News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

Started by Beefy, September 25, 2006, 10:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

that looks really good.

Beefy

QuoteMy final analysis is 300 the most ass-ruling movie I've seen this year, and will probably be the King of 2007 unless someone makes a movie where a pair of sentient boobs fights a werewolf.
[/url]

Alice

I want to see this so badly!

eo000

just about a month.

Beefy

Pacing was off, and probably a good 20 minutes could have been carved out for a leaner, meaner film.

It was very much in love with bringing the graphic novel to life visually, right down to recreating the images in detail.  It was a beautiful, unique thing to watch, especially if you're familiar enough with Frank Miller's artwork to really catch the effort they put into it.

Gerard Butler, previously considered a sometimes interesting but uneven actor, is now the most kick ass kick-ass to have ever kicked ass upon the kick-assed.

Lots of buff man-skin on parade for the ladies, a couple of lovely ladies for the men to ogle, and a few decrepit deformities and diseased leper types for Bish to get off to.

A good, worthwhile, though not wholly successful film.

eo000

i've got my imax tickets for tomorrow at 220. i hope it's good. :D

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on March 09, 2007, 08:29:16 PM
Pacing was off, and probably a good 20 minutes could have been carved out for a leaner, meaner film.

It was very much in love with bringing the graphic novel to life visually, right down to recreating the images in detail.  It was a beautiful, unique thing to watch, especially if you're familiar enough with Frank Miller's artwork to really catch the effort they put into it.

Gerard Butler, previously considered a sometimes interesting but uneven actor, is now the most kick ass kick-ass to have ever kicked ass upon the kick-assed.

Lots of buff man-skin on parade for the ladies, a couple of lovely ladies for the men to ogle, and a few decrepit deformities and diseased leper types for Bish to get off to.

A good, worthwhile, though not wholly successful film.

Any film is successful if it has lepers for me to jerk off to.

You've gotten too elitist man!

dazie

We sold out all 6 showings yesterday- roughly 300 seats a show...  it was CRAZY busy.

I'm eager to see it, I just don't know WHEN I'll be able to.  Maybe over Spring Break.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on March 10, 2007, 02:04:41 PM
We sold out all 6 showings yesterday- roughly 300 seats a show...  it was CRAZY busy.

QuoteWarner Bros. seized control of the North American box office on Friday with the explosive debut of its Spartan war epic 300 which grossed an estimated $27.7M setting a new record for the largest opening day ever in the entire January-to-April corridor. The violent actioner also generated the biggest opening day of any film since last year's top grosser Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest set sail last July. With sold out midnight shows beginning on Thursday night, 300 is on its way to commanding the third largest debut in history for an R-rated film behind only The Matrix Reloaded ($91.8M in 2003) and The Passion of the Christ ($83.8M in 2004). Intense upfront demand for the stylish battle film should lead its Friday gross to account for a high percentage of the whole three-day take. An astonishing $65-70M weekend gross could result.
[/url]

Bishamonten

Saw it earlier tonight.  Really enjoyed it.  There were small failings, but as long as you view it as an adaptation of a comic book and not as a history lesson, I think you'd be hard pressed not to like it.

Bishamonten

So the guy who plays Xerxes?  That's Paulo from Lost.  You know the wanna be Sawyer - the one who took a dump in the station w/ all the TVs?

eo000

i really liked it.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 11, 2007, 01:04:39 AM
So the guy who plays Xerxes?  That's Paulo from Lost.  You know the wanna be Sawyer - the one who took a dump in the station w/ all the TVs?

Yeah, I noticed that.  I still hate Paulo.

Beefy

70 million in three days in March.  Crazy.

BigDun

I saw it today. Two thumbs up for excellent visuals.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

swolt

going to see it tonight.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Infobahn

Not going to go see it.  Haven't been out to see a movie in a long time.  Gotta find a babysitter.

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

swolt

wow, what a great movie. I'll go see it again.

BigDun

I'll order it from Netflix so my wife can watch it. She was concerned that it would have the gross out factor of Silence of the Lambs II or Sin City. Truthfully I would put the gore on the same level as Braveheart but much more stylized.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on March 11, 2007, 10:09:11 PM
I'll order it from Netflix so my wife can watch it. She was concerned that it would have the gross out factor of Silence of the Lambs II or Sin City. Truthfully I would put the gore on the same level as Braveheart but much more stylized.
Who's your movie buddy?

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 11, 2007, 11:00:42 PM
Who's your movie buddy?
I went alone.

DownSouth

Quote from: BigDun on March 12, 2007, 11:52:13 AM
Who's your movie buddy?
I went alone.
Did you pull the popcorn tub trick on yourself?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

BigDun

Quote from: DownSouth on March 12, 2007, 12:14:52 PM
Who's your movie buddy?
I went alone.
I asked a stranger sitting next to me to lend a hand.

DownSouth

Quote from: BigDun on March 12, 2007, 01:02:34 PM
Who's your movie buddy?
I went alone.
Did she have curly red hair?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

swolt

Quote from: DownSouth on March 12, 2007, 02:08:32 PM
Quote from: BigDun on March 12, 2007, 01:02:34 PM
Who's your movie buddy?
I went alone.
Did she have curly red hair?
I don't do that shit anymore!

