News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

PHP syntax problem

Started by swolt, January 07, 2007, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

Here is my code:

Quotemysql_query("UPDATE ticket SET (location,problems,notes,quote,quote_total,status) VALUES
  ('$location','$problems','$notes','$quote','$quote_total','$status')") or die(mysql_error());

It's giving me an error. I think it's something stupid like I misplaced a " or something, but i can't find it. I've been looking at this crap all day and I think I'm just too close to it. Anyone on here know PHP/MySQL enough to point out the error?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

swolt

oh, duh, I got it. I had copied my INSERT code instead of writing new code for the UPDATE. The syntax should be:

Quotemysql_query("UPDATE ticket SET location=$location");

I should have used = instead of values

ReBurn

Oh, it looked to me like you were missing an opening parentheses.  There is one more closing parentheses than there is opening one in your example.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

BigDun

I was going to suggest you display the variables' contents. Many times sql writes fail because the the variables contain a " or ' and are interpreted as part of the code.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

swolt

this is why I hate coding. I am really good at laying out the database in my head and creating a page flow. What I suck at is the actual coding.

I'm creating a new service database for work. It's really quite cool. My brother wrote most of the code, while I directed him with the database and flow. He finished most of it before he left for vacation, so I'm stuck trying to finish it up using his code. I just moved it to official beta.

If you guys want to check it out, here is what I have so far: www.joshuahenderson.com/ubek

It's ugly, I know. Angelo is really good with graphics so he said he would make it pretty once I had PHP part done. We are suppose to get together next week. Also the link all the way to the right doesn't work.

Feel free to add/edit stuff to the database. This is just a play server. Although if you figure out a way to drop the database, please don't :)