News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

sulky laptop

Started by nishi, April 10, 2005, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

so, all of a sudden, my laptop is acting as though it is on a 28.8 dialup modem, especially where gmail is concerned, but it's true with other sites as well.

working with any applications that are not internet related, the speed is fine. this came on suddenly, and seems like it came on after i offloaded a bunch of music and photo files to a storage site.

any troubleshooting points to begin with?
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

Maybe it's just your ISP.

My computer is so messed up right now, the only browser that won't freeze my computer is IE. Scary, isn't it?
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

BigDun

Quote from: nishi on April 10, 2005, 11:18:22 AM
so, all of a sudden, my laptop is acting as though it is on a 28.8 dialup modem, especially where gmail is concerned, but it's true with other sites as well.

working with any applications that are not internet related, the speed is fine. this came on suddenly, and seems like it came on after i offloaded a bunch of music and photo files to a storage site.

any troubleshooting points to begin with?

Try running spybot or addaware. You might have some spyware stealing your cpu and bandwidth.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

You could always throw a quarter at the screen.  I've heard that works.

My guess is that if some sites are slower than others that it is a routing problem with either your ISP or the local internet backbone.  Did it ever get better?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

nishi

i cannot figure out what the fuck is wrong with it.

the recent history:

cleared the cache before my first post and that did help some, but gmail still made it hang. it made junto load quickly and immediately.

ran spybot, addaware, and stinger. afterwards, gmail was zippy. junto ground to a dead fucking halt.

cleared cache again. no change.

threw quarter. fortunately, missed the screen, almost hit the cat.

i'm running off the same ISP/router system as my desktop which is having none of these difficulties. when this first started happening, i checked the strength of the signal for the wireless router and there were lots of times when the signal very weak, and refreshing it would help boost it, and it would push through the gmail hangup... only to hang again the next time i hit reply.

now, however, refreshing the signal makes no difference, although there are times when it still seems low which, considering that i'm only ever about 20 feet away (or less) from it seems kind of stupid.

like i said - sulky. it's very sulky.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

BigDun

Run an ethernet cable to the router. If it is still laggy then it's not your wireless network. If it isn't laggy when hard wired and is still lagging when wireless, then look for causes of interference. My in-laws 2.4 ghz telephones cause their wireless network to slow to a crawl when they are on the phone. Microwave ovens also can cause interference with 2.4 ghz networks.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

eo000

Quotethrew quarter. fortunately, missed the screen, almost hit the cat.

just made my day.