DownSouth

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

The Russians and the Cubans must have been crushed when Red Dawn came out.

ReBurn

Somebody should punch Iran...IN THE FACE!!!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on March 09, 2007, 08:29:16 PM

I just today realized who that is.  Yow.

ReBurn

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

dazie

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on March 14, 2007, 08:32:26 AM
http://www.lawrence.com/blogs/hate_the_player/2007/mar/12/three_hundred/

That was fun.  The side by side comparisons are good for those folks not familiar with Miller's work.  It shows you how detailed they were in trying to bring the original vision to the screen. 

I hope to God that we never see a Dark Knight Returns movie.  It just wouldn't work.

dazie

Yeah- I don't think I'd like to see that.  It'd have to be vanilla-d down for the current Batman crowd.

dazie

dazie

Shitfuckdamnasspie.

I got off work early from the theater tonight, so I figured I'd go see 300.  NOBODY wanted to/could go tonight with me.

WTF people.  Free movie.

*grumblebitchwhine*

>:(

ReBurn

Go stag. That way nobody is there to annoy you. I wanted to see it this weekend, but I saw Wild Hogs instead.

dazie

I'm thinkin I might hit the matinee on Wednesday.  Maybe stag, unless I can convince someone else to play hooky too.

I poked my head in a few times while I was at work tonight- it looks really cool.  :)

Bishamonten

Quote from: dazie on March 19, 2007, 12:18:42 AM
I'm thinkin I might hit the matinee on Wednesday.  Maybe stag, unless I can convince someone else to play hooky too.

I poked my head in a few times while I was at work tonight- it looks really cool.  :)

Let me tell you how to enjoy this film and really avoid all the bullshit critiques that have been levelled against it.

The film is narrated and it's an "I caught a fish this big" story.  A campfire story. Effectively a legend.  The people on the side of the storyteller are shown as heroic, dashing, and brave.  The bad guys are shown as mutated, impossible creatures that no man could defeat in battle.  It's how stories are told.

Keep that in mind and you'll have a really good time watching it, I think

dazie

I'm excited that it stays fairly close to the graphic novel.  I haven't read it, but I love love love Frank Miller's stuff, so I'm pretty stoked.

dazie

I liked it.  It was good.  :)

dazie

OK- spoilers in here...

In response to BD's concern about the gore:  Yes- it was gory, but not in the "OMG MY GUTS ARE FALLING OUT" sort of gory.  For example- when Leonidas lops off the noggin of that orc looking creature- it could have been much nastier.  I was really expecting much more blood and oogy to come shooting out.  In that respect, it wasn't nearly as realistic as one would think.  However- the bloody spear heads were pretty cool.  :)

I very much enjoyed the humor that popped up now and again.  The first exchange between Leonidas and Xerxes made me howl.

I was very glad that Faromir didn't die.  I know that's not his name in this movie, but I never caught what it was supposed to be, so I just called him Faromir the whole time in my head.

I clapped and whooped when the Queen killed the traitor.   Since there were only about 20 people in the theater at the time, it was kind of obvious.  *lol*

I'm irked that I didn't catch more names. 

The only disappointment I have with the movie is the fact that the hunchback quite often looks REALLY fake.  In Xerxes' tent with all the writhing chicks (I missed the armless one- pity) he looks like something straight out of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame.  I expected him to sing.

Oh- I wanted to bitchslap the guy that split- don't know his name either.

VikingJuice

Finally saw it today, it was okay.  Entertaining for two hours but certainly not Earth shattering or cinema changing the way I'd heard.

dazie

Quote from: VikingJuice on April 06, 2007, 04:07:06 PM
Finally saw it today, it was okay.  Entertaining for two hours but certainly not Earth shattering or cinema changing the way I'd heard.

cinema changing??

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on April 06, 2007, 04:10:08 PM

cinema changing??

Yep, I'd read somewhere that it would change cinema the way Star Wars did.  I'm not so sure I'd go down that road even just a few feet.  It was very cool visually but I thought Sin City did more cinematically.

dazie

Quote from: VikingJuice on April 06, 2007, 04:12:46 PM
Quote from: dazie on April 06, 2007, 04:10:08 PM

cinema changing??

Yep, I'd read somewhere that it would change cinema the way Star Wars did.  I'm not so sure I'd go down that road even just a few feet.  It was very cool visually but I thought Sin City did more cinematically.

Huh.  Silly me for not noticing that.  I just thought it was a neat movie. 

;)

Beefy

I don't think it changes cinema so much as represents how cinema is already changing.  Lucas certainly started it, way back with Radioland Murders.  Robert Rodriguez has also been at the forefront of this effort.  I think there has been a lot of concern about how much life could be in a film where the actors aren't given a real backdrop of life to react to.  I think one of the reasons 300 has been such a success is that it does a good job of keeping lively and exciting despite the fact that everyone was standing in front of a blank screen when they were filming.

Beefy

I can't wait to see how Snyder recreates 1985 New York City with this technology.  Hopefully he makes the past subtle instead of driving it down our throats.

