News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

So I rewired it...

Started by dazie, August 05, 2006, 11:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Turn off the breaker before you mess with it again.

It probably zapped you because it is miswired somewhere- you might want to get an electrician to look at it.  You are supposed to be able to at least change the bulb without getting electrocuted.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Alice

Quote from: Miss Molly on November 18, 2006, 01:54:43 PM
Speaking of electrical quandries... we have a light in the downstairs foyer that is supposed to be on all the time.  the porch lights are supposed to be set on a timer.  All of them are out.  I tried taking the bulb out of the inside foyer one so I could get a new one, and when my hand touched the metal part of the fixture it zapped me.

How can I avoid getting zapped?  Why did it zap me?
Our porch light does that too - I use a pot holder to change it.  It can make it a tad more difficult, but then I don't have to get zapped.

JJ

Quote from: Alice on November 18, 2006, 02:06:49 PM
Speaking of electrical quandries... we have a light in the downstairs foyer that is supposed to be on all the time.  the porch lights are supposed to be set on a timer.  All of them are out.  I tried taking the bulb out of the inside foyer one so I could get a new one, and when my hand touched the metal part of the fixture it zapped me.

Our porch light does that too - I use a pot holder to change it.  It can make it a tad more difficult, but then I don't have to get zapped.

Your fixture is not grounded properly.

Alice: Consider CFL bulbs, they last super long and are great and I love them and want to eat them up.

Alice

Quote from: JJ on November 18, 2006, 02:11:08 PM
Quote from: Alice on November 18, 2006, 02:06:49 PM

Your fixture is not grounded properly.

Alice: Consider CFL bulbs, they last super long and are great and I love them and want to eat them up.
I do need to get lightbulbs today, actually - i'll check them out.

JJ

GET THE GE MODELS

NO SYLVANIA, DO NOT WANT

dazie

Holeey hell.  It's like frickin' Broadway in my bathroom now.   :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

JJ

= 320 W @ standard globes
= 72 W @ CFLs

dazie

Do they make a CFL that doesn't make me look like a zombie?  I hate the color of the light they exude.   :zombie:

JJ

Old CFLs were lacking in blue and green wavelengths (IIRC).  See below

The newer ones produce just the same nice yellow light as traditional incandescents.

GEs are really good. Get Globe brand at wal-mart for globe style fixtures: I found they were better than GE.

CFLs rule.

Just remember for some circumstances there may be a warm-up period before they're totally bright.

dazie

I actually replaced a flourescent fixture with the Broadway lights because flourescents in a bathroom are evil.  I'll check out the new CFLs though.

Miss Molly

No way, I love fluorescents in a bathroom!

Gamplayerx

Good job, dazie!

Electrical stuff scares me.

Infobahn

Fluorescents, unless they are daylight color corrected, cast green light.  Evil, green, light.

BigDun

Call an electrician.

Being zapped when touching the metal part of the fixture indicates a short. The fact that it didn't blow a fuse should be of some concern. In the short term, figure out which breaker controls that light and switch the breaker off. It could just be bad polarity on the bulb and the bulb screw was touching something it shouldn't. It could also be a wiring problem and a fire hazard.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

Some people look good in green.   :D

JJ

Quote from: The Rock on November 18, 2006, 07:55:55 PM
Fluorescents, unless they are daylight color corrected, cast green light.  Evil, green, light.

It's all about the powder coatings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

JJ

Many people find the color spectrum produced by some fluorescent lighting to be harsh and displeasing. It is common for a healthy person to appear with a sickly bluish skin tone under fluorescent lighting. This is due in part to the presence of prominent blue and green lines emitted directly by the mercury arc and in part to the type of phosphor used. Many pigments appear a slightly different color when viewed under fluorescent light versus incandescent. This is mainly the case with fluorescent lamps containing the older halophosphate type phosphors (chemical formula Ca5(PO4)3(F,Cl):Sb3+,Mn2+), usually labeled as "cool white". The bad color reproduction is due to the fact that this phosphor mainly emits yellow and blue light, and relatively little green and red. To the eye, this mixture looks white, but light reflected from surfaces has an incomplete spectrum. More expensive fluorescent lamps use a triphosphor mixture, based on europium and terbium ions, that have emission bands more evenly distributed over the spectrum of visible light. These phosphors give a more natural color reproduction to the human eye.

Jessie

I hate whatever kind of lights they use in hotel bathrooms.  Christ I look AWFUL in them, always.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on November 18, 2006, 09:05:07 PM
I hate whatever kind of lights they use in hotel bathrooms.  Christ I look AWFUL in them, always.

You should take your "dates" to somewhere other than Motel 6.

;)

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on November 18, 2006, 09:07:04 PM

;)
GFY

:)
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on November 18, 2006, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: dazie on November 18, 2006, 09:07:04 PM

;)
GFY
:)

Can I borrow your room key?

Alice

That's because you can see every effing flaw.

True story:

I dated this guy once and we really only saw eachother in fake light at night time - because our schedules.  After seeing him for the first time in broad daylight, after like a month of dating, I didnt' find him attractive.  It was the weirdest thing ever.