News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

Factotum

Started by Alice, July 20, 2006, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

I have a friend that was an extra in Factotum, actually got some speaking lines and a bit of camera time.  Sadly, they didn't really distribute a DVD of this in America.  The only copy I can find is at Tower Records for almost $40.

Does anyone know where I can find it for cheaper?  Like around $20?

cnamon

Did you try eBay?  Put an ad out on Craigslist.

Beefy

Definitely ebay.  Several results popped up.

Alice

Thanks guys.  Dunno why I didn't think of eBay.  Durrrr.... I caught the Michigidiot I think.

Alice

Dammit, I'm an idiot I think. 

I just bid without fully thinking.  What does PAL version mean???

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on July 20, 2006, 11:33:27 AM

PAL is a foreign television standard that isn't supported by the majority of the U.S. consumer market.  It is 625 lines of image versus the U.S. NTSC standard, which is 525.

It means if you win you very likely won't be able to watch it, unless you find a way to convert it or buy a player that will play PAL.

eo000

you didn't catch michigiot, you caught wishconstard

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on July 20, 2006, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: Alice on July 20, 2006, 11:33:27 AM

PAL is a foreign television standard that isn't supported by the majority of the U.S. consumer market.  It is 625 lines of image versus the U.S. NTSC standard, which is 525.

It means if you win you very likely won't be able to watch it, unless you find a way to convert it or buy a player that will play PAL.
Crap.

*sigh*  

I hope someone outbids me.  I emailed him to see if he'd cancel my bid... we'll see.

Stupid Alice.  Stupid, stupid.

Alice

Okay, so how the hell do I find a version that can play in the US?  Everything I found is Region 2... why are there no universal released ones?  This makes no sense to me, why would they release it in the UK but not the US?

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on July 20, 2006, 11:45:07 AM
Okay, so how the hell do I find a version that can play in the US?  Everything I found is Region 2... why are there no universal released ones?  This makes no sense to me, why would they release it in the UK but not the US?
I wonder if my friend has a UK DVD player.  MOVIE NIGHT AT HIS HOUSE!
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

The best bet is to look for Region free DVDs, which will play in any player.  Many discs get released in specific area and Regions where the studios feel they have the best chance to turn a profit.

There are programs on the Web that you can download that will enable you to suck in a PAL DVD to your computer and make it Region free.  Bish is a little better with it than I am, though I used DVD Encryptor and DVD Shrink if I remember correctly.  That's one way around it.

Alice

Yay, the guy was nice enough to cancel my bid.  :)

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on July 20, 2006, 12:22:05 PM

The best bet is to look for Region free DVDs, which will play in any player.  Many discs get released in specific area and Regions where the studios feel they have the best chance to turn a profit.

There are programs on the Web that you can download that will enable you to suck in a PAL DVD to your computer and make it Region free.  Bish is a little better with it than I am, though I used DVD Encryptor and DVD Shrink if I remember correctly.  That's one way around it.

Alice

I found it for $7.50 - region 1.