Alice

Gah.  Everytime we go to try and see this, something happens.  Normally its been little piddly stuff.  This time, we decide to go see it at the IMAX... and my friend gets a call from his mom that her and his father just split up and his father is missing.

300 is a curse.

Gamplayerx

Did they find him?

Alice

Beefy

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on April 09, 2007, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: Alice on April 09, 2007, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 09, 2007, 11:07:23 AM
Did they find him?
Yeah.

Well, at least he's not dining in hell.

He might be- she didn't say WHERE they found him.

could be at Arby's or Sbarro though...

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on April 09, 2007, 11:32:49 AM
Quote from: Beefy on April 09, 2007, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: Alice on April 09, 2007, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 09, 2007, 11:07:23 AM
Did they find him?
Yeah.

Well, at least he's not dining in hell.

He might be- she didn't say WHERE they found him.

could be at Arby's or Sbarro though...

Mmmmm....Arby's.  I love their roast beef-n-cheddar on their onion rolls.  So yummy.

dazie

Saw this again last night.  It holds up well to the 2nd viewing, I caught a lot more of the details (like names) that I missed the first time.

I'm definitely going to need a bigger TV when this movie comes out on DVD.

BigDun

I had someone pull up next to me in a white van while I was filling my car on Friday. Some kid (probably in his late teens or early 20s) stuck his head out the passenger side window and asked me if I wanted a home entertainment system. They were delivering one and somehow the company they worked for had accidentally loaded two systems on the van (yeah, right). I thought about it for about 2 seconds and realized that there was absolutely nothing he could have in that van that would enhance my current system and told him so. He was like "Don't you want to add a thousand watt surround sound with tower speakers? Or a plasma?". I told him that my surround system was fine and I already had a 50" plasma.

All-in-all, it was rather surreal.

dazie

Always thinking of yourself!  What about the rest of us?  I don't have a 50" plasma!

BigDun

I'll tell him to head over to Kansas if I see him again.

Alice

I still haven't seen this.

We went for the 4th time to see this on Thursday & the projector broke.  This movie is cursed.

Alice

I liked it.  It was good.  And large.  (IMAX)

dazie

bout damn time.

dazie

dazie

Is today the day?  I think today's the day!  WHOOP!

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on July 31, 2007, 09:20:16 AM
Is today the day?  I think today's the day!  WHOOP!

Yup.  Hot Fuzz, too.

dazie

I may just rent Hot Fuzz.

I think though, I have to wait until Friday to pick up 300.  :(

meredith

I still need to watch 300.

Get that testosterone infusion.

Kick some people in the chest.

ReBurn

I just saw it. I really liked it. I wish I would have seen it in the theater, but I guess 1080i is the second-to-next-best thing. My next tv must be 1080p. Unless they release something even better than that.

dazie

I can't decide if I'm going to show it in my auditorium here at work or if I'm going to borrow one of the LCD projectors and put up a sheet at home to watch it HUGE.

:)

Are there cool things as extras?

ReBurn

The Blu-ray has some good extra content. It has some good extra scenes, a documentary of how Frank Miller's vision was realized on-screen, a documentary about what was fact and what was fiction about Spartans, a documentary about how the actors prepared for their roles as Spartans, a commentary from the director and several other things.

It also has a card in the case that says:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This Blu-ray disc is manufactured to the highest quality available. It is possible this Blu-ray disc was manufactured after your Blu-ray disc player. To ensure the best possible viewing experience, your Blu-ray disc player may need a firmware or software update. Please consult your hardware manufacturer's website for the latest firmware or software update. Please consult your hardware manufacturer's website for the latest firmware or software version and, if an upgrade is available, we suggest that you follow its installation instructions.

DownSouth

Me and my dad are going to watch 300 tonight.

dazie

You'll dig it.  You always did have a thing for hot men in leather BVDs.

Beefy

Quote from: DownSouth on August 02, 2007, 11:08:31 AM
Me and my dad are going to watch 300 tonight.

There's lots of sweaty man-on-man action in it.  You'll love it.

Beefy

dazie

Whoop!  I win the gutter competition for the day!

DownSouth

I'm still tired from my fruit of the loom gang bang last night.

dazie

Hee hee!  Thank you Mom and Dad!

I finally got this movie today.  :)  Yay birthday money.

I splurged and got the 2 disk set- I haven't watched all the extras yet.

Kate's dying to watch the movie, but every time she looks at it she goes "Eew!  Gross!" and runs away.  *shrug*  her loss.

ReBurn

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Dry then Catch

anyone see what the extras are like?

dazie

Ursus watched the workout stuff.

He then got depressed.  :-\

swolt

Quote from: dazie on November 07, 2007, 05:44:12 PM
Ursus watched the workout stuff.

He then got turned on.  :-\

dazie

Dry then Catch

dazie

Ursus and K8 are out shopping, so I'm finally watching this.

It's such a cool movie.  :)

dazie

Hah!  Kate's watching it now.

Her biggest concern so far is how they cut off the horse's leg to stop the Persian riding it.

Other than that she really likes it.

Dry then Catch

how bout the horses drowning to their deaths

dazie

I don't think she noticed that.