia?

I think he's a good old boy, because he's not racist, intolerant or uneducated, he just likes hunting, chewing tobacco, beer and camouflage to excess.

dazie

Gamplayerx

Cunnerman?  I've not heard that term before, either.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:21:24 PM
What does that make my uncle from Virginia?

I think he's a good old boy, because he's not racist, intolerant or uneducated, he just likes hunting, chewing tobacco, beer and camouflage to excess.

"huntin' without beer?  That's like fishin'........................................without beer."

BigDun

Guns and beer. Could two things be made any better to go with each other?

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 26, 2007, 08:53:43 PM
Cunnerman?  I've not heard that term before, either.

I've never heard it outside where I grew up.  It refers to people who live in/around Reeders PA or act like they do.  (ie: northern rednecks)

Bishamonten

I hate the term redneck.  It's simply another pejorative.  Fuck it.  If you want to call someone a redneck you better do a gut/ball check and see if you're willing to call this guy a redneck:

That's Mississippi John Hurt - born dirt fucking poor in Avalon Mississippi - about as deep country as you get. 

Also the "reclamation" of redneck is just as fucking stupid as the "reclaiming" of the word nigger.  No, they don't make you cooler or counterculture or make us think you're devoid of care for the opinions of others.  You are more than where you come from or where you live.  There's not a single redneck on this board... except maybe Catchr.

Alice

What does John Hurt have to do with rednecks?  Why would I have to call him a redneck in order to use the term at all?  Because he was born poor south of the Mason Dixon?  That has nothing to do with being a "redneck".

DownSouth

I thought redneck came from laborers who worked in the field all day and had sunburns.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

Quote from: DownSouth on February 27, 2007, 12:02:30 PM
I thought redneck came from laborers who worked in the field all day and had sunburns.
Yeah, but it's evolved into a different meaning.  Like the word nigger, faggot, queer, etc.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Alice on February 27, 2007, 12:01:14 PM
What does John Hurt have to do with rednecks?  Why would I have to call him a redneck in order to use the term at all?  Because he was born poor south of the Mason Dixon?  That has nothing to do with being a "redneck".

Bullshit.  People base it on locale all the goddamned time.. 

"Mississippi voted almost all red in the last elections.  Fucking rednecks."  "Georgia has banned sex toys.  Redneck fundamentalist assholes."  etc, etc.  Sure, there are people who deserve that moniker.  People whose behavior and personality are actual rednecks.  But, in the end, it's just the personality of an asshole and the person making the statement can feel superior because they aren't "rednecks", or "niggers", or "dotheads", or "spics".  Frankly, I'm one of the more crass, hateful and pessimistic person you can meet and I guaran-damn-tee you people give you enough reasons to hate them outside of where they come from.  To be honest, hating someone or casting a slur upon them based on their place of origin is just lazy hatefulness - put some fucking effort into hating someone.   

Alice

Hahahaha - I can agree with the effort part.

Perhaps I just don't see Redneck as that because Southerners don't = rednecks to me.  Rednecks are all over the place.  There are a ton in central and southern IL alone.  *shrugs*  I prefer yokels anyway.

Jessie

Redneck is based on a hell of a lot more than where you're from.  I know plenty of rednecks from Kentucky, and plenty of Kentuckians who aren't rednecks.

VikingJuice

That's why my favorite current insult is "douche bag".  It kind of encompasses all forms of assholes.

PS.  When I use the term redneck, it's always in reference to some backwards ass country bumpkin acting like a douche.  And quite honestly, I don't feel like I need to justify the notion with more words when it's as succinct to call them a redneck asshole.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: VikingJuice on February 27, 2007, 09:05:56 PM
That's why my favorite current insult is "douche bag".  It kind of encompasses all forms of assholes.

PS.  When I use the term redneck, it's always in reference to some backwards ass country bumpkin acting like a douche.  And quite honestly, I don't feel like I need to justify the notion with more words when it's as succinct to call them a redneck asshole.
Well, yeah.  But it's a bit insulting to women with hygiene problems.  Where's the compassion?  Where's the understanding?  Where's the empathy for these women??

p.s.  the asshole isn't the intended audience for the douche bag.  Just FYI

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on February 27, 2007, 10:38:29 PM
Quote from: VikingJuice on February 27, 2007, 09:05:56 PM

Well, yeah.  But it's a bit insulting to women with hygiene problems.  Where's the compassion?  Where's the understanding?  Where's the empathy for these women??

p.s.  the asshole isn't the intended audience for the douche bag.  Just FYI

Took me a second.  Uhm, yeah, I knew that one.